Coyote Walks

Rokugan's Shield - Crab Preview

24 minutes ago, Casanunda said:

Is it just me, or were there not that many cards spoiled?

That Yojimbo looks pretty good, as does the Ambusher.  Seems like Crab are going to want to play some conflict characters just to up the body count; you never put fate on those guys anyway, so they make great sacrifices!

EDIT:  13 new cards spoiled for Dragon in their article, only 9 new ones in this article.  Doesn't count stronghold + province.

I agree with you.  I feel like we are missing something.  Haven't added it all up but I feel we are also missing a unique or two?  I'll go back and check.  I believe other clans each have 4 uniques including clan champs and I only count 2  for the crab, but maybe someone can confirm that.

Im still a bit mixed in the Crab.  Kisada's ability appears to be what makes it breaks this clan.  While I like it thematically, it seems like the Crab are going to have a difficult time maintaining any sort of board presence without Kisada in play.

Hopefully the rest of the cards reveal a little more of how the clan will function.

14 minutes ago, BordOne said:

There is one more spoiler in team covenant video:

3 fate cost: Intimidating Hida 4 military / 2 political, reaction: after an opponent passes on declaring a conflict - that player loses 1 honor.

Why couldn't you have told me that before I redid the entire spoiler post?

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the crab.  They kept focusing on the fact the crab defend, but I see no way to win by defending, and while I guess there isn't an honor clock in this game your opponent has to attack you at some point, it just seems underwhelming.  Maybe I was was just hoping to see the Wall as the stronghold that either gave you honor or caused your opponent an honor loss whenever you successfully defended all your conflicts that turn.

I'll be honest: I'm not feeling the Crab. Their whole schtick appears to be "we eat people", which sounds nice until you realise that they can't afford to lose those people. Lion have cheap characters and plentiful recursion; Crab have neither.

What would make Crab amazing would be some characters with an effect which triggers on them leaving play, possibly something similar to Yu. Until they get that, I can't get behind them.

That said, Hida Kisada is harder than iron, and could carry a board by himself. Giving him Duelist Training would be hilarious.

20 minutes ago, hidasaurus said:

Wish the way of the crab was targeted removal, but at that cost I understand why it isn't.

It's bonker's already since you can play it at anytime.

Your opponent can't play his champion without someone else on the board. Your opponent can't end a turn with only a single good character. (with void ring and the tetsubo this is easier said then done).

Lion just burn down your provinces, Crab on the other hand burn down your board, table, house  and their own. And if you dare to complain about it you lose honor and get the standard Crab reply: The Shadowlands is worse.

For 20 years i've believed the Crab was there to keep the Shadowland out of the Empire, now i'm thinking it's the other way around.

20 minutes ago, hidasaurus said:

I agree with you.  I feel like we are missing something.  Haven't added it all up but I feel we are also missing a unique or two?  I'll go back and check.  I believe other clans each have 4 uniques including clan champs and I only count 2  for the crab, but maybe someone can confirm that.

We're missing probably a 1-cost and a 2-cost (27 and 30).  As far as uniques go.  There are 3 per clan, except Crane, who have an extra one for good reasons.  Crab have Hida Kisada, Kaiu Shuichi and Hida Tomonatsu.

Looking at my numbers, Crab come in between Lion and Crane in average cost.  Have higher average Military than anyone so far, but have Politics worse than both Crane and Dragon, not to mention a dreadful Glory stat (average < 1).  They do appear to be more balanced, however.

10 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the crab.  They kept focusing on the fact the crab defend, but I see no way to win by defending, and while I guess there isn't an honor clock in this game your opponent has to attack you at some point, it just seems underwhelming.  Maybe I was was just hoping to see the Wall as the stronghold that either gave you honor or caused your opponent an honor loss whenever you successfully defended all your conflicts that turn.

You win by counter-attacking, which they have several tools to assist with this.  The defense bonuses mean that you have to commit less to defend, so you have more to throw for offense.  Additionally, the sacrifice mechanics help to ensure you get a lot of mileage out of all of your character, further increasing general efficiency.

32 minutes ago, hidasaurus said:

I have mixed feelings on this review.  Not a big fan of the sacrifice mechanic in general, but looks like I will probably be playing it for a while.  It doesn't look like we have particularly cheap units, but I assume i just won't be putting much fate on characters, which sort of goes against my style.

The sacrifice mechanic is going to be very strong. Characters leave play every turn, there's nothing you can do about it. You might as well control how that character leaves play and get an effect out of it. Funeral Pyre and the Witchhunter are fantastic for that - being able to sacrifice a character that's leaving play anyway for a card is going to be an incredible impact on gameplay. Essentially each character turns into a resource that can be used for another purpose other than attacking or defending. That is perfect for Crab - make use of every available resource.

Just now, phillos said:

Feels like we need to splash for cheap conflict characters to sacrifice.  The Dynasty deck looks like it will be filled with holdings and 3+ cost characters mostly currently.

Don't forget about the imperial's. Unlike real life the perfect fodder to throw off your wall.

I really like the sacrifice theme, or rather I think it will be very good for the mentality of all of us. We need to remember that in this game our people will be leaving constantly. Of course the crab can utilize those people who will be leaving anyways, getting the most use out of them. I think I'm going to proxying crab until we have Phoenix to proxy, if only to help me get out of the habit of wanting to load all my guys up with fate. Actually, I think from now on if someone is switching from another card game to new5r, even old5r, I'm going to suggest they play at least a game of crab, just to drill into them that none of their people are sticking around. They don't need to run deeps to turn into corpses, they get those naturally. 

2 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

You mean like the Vengeful Berserker?

Fair point.

I was thinking more along the lines of characters with "when this character leaves play" triggers, possibly from Sincerity or other keyworded abilities. Vengeful Berserker is a beast, but he needs some extra-delicious people to eat.

In this game every character has an expiration date.  I don't think the sacrifice bad considering a bowed character at home with zero fate is essentially dead anyway.  We'll have to see as more cards are revealed for how all this develops.

BTW - Kisada being 7/2/0 is awesome, and his cancel ability is great!  This makes me really anxious to see Shoju.

Edited by shosuko

Excellent clan and mechanics. I like decks that force your opponent to change its gamestyle and plan, and Crab seems to be the master in this so far. I will probably not support their colours (go Scorpion!)  but I can see myself playing with them a lot... just to learn how to beat them obviously ;)