Joelist

eJyn-Maz or eJyn-Padme?

I have now gotten three games under my belt with my eJyn-Maz build. 3-0 all deckings. Two against the EMO Twins and one against Han-Rey. 

with that said, the games got progressively closer and closer and against Han-Rey I lost Jyn and Maz was down to 2 health when they decked out. I'm just pondering if perhaps Maz's control of my dice should be traded for Padme's higher health and more powerful mill effect? With any mill deck the milling needs to happen hard and fast lest you get killed in the process. While I've liked the die consistency Maz adds to the mix Padme would let me rip cards right off of the oppoenet's deck consistently in addition to when I can claim the battlefield (I run Command Center as my Battlefield and have Ascension Gun in my deck to hopefully let me get the effect if I don't get the initial choice). 

I've considered both of these combos as well, and I think ultimately eJyn + Padme is the superior mill deck. Maz's ability is really helpful, but the synergy with Padme + Con Artist is great and if you can get Fast Hands on both of these ladies you can largely get the same effect. The extra health is also very important and I would run Otoh Gunga as my battleground because it keeps us alive and is useless to our opponent. This also brings cards like New Orders and Hyperspace Jump into consideration as we're not likely to win the battlefield roll.

Key to making mill work is healing and die mitigation. Right now eJyn+Padme is fun but ultimately I don't think mono Yellow has enough healing after the Ammo Belt fix.

Edited by SlimDiggity

I thought about running Otoh Gunga as the battlefield but one nice thing about Command Center is for this deck it synergizes well with Ascension Gun to blow cards off of the enemy deck even if I lost the battlefield choice roll. 

Also, I now have two copies of Rebel in the deck which is essential as they can fish Second Chance out of the discard pile. And if I do that first Jyn's power means it costs me nothing to play Rebel and only 2 for Second Chance. I just drove Palpy crazy doing that no less than two different times which together with having both Lone Operatives out meant he did not kill either Jyn or Maz and got decked. 

Two more plays - two more deckings.  I decked an eJyn - Rebel Commando build (I don't get this build really) and also decked eDooku - eVentress. The eDooku game was humorous because Maz had Second chance save her three times - once naturally and twice because I had used Rebel to fisk it back from discard. You gotts love Jyn and Rebel - free recursion!

My friend has been running eJyn/Ackbar, and I really like that deck. Ackbar can generate some discard, and Jyn rolls plenty of discard by herself. Ackbar's ability is an awesome bonus for discarding their hand, and he gives you access to red weapons and events as well. It seems like a really fun deck! 

One thing a lot of people forget about mill is that you usually need to kill a character to win, and Ackbar's ability can help you with this in some cases. Also, depending on how you play it, Planetary Uprising can go in there too.

I'm starting to prefer Maz as a partner to Jyn in this deck because of her dice effect coupled with good odds she rolls a focus. It lets me focus Jyn to discard and fire it off immediately. And when I have Fast Hands out it can go on either character. When Jyn has it I can resolve one of her two dice immediately and use Maz on the other. When Maz has it in effect it means her power becomes resolve three dice instead of two. 

The trick of course is keeping Maz alive, which is why she is actually where Second Chance goes first. 

Well, three more wins for eJyn-Maz and again all deckings. Even better two were Poe-Maz decks. There's nothing quite like the look on the face of your opponent who is playing Poe-Maz when all his toys get milled away consistently. The third was an FN based deck which also got its toys milled away. 

The success of this build does have me wondering if part of the perception about certain speed/aggro decks stems in part from groupthink in the meta? Poe-Maz seems to fall hard to a persistent Mill deck and indeed so does FN - in both cases it is because they require you to have goodies in your hand to work their magic and Mill in Destiny specifically strips out your hand. 

On 2017-07-15 at 2:20 AM, Joelist said:

I thought about running Otoh Gunga as the battlefield but one nice thing about Command Center is for this deck it synergizes well with Ascension Gun to blow cards off of the enemy deck even if I lost the battlefield choice roll. 

