Seastan

Mountain of Fire Preview w/ Caleb

19 posts in this topic

cool interview. He did ping Caleb twice there at the beginning of this just being the end of the saga and not THE END.   So that is good to hear, haha. Even though news is slow, that is probably the best confirmation we'll see that there is still material forthcoming...at least how I interpreted it.

I wasn't that hyped for a Saga since Flame of the west :P

Nobody mentioned the eagle objective ally, what probably is the final nail in the coffin for an eagle hero.

I guess it won't be allowed by the rules, but lore Aragorn would be so nuts in this "dire" quests :D

I am not that sad no cards were spoiled. It looses a good amount of magic if you know all the cards when you open the box. Sure I simply could ignore the spoilers, but I just can't resist it^^

dr00 likes this

1 hour ago, mewmartigan said:

cool interview. He did ping Caleb twice there at the beginning of this just being the end of the saga and not THE END.   So that is good to hear, haha. Even though news is slow, that is probably the best confirmation we'll see that there is still material forthcoming...at least how I interpreted it.

That's how I took it too.  But if we're down to one deluxe & cycle per year things will be much slower than before.

1 hour ago, Calvadur said:

I guess it won't be allowed by the rules, but lore Aragorn would be so nuts in this "dire" quests :D

Not so much.  The most you can reduce your threat is 1 he said.  So all your Greetings and Councils are reduced in power too.  Galadriel might be bomber though.

5 hours ago, mewmartigan said:

I really hope it means a new cycle is comming and not some PoD quests and Nightmare ones. It would make me really sad to see the game end now that it's getting interesting.

3 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

That's how I took it too.  But if we're down to one deluxe & cycle per year things will be much slower than before.

I don't mind a slower pace if it means they will keep developing new cycles for it. 

dr00 likes this

17 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Not so much.  The most you can reduce your threat is 1 he said.  So all your Greetings and Councils are reduced in power too.  Galadriel might be bomber though.

and Spirit Beregond!

Bullroarer Took likes this

Let's theorize how they may do the scenario.

As you can play the last two quests simultaneous or after one another I'd say you count the rounds you survive and that will be your timer for the last quest.

I'd say more interesting will be the way they keep you from playing forever as serval decks should be able to handle a "standard" quest for 15+ rounds, especially with no need to make progress. Of course you would threat out eventually, but that would take way to long.
So for me there are two options: Overwhelming us with enemies or insane threat gain (like return to mirkwood solo). Theme-wise the overhelming parth seems more fitting. But how to do that? Just two cards per turn? I would prefer a staggered version where they increase the cards every other round until you have to reveal the whole deck :D. Or havening to discard cards until X (where X is turn - 1 or something).

What do yu think?

Teamjimby and Rouxxor like this

I think you have the right of it. You have to keep the black gate crew alive for as long as possible and the mount doom crew gets that many rounds to dunk the ring.

Rouxxor likes this

I think you were right: we count turns for the final adventures. But I think they will not have anything in the rules of the quest that make you threat increase more than 1 per turn, only players cards will do it. But it is just my personal thoughts based on what I recently see :).

I was happy to see this interview with Caleb. He's come a long way as a designer since Over Hill and Under Hill (though I still enjoy those quests), and he has consistently translated the spirit of the books into creative and fun quests in the Saga expansions. He's also told a relatively cohesive and comprehensive story (with each LotR Saga quest taking the name of a chapter) by following Frodo and Aragorn's stories while finding a way to incorporate other highlights (like Rouse the Ents at the beginning of The Road to Isengard). I'm happy to see that players like me who want to recreate the books in their campaign will not suffer from playing a minimal/no ally deck for Mount Doom. BTW, to recreate the books in my campaign, I'm still hoping for ally versions of Aragorn (for A Knife in the Dark and Flight to the Ford), Merry and Pippin (for The Ring Goes South and Journey in the Dark), and Éomer (for The Uruk-Hai). I'd also like a hero version of Grimbold (to accompany Gandalf and Erkenbrand in a reinforcements deck) for Helm's Deep.

Here's some speculation about the twist ending Caleb talked about for Mount Doom. He said (slightly condensed, starting at 10:56):

That was such a part of the books, right? That Frodo [..] unbelievably he makes it all the way into Mordor to Mount Doom from the Shire, from his little round door, and he's made it and he's like "No, I'm going to keep it." That moment of like, WHAT!? So that's definitely a risk that could happen in your game as well, and there is kinda a twist ending that I don't want to give away. I really want people when they read it for the first time to go "What!?" and I hope... yeah, we should get emails about that. [...] I think you're going to love it. Especially if you're a fan of the books, you're going to recognize like, "Oh that's perfect." That's what I hope you should feel, and that's where just about everybody [at FFG] was a big fan too. It is a little bit of a risk, which is why there was some initial pushback of like, "We're going to get angry emails." So, we'll see.

While I have no idea how Fortitude tests work, I suspect that the end of Mount Doom (potential SPOILER)

will not allow players to win through questing successfully or simply passing Fortitude tests; instead I imagine that players will have to survive long enough for Gollum to destroy the ring, so the conclusion will be a bit more passive once you've managed to reach that point, connected to Frodo's mercy towards Gollum, and perhaps eucatastrophic.

There'll also be an Eagle objective ally in The Black Gate Opens, perhaps like the eucatastrophic ally from The Battle of Five Armies, where you expect punishment from the encounter deck and instead receive help unlooked for.

Authraw and Rouxxor like this