Coyote Walks

Rokugan's Shield - Crab Preview

9 minutes ago, phillos said:

Feels like we need to splash for cheap conflict characters to sacrifice.  The Dynasty deck looks like it will be filled with holdings and 3+ cost characters mostly currently.

I was just thinking the same thing, but you can only really splash 4 characters into the conflict deck, since it's limited to 10 max and there are two conflict characters in faction who are a guaranteed 3 of (Stoic Gunso, Hiruma Ambusher).  Each clan previewed has at least 1, so it won't really affect what clan you splash.  Dragon has the best for value (Tattoed Wanderer), but Vengeful Oathkeeper seems like an interesting choice since he can potentially be free.  Normally he's useless, but if you're just going to sacrifice him, a body is a body.

Overall, I'm pleased.

Hida Tomonatsu gives me pause though. How often are you simultaneously winning a conflict on defense with this character and also trapping a worthwhile character (I.E. a 2 to 5 cost character with fate on them) in the conflict? Doing this to a character with no fate (or even 1 fate).

Playing Night's Watch in Thrones, I've learned that people don't generally declare attacks they don't expect to win. Sure, there are some triggers available that can help here, such as conflict characters that can blank abilities or boost strength...but still. Makes me nervous.

A lot of conditions to meet in order for Tomonatsu to be worthwhile, especially considering her mediocre stats. If she were a 4/3 or even a 3/3, I could overlook that you may never trigger her ability but, well, let's just say she doesn't exactly meet the Doji Challenger bar of 3 cost characters. Unfortunately, it looks like very few characters will in this game haha.

18 minutes ago, Casanunda said:

Dragon has the best for value (Tattoed Wanderer), but Vengeful Oathkeeper seems like an interesting choice since he can potentially be free.  Normally he's useless, but if you're just going to sacrifice him, a body is a body.

Don't forget Doomed Shugenja.

Edit: That's a dynasty card. Please ignore me.

Edited by Kitsu Seinosuke

22 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Overall, I'm pleased.

Hida Tomonatsu gives me pause though. How often are you simultaneously winning a conflict on defense with this character and also trapping a worthwhile character (I.E. a 2 to 5 cost character with fate on them) in the conflict? Doing this to a character with no fate (or even 1 fate).

Playing Night's Watch in Thrones, I've learned that people don't generally declare attacks they don't expect to win. Sure, there are some triggers available that can help here, such as conflict characters that can blank abilities or boost strength...but still. Makes me nervous.

A lot of conditions to meet in order for Tomonatsu to be worthwhile, especially considering her mediocre stats. If she were a 4/3 or even a 3/3, I could overlook that you may never trigger her ability but, well, let's just say she doesn't exactly meet the Doji Challenger bar of 3 cost characters. Unfortunately, it looks like very few characters will in this game haha.

Not only that but the character has to be non-unique.  Kinda negates the value of targeting character.  Good luck getting one character with fate that is worth meeting these conditions!  Borderlands defender looks stronger to me.

May be one of the worst uniques in the box.  Most disappointed with this card as I was very much looking forward to seeing the card that this art would go with and as it looks now is maybe the first to get cut out of the gate

Edited by hidasaurus

28 minutes ago, Casanunda said:

I was just thinking the same thing, but you can only really splash 4 characters into the conflict deck, since it's limited to 10 max and there are two conflict characters in faction who are a guaranteed 3 of (Stoic Gunso, Hiruma Ambusher).  Each clan previewed has at least 1, so it won't really affect what clan you splash.  Dragon has the best for value (Tattoed Wanderer), but Vengeful Oathkeeper seems like an interesting choice since he can potentially be free.  Normally he's useless, but if you're just going to sacrifice him, a body is a body.

Lion seems like a good splash in general since Crab has a lot of bushi.  They can take advantage of some of those Lion events.  Vengeful Oathkeeper as a cheap dude, Sashimono makes you more efficient, For Greater Glory for anyone you didn't sacrifice, Guidance of Ancestors to round off odd influence.  Doesn't help with Crab's political game, but they do have some reasonably stated political defenders.  Seems unlikely we will go on the offense politically right now.  Need more Yasuki cards.

Edited by phillos

Hida Tomonatsu's card is amazing. Not for the stats, or the effects it will have on the table. 

Just for the fact that we get this amazing art spoiled, and there was quite a bit of speculation who it could be. Kinda wistful looking, mono-no-aware expression on her face.