Also, I now have two copies of Rebel in the deck which is essential as they can fish Second Chance out of the discard pile. And if I do that first Jyn's power means it costs me nothing to play Rebel and only 2 for Second Chance. I just drove Palpy crazy doing that no less than two different times which together with having both Lone Operatives out meant he did not kill either Jyn or Maz and got decked. 

I also run a Jyn deck, but i combine it with rebel guy (the one with 10 health). The red is essential I think to allow C3PO, wich can change the game when changing a 2 shield or 2 gun into 2 discard (Or more if you play diplo. Imunity).

howerver, beware of Jyn ability, it's only good with events... And only the FIRST you play, if you play a 0 cost card first, then your next 1 point event has no rebate!

Chak

I like this one - http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/279115  ran it last night against a Palp - Bala deck.  Poor guy only got out one fast hands, one sith holocron and two holdout blasters before the game was over.  Of course I did get a little help from him getting bad rolls but still.  It was nice to be able to take away all of the emperors toys before he could use the holo to play them. :)

Ooops, it should work now.  I didn't have the "share decks" box checked in my profile setup.  I would also say that mine is no where near optimal since I don't have everything but it works well for me when I play it.  

Thanks a heap folks!

What cards would you consider optimal? 

I mean what are the key cards your looking for in the deck? 

Edited by Coyoti

The only cards truly required in a Jyn deck are Second Chance and Rebel. Those cards are awesome! Electroshock is also pretty important. 

Lone Operative is also super helpful, as is DL-44 Blaster, but they're not required. It's really up to you - just make sure you have enough dice control (including perhaps Jetpack and Rey's Staff) because Jyn's dice generate plenty of discard and damage by themselves. 

I'm winning without electroshock as I never pulled one in a pack. My important cards are:

Second Chance

Rebel

Con Artist

Lone Operative

Friends in Low Places

Maz's Goggles

Basically any card I can get my grubby paws on that is grey or yellow recursion is a candidate. 

Looks good! 

I might ditch Con Artist and Street Informants. Con Artist is nice, but it's really slow. Street Informants doesn't provide much additional if you already have Maz's Goggles. Maybe add in Infamous and Holdout Blaster? 

I'm not sure I'd ditch Con Artist. Yes it needs to hit its Special to be really good but as soon as it does the first time it gets better and better. I agree Street Informants is not super useful to a deck designed to destroy your opponents hand. Infamous would be interesting. I already splashed in Holdout Blaster simply because the card base at present lacks sufficient Mill and Recursion cards to fill the slots. 

Edited by Joelist

I think you're probably right to use Con Artist, given your description of the scene. 

The Con Artist decision definitely depends on your local meta. If your local scene is pretty casual (i.e. Plays the game the way the rules say to), Con Artist definitely has its place, but the fact that it takes so many rounds to become really useful makes it worthless against the top-tier rules-breaking Poe/Maz, Vader/Raider, Rey/Luke, Rey/QuiGon, and Vader/Kylo decks. Those decks, when built properly, can kill a normal opponent by round 2, and in the case of the Rey decks, you won't be able to respond with dice mitigation if they get lucky with their starting hand, so even with looping Second Chance, you usually won't have more than a couple rounds versus these decks unless you're investing your resources in killing one of their characters or continually recurring Second Chance, at which point those 2 early-game resources are probably better spent on weapons or getting Second Chance out there earlier.

In many metas, Con Artist is a good choice. It just so happens that my local meta is really, really fast, so it's never a great idea for me. At least 50% of my games are against some kind of Rey deck, and in the cases where they pull both Vibroknives in their first two rounds, killing Rey by the end of round 2 is pretty much essential, so I'd rather have more weapons than put Con Artist in there.

Actually as the thread relates I've been very successful against Poe-Maz and EMO Twins with this deck. Con Artist may indeed get fired somewhere along the line if I can locate and acquire something that works better. 

I advanced a theory upthread that we may be seeing some meta "groupthink" with regards to Poe-Maz and that in my experience it falls hard to a persistent Mill deck because without Poe's toys the deck is not that intimidating.

I think there is a lot of groupthink with regards to mill in general to be honest. 

Tried having some discussions about mill and it just gets shot down and Un-optimal and "can't keep up".