Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

This augmented reality ap is a game changer for x wing

42 minutes ago, tsondaboy said:

My 2 cents

If you need an application to tell you where the ship will move you ve lost the game already...

Well I guess you already lost if you used an app to build your squadron list.:rolleyes: (hope you remembered the errata from the latest FAQ).

40 minutes ago, spacelion said:

How long before someone posts a version that doesnt need rules card?

Not any time soon, not with that app. Well there is one so called firing arc app but it doesn't work and scales horribly. The range bands are not in alignment with an actual range ruler unless you put it at a very specific position in 3 dimensional relation with the model. In short it doesn't work. I think the card as a reference is a nice touch because it gives the camera a standard reference point to place the overlay, that is if it works.

32 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Doesn't appear it's available on IOS.  Was interested to give it a whirl.  Could be useful for helping new players visualise things in the game.

This is the main thing. Teaching and practicing visualization. Quick way to guess a maneuver endpoint or estimate range and test it without going through the motions. 

I like the idea of the app, anything that could potentially help judges later on is a good thing in my book, maybe not for players to use during an actual game however.

Regarding the whole phone thing, i'm a culprit of this, i text my wife or friends and check up on their progress during games, however i only do this whilst my opponent is setting dials as I do not wish to disturb them and their thought process and as soon as they say they are ready, i am 100% back on board, watching, helping and freely talking or making pew pew noises.

Also, in my experience, I can set my seven dials faster than someone can set two, then waiting around for two or three minutes each time does get boring, especially if I cannot talk to the tables next to me. So whilst I appreciate that I may come across as rude, if my opponent isn't talking or is contemplating his next move, what am I suppose to do, sit there quietly and wait/stare at him/her, out of respect? I mean, i'm playing a game, not sitting at a funeral. 

12 hours ago, tsondaboy said:

My 2 cents

If you need an application to tell you where the ship will move you ve lost the game already...

Or maybe you want to solve bumps without what can become a pretty arduous process in terms of marking/moving ships. 

It's got a slider bar that moves the silhouette of the base along a template.

18 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Because I find statements based on assumptions than experiences appealingly rude.

Because you don't know the app. You made the assumption that the overlay is automatic, and that it works. I can judge from the last comment that you don't have that experience. 

Now as for your opponent ignoring the game and going on Facebook, yeah that is annoying because the person is simply not playing the game and that is because they don't want to. However if you had the proper experience you would have already know what to do in that situation. Pick up your stuff and find a new opponent or if it is a tournament grab a TO.

I'll openly admit that I didn't realise the card next to the ship was neccesary, however there was no mention of that in the OP so it is a fact easily missed - it could be assumed (as I did) that the card being there in the picture was incidental. As for it working, presumably it does work or there would be no reason for this whole topic.

Regardless, I do not appreciate being talked down to in the manner you have consistently done throughout this exchange, since your first comment to me was not that you didn't agree with my standpoint, but outright telling me I 'don't know what I'm talking about', On the contrary, I know full well what I'm talking about - the potential for cheating with an application like this one remains real, as I cannot imagine it is hugely difficult to alter it such that the ship card is no longer neccesary (perhaps the ship base could instead be used as the reference point). As such there is even more cause than the simple manners issue I have already railed against for not having phone use during a game short of emergencies or very occasional photo opportunities.

Next time perhaps do not open discussion by directly insulting someone.

14 hours ago, Viktus106 said:

I like the idea of the app, anything that could potentially help judges later on is a good thing in my book, maybe not for players to use during an actual game however.

This is how I see it, while I wouldn't use it to try to determine my moves it seems like a nice option to use if you don't have a laser for measuring firing arcs and a lot more of us have phones than people do lasers

App looks cool; will be good for new players.

On a side note; Reading through the comments I see an alarming number of people who are cool with people glued to their phones during a game.

Na. I'm not down for prompting you to take your turn, to stop watching that YouTube video or ask you politely (for the 5th, 6th, 7th time) to please put down the phone so we can play a game. That's what we're here for; your phone will still exist when it's over, I promise.

You may not think it's impacting your performance or the enjoyment of the game for others; but the vast majority of the time, it does, whether you realize it or not. People like this tend to be oblivious to how their actions affect others. It communicates that you don't care about the game or the other person's time.

So, for the sake of ONE HOUR (or slightly more), show that you have some restraint and respect and leave it in your pocket. What have you got to lose? An hour's worth of phone time? No big loss. You can do that any time.

If that's too hard, sorry to say, but you may have an attention span problem.(or maybe you're just a jerk, who knows?)

Edit: Yes, I know that was a long side note :P

But I'm tired of seeing people do this AND justifying it.

Edited by Tom1132

What would be a really cool way to use an app like this is to have a grid marked out on your play area so the software can calculate scale, then run it on a computer connected to a web cam.  You put the web cam at a fixed place and then calibrate it, the software then draws fire arcs and ranges etc as an overlay.

Not for use by players, but it could really up the X-Wing streamed matches game.

I have yet to try this one out, but how do I allign the card? I understand that the front must be on the same level with the card. Do I use a ruler to allign with the puns on the base?