Truckerpunk

Your Desired Future Expansions (Lets be positive on the future of Descent)

If FFG doesn't bring us the expansion we want, what about making our own ?

Using Runewars miniatures mini, we could do a really descent (for the case) Descent Expansion.

What do you think of it, guys and girls ?

My only concern is the scale difference for the RWM.
I would love to buy some of these minis, but i want to see some images first compared to Descent heroes, monsters.

Edited by jopan

Well you're certainly welcome to add content for Descent. There's a Quest Vault portion of the forums that FFG setup to support fan made content, sadly it's not getting too much use. Personally I'd love to see these guys in a campaign:

Carrion Lancer-1.jpg

12 hours ago, Ravenus said:

I would like see Uthuk Y'llan in a campaign. I know that the overlord it's suppose to be Waiqar but, maybe a change of faction could be interesting.

Is that true? Where does it state that the Overlord is Waiqar affiliated? I know the last few expansions had a lot of undead... but at the same time the Overlord monsters also include a lot of non undead? 

I'm just asking because I'm interested in the lore behind it.

Edited by Gridash

18 hours ago, Ravenus said:

I would like see Uthuk Y'llan in a campaign. I know that the overlord it's suppose to be Waiqar but, maybe a change of faction could be interesting.

The Identity of the OL is different in each campaign.

The OL in the ShadowRune campaign is Baron Zach, in Heirs of Blood it is Lady Eliza, etc.

Really, all I want is for FFG to fill the glaring gaps in their Descent 2e line-up:

• A counterpart expansion to Manor of Ravens with two female heroes.
  • Hero and Monster Collections for the remaining 12 Conversion Kit heroes.
  • As of now nine Familar/Servant miniatures, likely more in the end.
  • And now also two Uthuk-themed expansions covering the eight hybrid class combinations not yet covered.

Beyond that they'd get extra appreciation for two more big box expansions - one sandy desert-themed and one snowy mountain-themed. After that I'd be perfectly content with their Descent team exclusively sticking with the Road to Legend app indefinitely, although the occasional additional campaign book would be quite sweet, too.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:23 AM, Ceahorse said:

I'd really be keen on more co-op card quests like dark elements, forgotten souls and nature's ire. They are great to play with my son. As I usually play 2 player. The ROL app is good. But I find the card quests more stream line and just easier to use. 

I think if someone(s), were to put something together that we could use in Descent -using ONLY the little expansion/army packs from RuneWars, they'd really have something. Something requiring the core game though... Well that's a much larger investment, and I've been avoiding RuneWars on purpose, because of the effect being a completionist on Descent, Imperial Assault, and X-Wing had on my wallet. I'm glad I didn't get QUITE as sucked in to Armada *whew*. 

Honestly, Asmodee/FFG would be really smart to do this the way they did there Arkham Horror minis a while back: 100% compatible with 3+ games. If you took that further, and included the necessary cards to deploy certain units in multiple games, you might really have a big seller -now that things are digitally backed on the Descent side, they could even say something like "if you buy these three or four enemy packs, the app will unlock a new campaign that uses them", aside from tiles and tokens, it wouldn't be that much different from the boxed expansions of yore. Personally, I've got more heroes than I can shake a stick at, especially if I incorporate the conversion kit, unless they're going to give us the last couple unexplored multiclass kits, I'm not too worried about just growing the enemy variety. And, if I found that I'd picked up, say, 4-5 packs that ALSO worked with another title, I'd probably be more keen to shell out for that core game (and future packs that were still cross-compatible would only be an easier sell.)

But back to the earlier discussion idea, maybe see if someone can generate something reasonable on the cheap with expansion units? You'd have to figure out reasonable equivalencies and skills for the enemies, but I'm sure there have been some units between the two games that are at least a LITTLE close to each other, which could be used as a basis for any mathematical conversion purposes at the least.

Edited by TehHandsomeDan
Correction regarding quote, clarification of intent

On 10/24/2017 at 8:50 AM, Gridash said:

Is that true? Where does it state that the Overlord is Waiqar affiliated? I know the last few expansions had a lot of undead... but at the same time the Overlord monsters also include a lot of non undead? 

I'm just asking because I'm interested in the lore behind it.

