Joe From Cincinnati

Main rules and spoilers learned from L5R Live Demo

116 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

EDIT: Updated with notes from khift on Discord

Rules:

Second player gains 1 fate at the beginning of the game

There is no action window between declaring attackers and declaring defenders.

There is an action window between conflicts.

There is an action window after conflicts are finished (but still during the conflict phase)

There was no mention of an action window during the Fate or the Regroup Phase.

Imperial Favor only applies if you have a participating character

Even characters that are dishonored add to Imperial Favor calculation

Characters sent home are not bowed – they return in the same state they were in.

Spoilers:

Rout: 1 cost neutral event Action: During a conflict choose an opponent’s participating character with lower military skill than a participating bushi character you control -- move that character home.

Kaiu Envoy: 1M/0P/1G Crab Dynasty character for 1fate. Bushi trait with Sincerity and Courtesy (Gain a fate and gain a card when he leaves play)

Chaaaaarge -- 1 fate cost neutral event, Action: during a military conflict choose a character in your provinces -- put it into play into the conflict.

Court Games – 0 cost, Action: During a political conflict, choose a participating character you control or choose an opponent – if you chose a participating character you control, honor that character. If you chose an opponent, that opponent must choose and dishonor a participating character they control. (Max 1 per conflict.)

Ornate fan is a 0/2 for 0 restricted neutral attachment

Manicured Gardens is a 4 province strength air province that has the action: During a conflict at this province, gain 1 fate

daymio's favor: 0 cost dragon attachment action: bow this attachment, the next attachment to this character costs 1 less in this phase

Entrenched Position confirmed. 5 strength earth province that gains +5 province strength during a military conflict.

And, of course the spoiler for Phoenix, which is the next clan to be previewed

DEtOhVtXoAEacGx.png%3Alarge?width=428&height=597

Did I miss anything?

Edited by Joe From Cincinnati
Updated with notes from khift on Discord

I am under the impression that Court Games are supposed to be political conflict only but they didn't read the card exactly. It certainly "sounds" like political conflict card. Otherwise it is just a better Way of the Crane.

Joe From Cincinnati likes this

2 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Did I miss anything?

Entrenched Position, 5 Str province with +5 Str during Mil conflicts.

Daimyo's Favour:  Attachment, 0 fate.  Action: Bow to reduce the cost of the next attachment you play this phase by 1.

HirumaShigure likes this

Haha that Phoenix card is awesome!

I'm glad to see more rules.  One of the biggest reasons I haven't played yet is that I don't want to play with incomplete rules.  The other big reason is incomplete card set.

Devin-the-Poet and JJ48 like this

Just now, Casanunda said:

Entrenched Position, 5 Str province with +5 Str during Mil conflicts.

Daimyo's Favour:  Attachment, 0 fate.  Action: Bow to reduce the cost of the next attachment you play this phase by 1.

True.

I guess we technically didn't know those.

So which of the newly revealed cards did you guys and gals like more? I think Charge, Rout and Court Games are very strong neutral cards that will end up being staples for quite some time.

The one fate cost, double keyword crab guy is perfect for the clan's sacrifice theme and will complement the Eager Scout nicely. 

The +5 bonus on mil/pol provinces are confirmed and look good. 

The fate producing province is also neat.

Display of Power, the Phoenix card at the end, is going to give you much breathing space when you need a ring effect but the opponent has the chance to declare first conflict or when you need to activate the effects of two rings and your opponent tries to deprive you of one.

Also Court Games is only in Political Conflicts.

4 minutes ago, BordOne said:

I am under the impression that Court Games are supposed to be political conflict only but they didn't read the card exactly. It certainly "sounds" like political conflict card. Otherwise it is just a better Way of the Crane.

Maybe they mean "court" as in tennis or basketball, as opposed to courtiers?

SHARKOSAURUS and BordOne like this

Court Games is going to be amazing with how honoring works... 0 cost so there isn't any real tell.  Some cards are beastly if you can honor them for free turn 1...

