Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

This augmented reality ap is a game changer for x wing

This looks like a neat little tool to help new guys learn maneuvers and arcs.

It's free do I think it's ok to post the link.theu aren't selling anything.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SubutaiDev.XWingTemplatesAR

Screenshot_2017-07-08-20-02-09_zpsqw3mda

Also...think twice now if your opponent said he just wants to whip out his camera to take a picture of the game! Ha!

Yeah I tried that app. It didn't recognize the card I had set up so that the camera overlay didn't work. I wanted to see if I could use it as a better way measuring firing arcs but it needs work.

Also for those complaining about cheating here is a little FYI. You see that rule supplement card face down next to the ship. Yeah the app doesn't work unless you put that card there (well it is supposed to work once you do). So no one is going to take out their phone and be premeasuring without other indications of such happening. So yeah the phone app is not cheating you 40k Yahoos. Seriously this isn't 40k there is some premeasuring that is allowed.

Edited by Marinealver

32 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

All the more reason to put your **** phone away while you're supposed to be concentrating on the game. It's one of my pet hates about X-Wing (and wargaming in general, actually).

you have no idea what you are talking about.

38 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I hope you never get an opponent that spends 5 minutes on Facebook during dial placement. Because then you'll understand exactly what he's talking about.

Well that guy is simply not playing the game. Scoop if it is casual, or grab a TO if it is tournament.

I think it's an interesting little tool. It sort of said..." Look what the future of table top gaming could look like."

I know there's been games that use apps before but something like this could be groundbreaking down the road.

I am imagining a game where you use an augmented reality type app, set your phone behind the miniature and using the screen to figure line of site...cover...range...all that jazz and do it in a clever stylised way.

Make it have fluffy looking diagrams and stuff like in the Terminator movies where they are showing what the Terminator sees.

Or in a game like x wing with vehicles it could have a functioning heads up display.

Ive been building a revamped version of a game that's no longer in production but I'm updating it to use laser pointers on the models to do line of sight.a couple terrain pieces that billow steam from dry ice makes the lasers visible and looks like a smoke battlefield of the future.

Something like this camera app is next level stuff.

I'm all.sorts of enthusiastic about this sort of technology for games.

But....I'm old. And my old brain still cherishes the days of filling in hundreds of dots on a batteletch record sheet.i wouldn't want the fiddly camera fun to overtake the analog tabletop experience. Just....maybe make it cooler.

4 hours ago, Marinealver said:

So no one is going to take out their phone and be premeasuring without other indications of such happening. So yeah the phone app is not cheating you 40k Yahoos. Seriously this isn't 40k there is some premeasuring that is allowed.

That's a good heads up about needing the card. But blantantly incorrect on the last part. There is no premeasuring allowed. Period. 

1 hour ago, Hujoe Bigs said:

That's a good heads up about needing the card. But blantantly incorrect on the last part. There is no premeasuring allowed. Period. 

nope wrong, before making attacks you are allowed to check range before you declare an attack. As I have to repeat myself. X-Wing is not Warhamer 40,000.

6 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

I think it's an interesting little tool. It sort of said..." Look what the future of table top gaming could look like."

I know there's been games that use apps before but something like this could be groundbreaking down the road.

I am imagining a game where you use an augmented reality type app, set your phone behind the miniature and using the screen to figure line of site...cover...range...all that jazz and do it in a clever stylised way.

Make it have fluffy looking diagrams and stuff like in the Terminator movies where they are showing what the Terminator sees.

Or in a game like x wing with vehicles it could have a functioning heads up display.

Ive been building a revamped version of a game that's no longer in production but I'm updating it to use laser pointers on the models to do line of sight.a couple terrain pieces that billow steam from dry ice makes the lasers visible and looks like a smoke battlefield of the future.

But....I'm old. And my old brain still cherishes the days of filling in hundreds of dots on a batteletch record sheet.i wouldn't want the fiddly camera fun to overtake the analog tabletop experience. Just....maybe make it cooler.

This. ^

6 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

And all those hours spent on designing that gun-toting two-legged ferro-fibrous armored mechanical terror... I have my Battletech minis and manuals right beside my X-Wing stuff. Awesome game.