Then we get her story, fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with the clan champion, exemplifying the selfless nature of the crab. Sacrificing herself for the betterment of her clan and her empire, while also destroying her enemy.

Then you get her mechanic, where you defend successfully, sacrifice yourself to take out an enemy. And you put it all together into one beautiful card where the theme, artwork, story line, mechanics, all tie in perfectly.

Really my favorite type of card!

3 minutes ago, DarkBlack said:

Hida Tomonatsu's card is amazing. Not for the stats, or the effects it will have on the table. 

Just for the fact that we get this amazing art spoiled, and there was quite a bit of speculation who it could be. Kinda wistful looking, mono-no-aware expression on her face.

Then we get her story, fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with the clan champion, exemplifying the selfless nature of the crab. Sacrificing herself for the betterment of her clan and her empire, while also destroying her enemy.

Then you get her mechanic, where you defend successfully, sacrifice yourself to take out an enemy. And you put it all together into one beautiful card where the theme, artwork, story line, mechanics, all tie in perfectly.

Really my favorite type of card!

It's insanely thematic, which is great, but I'm not sure it's actually going to be good.

Hida Steve signing up.

Definitely gonna be playing around with Crab stuff, in a manner.

I want to see what happens when you drop a Yojimbo and pass and build a fat bank of fate into the future. A future full of enormously loaded Hida Kisada, and lots of pain.

I didn't know I wanted these cards so much. So defensively delicious. 

36 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Likely more often than you think. Characters with a lot of Fate might be one of the easiest to identify "good" targets for her, but others exist as well. Niten Master before he full Voltrons up could completely hamstring a Dragon offensive.

36 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Intimidating Hida seems to be designed to force those uncertain attacks with Watch Commander making Conflict hand based wins very expensive.

26 minutes ago, Spawnod said:

this clan seems strong, but may run out of steam, also it will be difficult to keep the Kisada's ability active against political decks. 

Maybe not. The Mountain Does Not Fall and Steadfast Witch Hunter allow you to swarm Political conflicts and then reuse a few of those forces to semi-solo a Military conflict.

Edited by Ultimatecalibur

I think someone had a connection error.

1 hour ago, JRosen9 said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the crab.  They kept focusing on the fact the crab defend, but I see no way to win by defending, and while I guess there isn't an honor clock in this game your opponent has to attack you at some point, it just seems underwhelming.  Maybe I was was just hoping to see the Wall as the stronghold that either gave you honor or caused your opponent an honor loss whenever you successfully defended all your conflicts that turn.

Actually there is. Every time you run out of cards you louse 5 honor. So crab can throw out a few guys each turn bid 1 and force you to make any attacks that will usually result in loss of honor.

Edited by Cold Iron1

My general assessment with how Crab will shake out against the spoiled clans:

Crane- Call me biased but I feel that this matchup strongly favors the Crane. Not only can Crane bully Crab in political conflicts, thereby nullifying the extremely strong ability of Hida Kisada, but I believe the various Crane control effects (read: Voice of Honor, Above Question), and ability to send home or move opponent characters (Kakita Kaezin and Doji Challenger, though Kaezin is gonna need some serious buffs to be particularly relevant) results in a rowdy bullying from my fellow crustacean-eating bird brethren.

Lion- Easily the most favorable matchup I can think of for Crab so far; Crab have the beefiest military personalities around and some serious removal to target the key Lion buffers. Add to that strong defense options including Watch Commander to turn off those honor-based boosts, and I think Crab will hold a solid edge in this pairing.

Dragon- The most interesting of the matchups we can go into depth on (at least in my opinion). Dragon bring balanced, low-numbers high-value pressure to the table with some control elements. I imagine Way of the Crab will play an important role in this matchup, as well as effects such as Hiruma Ambusher to shut down the effects so many dragons carry and Steadfast Witch Hunter/The Mountain Does Not Fall  to efficiently defend the smaller Dragon numbers. On the other hand, the Dragon being able to utilize ancestral attachments mitigates the damage of removal. Access to covert via Tattooed Wanderer and control effects like Mirumoto's Fury will badly limit Crab options on both offense and defense. It is worth mentioning that the Crab sacrifice mechanic blunts the harm caused by Dragon fate manipulation as well. I think in general this matchup will lean slightly to Crab, but a Dragon deck that splashes Crane for more control may well be able to secure an advantage.