As far as I'm aware the overlord is undefined- the only exception being in Descent first edition there were avatars added in the expansions that gave the overlord a presence on the board, but in the current version two it's a sort of permanently undefined entity working against the players and controlling whatever enemies and obstacles they face. http://www.descentinthedark.com/_a_/avatars.php

I think the confusion is that Waiqar's dominion is that of death and the core quests have a lot of Waiqar focus but the overlord isn't directly linked to any enemy including Waiqar so I guess you could see the enemies as being merely the overlord's pawns. In situations with Deathborn characters such as Ardus, The OL could be seen as sort of acting as Waiqar I guess as Ardus and co serve Waiqar.

Interestingly one of the avatars looks like Ardus in first edition: http://www.descentinthedark.com/_m_/master_of_the_hunt.php

Just found my Descent 1e kit after getting *slightly more* organised post house-move, makes me even sadder for what's not in 2e, great as 2e is, all those nice scenic tiles and some of the different map tiles for starters.

I hadn't heard about Sea of Blood until this thread, and I think it sounds absolutely amazing.  Really cool if, like @Swissman suggested, Lieutenants could also have their own ships, and we could see large ship to ship battles.

As a big Imperial Assault fan, that's totally something I can get behind, too, as it could also lead to capitol ship fights in that game.  Especially considering Thrawn has possibly been teased.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, subtrendy2 said:

I hadn't heard about Sea of Blood until this thread, and I think it sounds absolutely amazing.  Really cool if, like @Swissman suggested, Lieutenants could also have their own ships, and we could see large ship to ship battles.

You can still pick that expansion up new in shrink wrap for a fraction of it's original MSRP. Really cool idea but suffered from way too little playtesting though there are some fan made solutions on how to fix it.

I'm not so fond of thoses carrion lancers and other undeads and we already have an expansion on this theme.

Uthuk would be better

But I really wanted something else, like a dark forest werewolf, or a campaign about Greyhaven, Al Kalim, things like that

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rugal said:

I'm not so fond of thoses carrion lancers and other undeads and we already have an expansion on this theme.

Sure we have a bunch of undead at this point, but is butt head really the undead that you want? I mean sure reanimate on stilts has grown on me some but it took some real getting used to. Barghests are fairly B list and Zombies are not exactly my go to monster.  Really....it's just bug puppet and flaming skulls that I'm particularly into.

I'd still love to see banshees and necromancers. Also, to me carrion lancers are a pretty cool concept.

Uthuk would be better

But I really wanted something else, like a dark forest werewolf, or a campaign about Greyhaven, Al Kalim, things like that

I want them to keep pumping out campaigns period. And sure flesh rippers are cool but I'm rather meh about the  Uthuk Y’llan. I would very much enjoy a werewolf hero though...

pic3434218.jpg

Edited by Bucho

On 06/04/2018 at 7:29 PM, Bucho said:

So...picked up the carrion lancers last night. Everything Runewars is on clearance at my local game store...

pic4073244.jpg

Rune wars is in clearance already?? Ouch that's not great! 

19 minutes ago, alexbobspoons said:

Rune wars is in clearance already?? Ouch that's not great! 

It’s a shame because it’s a great game. Seems to be struggling to get an audience. I picked up two core sets for less than £100 then spent £400 on expansions so I’m sure by some measure I’ve been financially prudent 😳

15 hours ago, Bucho said:

I want them to keep pumping out campaigns period. And sure flesh rippers are cool but I'm rather meh about the  Uthuk Y’llan. I would very much enjoy a werewolf hero though...

pic3434218.jpg

I really love werewolves and it would be really cool to have one as a hero, but I think they would suit better as monsters (and i've already made some). Classic vampires could be cool too and i wish they were that group added to "heirs of blood"

As heroes, I rather prefer see some sort of a weremonkey, a Pandaren, a Leonin, or anything like that.
A Pandaren healer would be really cool, though

7 hours ago, rugal said:

I really love werewolves and it would be really cool to have one as a hero, but I think they would suit better as monsters (and i've already made some).

Meh, there are already vampire lieutenants and as for werewolves what makes them more than just another blue+red? As for the rest, I don't think we're talking about Terrinoth anymore...even werewolves are pretty obscure. What I like about their last appearance are the consequences which means it would best shine as a hero or at least a condition.