Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

This augmented reality ap is a game changer for x wing

14 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Yes please play with your phone constantly during activation phase, it will be much more easier to out fly you since you have divided your attention. Or maybe I should try to pull a dial speed swap?

If MY gameplay suffers from my lack of focus, that's still MY choice.

42 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

If you have you push them to make their activation or to acknowledge they just got hit with 5 hits and a crit. They're not playing the game anymore and following with due respect. (Although in the latter case, its usually someone trying to be an *** and not wanting to concede they just got beaten.) If I have to prod you to make your moves twice then that's far beyond the level of disrespect I expect to get in a social game. 

And if his argument was "if your slowing down the game a bunch and I have to prompt you to make your moves" then you'd have a point.  But his argument was literally "don't touch your phone unless it's an emergency".

If my dials are set and I'm playing against the kind of person who likes to take 5 minutes to set their dials,  then I'm going to pick up my phone while he finishes.

If my opponent has 6 TIEs with the same PS, I'm going to pick up my phone while he moves them.

Edited by DarthEnderX

1 hour ago, MalusCalibur said:

- it is my understanding that playing a game together elicits a degree of mutual respect for each others time, and for someone to spend large portions of it looking at a screen shows a dismissive attitude and suggests that the game doesnt matter to them. 

In short, you're no better than a troll.

I've wasted quite enough time interacting with such an article of refuse. You are here only to antagonise, because you get some twisted enjoyment out of it. I won't indulge you any further.

I'm not antagonizing you, you've done that to yourself. I'm trying to show you that your perspective is limiting your own ability to enjoy the game. Your view of the game and mutual respect as stated above is demanding your partner take your same view of the proceedings. When he/she does not meet your judgement of 'mutual respect' ( I place in quotes because they have neither agreed to or been informed of your position thereof) you take it as a personal slight, thus- curmudgeon (NOUN: a bad-tempered or surly person). In fact, you've treated this entire situation as an affront to your personal gaming morality. Which again, is a game of playing with plastic toy spaceships. I am suggesting to you, not assuming or demanding, that is you have truly experienced the situation more times than you can count and that it bothers you so perhaps there is some agency you've chosen not to exercise to improve the situation. You could; ask before the game that phones be used only for emergencies, change your perspective and chose to enjoy the game regardless of your opponents' phone habits, or you could recognize that the people you play with are unlikely to change and either quit or find a new group that more closely matches your preconceived notions of 'mutual respect.' Instead you have chosen to hijack a thread about a handy new piece of technology because you are so annoyed by people you play with in real life. Maybe you should speak with them instead of inserting your non-sequitur opinion into someone else's thread. Good day. ? 

Interesting looking app. Useless for those of us using Apple devices, but so be it. I suppose I shouldn't complain, though- I haven't even bought a laser for checking arcs, and have been doing just fine with simply using range rulers (including some cut to only range 1 or 2).

As to the use of phones at the table, I can see checking a message quickly when received to make sure it is not an emergency, and reply if a reply is both urgent and time sensitive. Otherwise, it can wait until the game is complete. Isn't that the point of texting? It allows a message to wait until it's convenient to reply. 

11 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

If MY gameplay suffers from my lack of focus, that's still MY choice.

And if his argument was "if your slowing down the game a bunch and I have to prompt you to make your moves" then you'd have a point.  But his argument was literally "don't touch your phone unless it's an emergency".

If my dials are set and I'm playing against the kind of person who likes to take 5 minutes to set their dials,  then I'm going to pick up my phone while he finishes.

If my opponent has 6 TIEs with the same PS, I'm going to pick up my phone while he moves them.

Are you truly that incapable of keeping your attention on the game? What's so important/interesting on your phone that you couldn't keep it in your pocket for less than 2 hours?  

I'm not trying to be provocative but that attitude is representative of a classic millennial stereotype. 

4 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

What's so important/interesting on your phone

I mean, it's got the internet, so technically, the entire world.

But me personally, I listen to podcasts through headphones when it's not my turn to be doing something.

4 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

I'm not trying to be provocative but that attitude is representative of a classic millennial stereotype. 

Yes it is.  But just because it's different from the way you grew up doesn't invalidate it as a lifestyle.

Edited by DarthEnderX

40 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

As long as this never leads to anybody having to prompt you that it's your turn to do anything, that's absolutely and perfectly fine. Knowing how easily I get engrossed in my phone whenever I pick it up, I find it hard to believe that that's the case, but if it is: More power to you!

Edited by haslo
Removed previous edit; I'd rather leave this as-is.

19 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Seriously?!

Yes seriously.  It's no different then when I'm using a flight path in WoW or sitting on the toilet.  Downtime is downtime.

It's not like they're trying to have a conversation with me while their making their moves.  They're focusing on what they're doing.  While *I'm* not doing anything.  I can sit there doing nothing, or I can listen to some nerd tell me about what he did in Zelda that week.

22 minutes ago, haslo said:

As long as this never leads to anybody having to prompt you that it's your turn to do anything, that's absolutely and perfectly fine. Knowing how easily I get engrossed in my phone whenever I pick it up, I find it hard to believe that that's the case, but if it is: More power to you!

Well, like I said, podcasts are my thing.  So the fact that the thing I do has no visual component means I'm a lot less likely to not notice when it's my turn to do something.

But for the record, that policy is still poorly worded because your opponent is SUPPOSED to prompt you that it's your turn to do something even if you ARE paying attention, because you aren't supposed to start doing anything until your opponent says they're finished.

Edited by DarthEnderX

38 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Are you truly that incapable of keeping your attention on the game? What's so important/interesting on your phone that you couldn't keep it in your pocket for less than 2 hours?  

