FTS Gecko

(SPOILERS) Game Of Thrones Season 7 Discussion

My general thoughts on this season.

Overall it's pretty good, though I think they are really really screwing up with Euron. They've gone full Euron Ex Machina. And thats not a good thing. Zero explanation for how he was able to build up that many ships basically instantaneously, find an enemy fleet in the middle of a storm and attack it without losing half his ships to the weather, and then magically sail to the complete opposite side of Westeros  not once, but twice in the span of what seems like a couple weeks.

Its also worth noting that Dragonstone blocks access to Kings Landing. Euron's fleet could not possibly have gotten to Kings Landing without being spotted and sunk by 3 angry dragons. He would have had to have sailed past Dragonstone first to go see Cercii, being spotted by Daenerys's fleet and dragons. Then sneak past Dragonstone AGAIN to go attack the Greyjoys on their way to Dorn. Then sneak past Dragonstone a 3rd time to take Ellaria back to Kings Landing. And finally sneak past Dragonstone a 4th time to catch up with the Unsullied just in time to sink their ships the exact moment they take Casterly Rock. Oh, and the distance by sea from Kings Landing to Casterly rock is around 3000 miles, so he would have had to

Its like the writers didn't take any geography or history lessons. Eurons galleys would have had to move at an average of 8.92 knots for 2 weeks straight, with no stopping, to catch the Unsullied in 2 weeks. Which is a patently ridiculous speed for the ships he has. Top speed for real galleys was around 4.1 knots, and that was with the wind helping.

He also had, at most, 6 months or so from when the Greyjoys stole most of his ships to when he shows up in Kings Landing with an entire new fleet. You telling me the tiny population of the Iron Islands built several hundred ships from the basically non-existent trees on the Iron Islands in 6 months at most? Even with unlimited wood supplies, no way could they have the manpower to make that many ships in that time. Let alone any number of good ships.

Edited by BadMotivator

2 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

Its also worth noting that Dragonstone blocks access to Kings Landing. Euron's fleet could not possibly have gotten to Kings Landing without being spotted and sunk by 3 angry dragons. He would have had to have sailed past Dragonstone first to go see Cercii, being spotted by Daenerys's fleet and dragons. Then sneak past Dragonstone AGAIN to go attack the Greyjoys on their way to Dorn. Then sneak past Dragonstone a 3rd time to take Ellaria back to Kings Landing. And finally sneak past Dragonstone a 4th time to catch up with the Unsullied just in time to sink their ships the exact moment they take Casterly Rock. Oh, and the distance by sea from Kings Landing to Casterly rock is around 3000 miles, so he would have had to

Argh.  Yeah... that's the kind of thing that really doesn't bear thinking about.

Yeah... The warping around is going to get even worse in the show. Just not enough episodes left to show a progressive timeline.

To actually make more sense they should of had Euron bringing the Sand Snakes to Kings Landing, after taking the Unsullied fleet at Casterly Rock. Maybe in the next episode. Euron is just kind of written poorly so far this season. He's too Johnny Deppish and there is absolutely no reason to keep his niece alive.

Edited by Jo Jo

Yeah, that would have made more sense - Euron not returning to King's Landing until he'd wiped out Daenerys' fleet.

I think it's probably hurt Euron a bit being introduced so late as well; not to mention the fact that HBO are trying to build him up as the big bad and a worthy successor to Ramsay Bolton pretty much out of nowhere.

9 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

6 months? Nah the greyjoy fleet sailed all the way to meereen and back. That's more than 6 months. 

And  I don't think they stole most of his ships. Just his best ones.

Even if he had more than 6 months, which he may have had I grant, he still got new ships ridiculously fast. He would have needed several years to rebuild up to where he was before.

Even today, it can take a long time to actually build a boat. 6 months to a year. And Euron definitely doesn't have enough men to simultaneously build 200ish warships. Maybe, at most, 50 at once. So 2-4 years to get the fleet he seems to have magically appeared.

Very disappointed in Episode 3, the pacing was bonkers.  You get 15 minutes of Jon & Danaerys doing nothing at all, then an entire house is wiped out to the last man by a tactical masterstroke in 30 seconds of montage.  The last five minutes or so felt so rushed it was like watching a 'previously on' highlights package, and it's crazy that they did that when the rest of the episode was so slow and pointless.

If they're going to focus on Daenerys this much they need to hurry up and make her interesting because the show just grinds to a halt whenever she's onscreen.

I like the character of Euron, but absolutely agree that he's just an ex machina plot device.  Daenerys spent six seasons get her armies to Westeros and Euron has single-handedly destroyed virtually all of them and two great houses in two scenes.

Edited by SOTL

heck to the feth yeah. That episode was 1000% pure awesome!

No stupid Euron ex machina. Check!

Awesome Dothraki and Dragon toasty action. Check!

The Lannisters really messed up on the ballista, now Danerys knows they exist and can hurt her dragons so she'll never fall for it again. The Lannister army is also basically destroyed. And whatever food they were trying to gather is now Danerys's(or burnt to a crisp. Seriously Dany, work on your aim. Hit the clumped up lines of soldiers, not the wagons behind them!).

Edited by BadMotivator

On 7/18/2017 at 11:02 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Hopes for episode 2:

• Arya standing over Ed Sheeran's cold, dead body

Actually, part of me would like to see him in another cameo in a later-on episode.....and then the face comes off and you realise it's actually arya.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:06 PM, FTS Gecko said:

I think it's probably hurt Euron a bit being introduced so late as well; not to mention the fact that HBO are trying to build him up as the big bad and a worthy successor to Ramsay Bolton pretty much out of nowhere.

Don't you miss the days when you thought Joffrey was as psychotic as characters in Westeros got?

On 7/31/2017 at 5:21 PM, BadMotivator said:

350px-Crownlands.png

To put into perspective. If you can't make out the text, Kings landing is at the neck of the bay bottom left, Dragonstone the outer of the two islands at the throat of the bay.

I'm prepared to credit that (a) only the 'best ships' of the Iron Fleet were stolen, not all of them, and (b) even if there hasn't been a major fleet building programme completed, Euron is so ridiculously awesome that he auto-wins any naval battle he's involved in, even if he's got no major numerical advantage, but....yeah.  Moving four times back and forth without alerting anyone is pretty ridiculous.

Moving the Dothraki to shore means there must be ships left at dragonstone....you'd think someone would keep an eye on the bay. I'm not sure how wide the straits at dragonstone is, but still. 

Edited by Magnus Grendel

1 hour ago, BlodVargarna said:

Lol ... :lol: you said "Dickon"

The reaction to that name was just awesome.

2 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

I have a feeling Bronn didn't make it out alive. Did the Tarly's get killed? I'll have to watch again.

What an episode.

I think Bronn tackled Jaime into the water, but Bronn is better dressed for swimming compared to Jaime, that armor would be too heavy to swim in (logically), but I am sure they will both survive. Tarlys, I am thinking Dickon got roasted and Randyll made it out and will try to join Dani since he was loyal to Rhaegar (through the Tyrells) during Robert's Rebellion.