HirumaShigure likes this

Posted (edited)

So they didn't play any holdings and I'm still a bit unclear about how they function.  Can a Province refill with a Dynasty card when a holding is populating it or does that effectively fill that Province slot?  I feel like we knew the answer to that, but I can't for the life of me recall how it's suppose to work.

Kaiu Envoy is big.  They needed another meaty sacrifice target.  Also it was nice to see Kisada do so much work in the game.

Edited by phillos
Kitsu Seinosuke and BordOne like this

Just now, SHARKOSAURUS said:

More spells not requiring shugenja. Huh. 

I feel this card is partially aimed at turn 1 - your opponent may be first to attack, but you don't want to bother splitting your forces to defend it so you let it go through - and then steal the ring activation.  Hopefully you don't lose the province at the same time ofc...

Being aimed at turn 1 you may not have a Shugenja out, and then the card wouldn't be so great.  

Just now, phillos said:

So they didn't play any holdings and I'm still a bit unclear about how they function.  Can a Province refill with a Dynasty card when a holding is populating it or does that effectively fill that Province slot?  I feel like we knew the answer to that, but I can't for the life of me recall how it's suppose to work.

Kaiu Envoy is big.  They needed another meaty sacrifice target.

afaik - the way holdings work is that they clog the province.  You can discard them to refill them, but the holding doesn't allow another dynasty card to refill.

Also - iirc - if a province is broken then the card in the province is discarded if you don't buy it.

JJ48 and LordBlunt like this

1 minute ago, blackheartz said:

So which of the newly revealed cards did you guys and gals like more? I think Charge, Rout and Court Games are very strong neutral cards that will end up being staples for quite some time.

Amen. Charge is great if you want to play beefier guys, you only get them for a turn, but it's super awesome with Reprieve and readying effects.  Rout just wins you conflicts if you have high Mil, great way of defending Pol.  Court Games is fantastic for Crane or even Lion Courtiers, but could be useful in any deck just for the dishonor.

4 minutes ago, blackheartz said:

The one fate cost, double keyword crab guy is perfect for the clan's sacrifice theme and will complement the Eager Scout nicely. 

Yep, he's crazy good.  My Crab games are basically worthless, since I wasn't playing with this card or Hida Guardian.

5 minutes ago, blackheartz said:

The fate producing province is also neat.

I find it a little underwhelming, it's certainly not game-breaking.  Depends what it's competing against, though.

Kitsu Seinosuke likes this

Posted (edited)

That is how I understood a broken province to work, and how I suspected holdings worked.  I just couldn't find anywhere to confirm it since they really don't discuss holdings in the articles.  Must have come up in one of the videos.

Edited by phillos

1 minute ago, shosuko said:

I feel this card is partially aimed at turn 1 - your opponent may be first to attack, but you don't want to bother splitting your forces to defend it so you let it go through - and then steal the ring activation.  Hopefully you don't lose the province at the same time ofc...

Being aimed at turn 1 you may not have a Shugenja out, and then the card wouldn't be so great.  

Oh no, don't get me wrong this card seems awesome and I'm excited to display power all over the place. My concern is that this is another spell not requiring a shugenja. Seems to be an odd call, so far. 

3 minutes ago, kiramode said:

Pictures would be much appreciated. I want to make proxies ASAP

Seconded. I have a spreadsheet to update

1 minute ago, SHARKOSAURUS said:

Oh no, don't get me wrong this card seems awesome and I'm excited to display power all over the place. My concern is that this is another spell not requiring a shugenja. Seems to be an odd call, so far. 

But it is thematic - with no one even on the battlefield, the Phoenix still control the elements better lol.

1 minute ago, shosuko said:

But it is thematic - with no one even on the battlefield, the Phoenix still control the elements better lol.

*Phoenix and anyone who splashes them.

It just seems odd that CTM specifically requires a shugenja but no other spell so far (IIRC) does. 

How does Charge work? Do you have to pay the cost on the character as well as the cost of the event? And can you put additional fate on the character when it comes into play?