Meh, I'm 39 and agree with @DarthEnderX's take on it. If someone is dragging *** with their decisions, I'll probably be on my phone.

As for what is so important/interesting? I may be watching a game of X-Wing on YouTube since there is no action going on at the table I'm at. ;)

More realistically, chatting with my better half or looking at your ships dial in my x-wing app.

49 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

classic millennial stereotype 

Ever think that the reason "millennials" don't want to look up from their phones is so they don't have to see the festering remains of a once great world that baby-boomers took and flushed down the ******* toilet?

2 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

I agree. However I would demand of my opponents the same respect I would give them. That is to say, playing a table top game is a social contract- one that requires mutual respect. If a player is not giving their full attention to the game they are being less than respectful of the game and their opponent. 

So please keep your phone in you pocket while you play me (barring emergency texts from family, or photos of the game state for your awesome game report) and I'll do the same. 

Wow you must really hate the dice app, huh?

Too bad it's an official product.

41 minutes ago, Stevey86 said:

Ever think that the reason "millennials" don't want to look up from their phones is so they don't have to see the festering remains of a once great world that baby-boomers took and flushed down the ******* toilet?

Shhhh, it's obviously our attachment to devices that contain every bit of information at our fingertips...

Interesting way of putting it - but the sentiment that our phones actually contain useful, interesting information is true.

I hate millennial bashing as much as the next guy*, but... dude. chill. out.

Besides, a lot of the problems we face to day got their start before the Baby Boomers started taking the reigns of everything. I'm sure everyone can point to one baby boomer or another* who is making a colossal mess of things now, but it's their predecessors who lined up all of the disaster dominoes.

*Please don't post examples. Especially obvious political ones.

Edited by Squark

6 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

Excuse me? What gives you the right to claim you know my own gaming experiences better than I do? I have lost count of the number of times I have been playing a game and my opponent has been tip-tapping away rather than focusing on what is happening or what I'm doing, and I find it appalingly rude.

The circumstances where that behaviour is acceptable are very slim (i.e. nothing short of an actual emergency). If you're playing a game, respect your opponent enough to give it all of your attention.

Because I find statements based on assumptions than experiences appealingly rude.

Because you don't know the app. You made the assumption that the overlay is automatic, and that it works. I can judge from the last comment that you don't have that experience. 

Now as for your opponent ignoring the game and going on Facebook, yeah that is annoying because the person is simply not playing the game and that is because they don't want to. However if you had the proper experience you would have already know what to do in that situation. Pick up your stuff and find a new opponent or if it is a tournament grab a TO.

4 hours ago, streamdragon said:

40k has allowed all premeasuring for at least two (now three) editions.  Meanwhile, X-Wing has NEVER allowed any premeasuring beyond what is necessary to place obstacles and deploy ships.

and measure range when attacking.

2 hours ago, Hujoe Bigs said:

That isn't premeasuring, that quite literally is measuring, you are allowed to check range at this step. So is everything you do before you commit to it considered pre? if so that's a slippery slope.

Exactly, in 40K no premeasuring allowed was mostly for the Guess weapons and templates. But to keep those weapons relevant no measurements were made before attacks. You had to name a target, then measure range and if you had no weapons in range your unit became useless for that turn. Many traditionalist (who sometimes call themselves purists) claim that requires more skill and strategy, I think it is more of a hindrance than a skill and I have good eyesight and depth perception.

X-wing did tighten up the premeasuring a bit. You cannot measure in the activation phase unless it is for an action. However if the action is out of range you can make a new action (although that does leave some loop-holes). The only thing that was strictly prohibited as far as premeasuring goes is putting down a movement template before a ship's activation. That was never allowed and rightfully so.

First, I think the app looks cool and may mess around with it. I always thought it would be cool if x wing had a companion app that maybe allowed for solo missions to pratice or to skimirsh with folks online.  I understand it's a slipetly slope and apps could be used to cheat or may hurt physical play, so great care would be needed.

secondly, I would consider an oponent typing away on a phone to be rude. In competive play i would worry about cheating/coaching

in casual play I would think of it the same way I view someone texting at dinner, or on a date. I'm 37 and I feel it's rude to be texting or banging away on my phone when I'm in certain social settings, for example if I was watching a movie at a friends house, eating dinner with friends and family, family BBQ. When I say I thinks it's rude I mean that I wouldn't engange in the behavior, in the same manner that I wouldn't call someone before 8:00 am unless it was important.

I understand that many other people don't hold such standards, in particular I believe younger folks have different beliefs about it.  A few of the adults I play x wing with, have wives/jobs/kids etc and the occasionally get texts during matches, and normally they will excuse themselves or ask if I mind if they check the phone and I never object, and I would would pay them them the same curtasey.

If I was playing the game and the opent was goofing around on Facebook or banging on his/her phone the whole time I would finish the game and probably wouldn't play with that person again if I could avoid it.

I guess it comes down to, your free to goof on your phone as long as it doesn't encroach on the game or violate the rules, just as I'm free to not like it or have to play with you.

20 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

All the more reason to put your **** phone away while you're supposed to be concentrating on the game. It's one of my pet hates about X-Wing (and wargaming in general, actually).

I take pictures with my phone. No one has ever complained. We like to see stuff afterwards. 

6 minutes ago, ObiWonka said:

So I'm gathering that what the app actually does is post salty comments to the Internet, and that everyone here is using it.

Oh sorry I didn't see the :P

it takes the back of a rules supplement card or rebel pilot card and use it as a reference point for putting a range template or even movement overlay on the camera screen of your phone. The app has some trouble recognizing the card used to do the reference. You also have to set what the base size, as well as position of the reference card next to the base.

Edited by Marinealver