10 hours ago, Marinealver said:

you have no idea what you are talking about.

Excuse me? What gives you the right to claim you know my own gaming experiences better than I do? I have lost count of the number of times I have been playing a game and my opponent has been tip-tapping away rather than focusing on what is happening or what I'm doing, and I find it appalingly rude.

The circumstances where that behaviour is acceptable are very slim (i.e. nothing short of an actual emergency). If you're playing a game, respect your opponent enough to give it all of your attention.

7 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

Goodness gracious ... can you post pictures of this?

8 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

I'm old. And my old brain still cherishes the days of filling in hundreds of dots on a batteletch record sheet.i

Me too. But I played Battletech (the old box version btw) with my son recently. The game takes FOREVER! That's another draw of X-Wing: it can be finished within 2 hours. 

12 hours ago, Marinealver said:

So yeah the phone app is not cheating you 40k Yahoos. Seriously this isn't 40k there is some premeasuring that is allowed.

40k has allowed all premeasuring for at least two (now three) editions.  Meanwhile, X-Wing has NEVER allowed any premeasuring beyond what is necessary to place obstacles and deploy ships.

10 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

Oh man, imagine though if you could put, like, the models on the screen too!  And the table!  What if the entire thing took place on the screen!  And then you controlled your camera with some kind of sliding thing for your hand or some kind of buttons!

It's crazy to think of what might happen in the future!

2 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

Excuse me? What gives you the right to claim you know my own gaming experiences better than I do? I have lost count of the number of times I have been playing a game and my opponent has been tip-tapping away rather than focusing on what is happening or what I'm doing, and I find it appalingly rude.

The circumstances where that behaviour is acceptable are very slim (i.e. nothing short of an actual emergency). If you're playing a game, respect your opponent enough to give it all of your attention.

No, this is BS.  If they're actually significantly holding up the game, then fine, that's a problem.  But you don't have the right to dictate to them how they spend their downtime during a game.  If they want to look at something else while you make your moves, that's their prerogative.  They're under no obligation to watch you take your turn like it's some kind of performance.

The "acceptable circumstances" for when its okay for me to be doing something else is "any time I'm not currently doing something in the game".

Edited by DarthEnderX

1 hour ago, BlodVargarna said:

Me too. But I played Battletech (the old box version btw) with my son recently. The game takes FOREVER! That's another draw of X-Wing: it can be finished within 2 hours. 

I am an old school BT player too. You should look at Alpha Strike. Huge improvement on playability and lance diversity.

28 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

I don't 'demand' anything - it is my understanding that playing a game together elicits a degree of mutual respect for each others time, and for someone to spend large portions of it looking at a screen shows a dismissive attitude and suggests that the game doesnt matter to them. Never mind the fact that, if they arn't paying full attention to the game they are more likely to make mistakes and miss things that their opponent does (such as actions).

I agree. However I would demand of my opponents the same respect I would give them. That is to say, playing a table top game is a social contract- one that requires mutual respect. If a player is not giving their full attention to the game they are being less than respectful of the game and their opponent. 

So please keep your phone in you pocket while you play me (barring emergency texts from family, or photos of the game state for your awesome game report) and I'll do the same. 

If you have you push them to make their activation or to acknowledge they just got hit with 5 hits and a crit. They're not playing the game anymore and following with due respect. (Although in the latter case, its usually someone trying to be an *** and not wanting to concede they just got beaten.) If I have to prod you to make your moves twice then that's far beyond the level of disrespect I expect to get in a social game. 

8 hours ago, Marinealver said:

nope wrong, before making attacks you are allowed to check range before you declare an attack. As I have to repeat myself. X-Wing is not Warhamer 40,000.

That isn't premeasuring, that quite literally is measuring, you are allowed to check range at this step. So is everything you do before you commit to it considered pre? if so that's a slippery slope.

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

The "acceptable circumstances" for when its okay for me to be doing something else is "any time I'm not currently doing something in the game".

Yes please play with your phone constantly during activation phase, it will be much more easier to out fly you since you have divided your attention. Or maybe I should try to pull a dial speed swap?