49 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

Overall, I'm pleased.

A 2-5 Fated character would certainly be a good target, but I don't know that it's the primary target we should have in mind.  For one thing, you could also use it to throw a small, easy-to-deal-with guy back on top of the opponent's deck, burying their better cards one card deeper.  It could also be used to delay having to deal with a character who still wants to cause problems, either by being straightened or by simply using an ability while bowed. 

I mean sure, if you manage to get the upper hand against Toturi with several fate on him then go ahead and bounce him, but let's not limit that our imaginations to that one scenario.

4 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

A 2-5 Fated character would certainly be a good target, but I don't know that it's the primary target we should have in mind.  For one thing, you could also use it to throw a small, easy-to-deal-with guy back on top of the opponent's deck, burying their better cards one card deeper.  It could also be used to delay having to deal with a character who still wants to cause problems, either by being straightened or by simply using an ability while bowed. 

I mean sure, if you manage to get the upper hand against Toturi with several fate on him then go ahead and bounce him, but let's not limit that our imaginations to that one scenario.

Well, they can't be unique. She only bounces non uniques. Which is just another condition heaped on top of a bunch of already difficult to align conditions haha.

Edited by Joe From Cincinnati

Shhh...just hope your opponent doesn't read the card that carefully.

But seriously, good catch.  I knew that, but it slipped my mind and I don't know the titles of any expensive, non-unique characters.  Just replace "Toturi" with one of them and the point still stands, however.

After now seeing Intimidating Hida, I'm a little less worried for them, however, they appear to be a clan that will be much more reliant on getting their champ into play, when compared to other clans.

We could end up seeing Lion not even running their champ.

Yokuni is hardcore, but Dragon has other solid characters that can get the job done.  They just want Yokuni in play because he's a bads$$.......Crab appear to need Kisada to even stand a chance.

Crane has a lot of cheap/effective characters that can keep things together until they can make bigger plays with Hotaru, but, if she doesn't show up in time, all is not lost.

Kisada's ability is so good that it's a completely different game without him in play......and it may not even be winnable without him.  Thematically it's spot on.....in fact I would say that the in game cards for Crab are the best representation of the story that we've seen so far.....and I feel FFG has done an amazing job of capturing the feel of each clan within the printed cards.

While I appreciate how well FFG has done at capturing the essence of the game, I'm still not sure that Crab players would be ok with losing 'because Kisada never showed up.'  Now this might not be the case and I could be way off.  Hopefully as more cards are revealed this feeling I have will diminish but right now I feel like Kisada is so good that the rest of the clan kind of top a bit as a result.  

If anyone has played the Star Wars LCG they might look at Crab and equate them to a pod of cards that you pick because they have one amazingly strong card with the rest being mostly chaff.  Whereas other clans might be more well rounded and have their relative power split more equally amongst them.  It's a hard choice.  Kisada is the best champ so far imo, and I'm going to want to play him......just not sure I can live with the disappointment of losing when I don't see him or if my opponent can neutralize him.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

My biggest complaint is that there isn't as much dishonor support as I was hoping.

With only one shugenja it's probably not worth playing Cloud the Mind, but between Kisada, Hiruma Ambusher, and Watch Commander there's probably enough native action negation to make up for it.

The Stronghold is a better version of the Dragon Stronghold since it doesn't depend on drawing and buying attachments. The Mountain Does not Fall is just a straight up better version of Indomitable Will especially with Borderland Defender.

I really like that most of the Crab conflict cards only cost 1 fate.

Can Steadfast Witch Hunter sac herself to trigger her ability?

I think people completely underestimate the sacrifice-stuff. The fate mechanic and the fact that you can blow up your bowed and zero-fate-dudes, makes that stuff strong imo. Also Crab has the best card-draws and honor-losses of all Clans previewed so far. Thats a lot of choke for honor-clans like Lion and Crane.

They will be much stronger, than they look like at the moment.

Also: Freakin Kisada! I was really impressed by Hotaru und Toturi. But now that I've seen Yokuni and Kisada...

31 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Shhh...just hope your opponent doesn't read the card that carefully.

But seriously, good catch.  I knew that, but it slipped my mind and I don't know the titles of any expensive, non-unique characters.  Just replace "Toturi" with one of them and the point still stands, however.

The Niten Master seems to be the ideal target for her. Hopefully I'm proven wrong because I really want to include that art in my decks.