kprWichura

Fly Solo. Is Rebel's win is best option?

Hi, watch for spoilers below...

I played today Fly Solo, as my get ready for campaign training. I'm playing alone to make sure I will be ready with rules when playing with my friends this week. It was my first time to approach this mission, as I just bought the game.

After playing 5 times and seeing that there is no point to continue for Rebels, I Gave Up. BUT...

I went to prizes for scenario and found out that Rebel's prizes are pretty awesome independly from scenario results. They recieving 100 credits for each player in game, so if I play with 4 heroes Irecieving 400 credits. Then if you opened the door within 3 turns once again 100 credits for each.

Do I interpret above correctly? What if I would play only with two heroes?

If yes, I think, the clue of the mission from Imperial perspektive is to not allow to open the door in 3 rounds, and not to kill Han, but to eliminate as much heroes as possible before Han will escape. On Rebel side it would be best option to lose Han as fast as possible or escape...

Opening door within 3 rounds is not a big deal for Rebels.

Sry for language. Regards.

Just to add, roleplaying aspect is also achieved in above approach. Introduction to scenario builds a feeling that no one cares about Han as much as for information he have. No one says find and rescue Han, debrief says, go and find what Han found.

Edited by kprWichura

Credits scale with the number of heroes in the game (not on the map at the end of the mission, see @Norgrath below) because with fewer heroes the purchased items get used more often, thus fewer heroes get more value out of them.

Yes, it's sort of a choice/consequence between gaining credits (open door before end of round 3) or gaining XP (let the event trigger, it's probably easier for Han to escape in that case).

Edited by a1bert

4 hours ago, kprWichura said:

If yes, I think, the clue of the mission from Imperial perspektive is to not allow to open the door in 3 rounds, and not to kill Han, but to eliminate as much heroes as possible before Han will escape. On Rebel side it would be best option to lose Han as fast as possible or escape...

I think you may be under the mistaken impression that forcing heroes to withdraw means that the rebels get less credits. After the point that Han is on the field then the imperial player wants to kill him as soon as possible and the rebel players want him to escape even if it means that every hero is forced to withdraw.

No.

If Han Solo is defeated the mission ends. Heroes gain rewards according to how many heroes are in the campaign, not how many are still on the map.

You first read and perform the appropriate End of Mission section (Han Solo is defeated), then the Additional Rewards section. If the campaign has 4 heroes, then you give rewards according to 4 heroes.

See for example: Fly Solo playthrough here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18925788#18925788

Edited by a1bert

Hero being withdrawn does not affect rewards.

Withdrawn heroes are still on the payroll and rebel players collectively receive the credits. Credits is a combined pool for all heroes to gain and spend together.

3 hours ago, kprWichura said:

if rebel hero was withdrawed then he doesnt receive credits.

No. If a hero is withdrawn, he DOES receive credits.

An example:

You have 4 heroes at the start of the mission. At the end of the mission, the rulebook says that the heroes receive 100 credits per hero. If no heroes are withdrawn, the Rebels get 400 credits total. If 1 hero is withdrawn, the Rebels still get 400 credits total. If 2 heroes are withdrawn, the Rebels get 400 credits total. And so on. Even if all heroes are withdrawn, the Rebels will get 400 credits total.

Just repeating what a1bert has said.

To make it explicit.

Rules Reference Guide, Withdraw said:

During a campaign, when a wounded hero is defeated he withdraws. The hero is removed from the map and cannot be activated for the remainder of the mission.
 · Withdrawn heroes still receive all hero rewards at the end of the mission. If a hero withdraws during the final mission, he still wins or loses the campaign with the rest of the Rebel  players.

Rules Reference Guide, Credits said:

During a campaign, heroes gain credits at the end of most missions. During Rebel Upgrade Stages, heroes can spend credits to purchase Item cards.
 · Credits are tracked on the campaign log, and shared by all heroes.
 · When heroes gain credits, they add them to the credits on the campaign log and record this total. When heroes spend credits, they subtract them from the credits on the campaign log and record this total.
 · Heroes do not have to spend all of their credits. Unspent credits may be spent during future Rebel Upgrade Stages.
 · At the end of each campaign mission, heroes receive 50 credits for each crate token they claimed during that mission.

One of the beginner rebel mistakes is spending credits for marginal upgrades instead of saving them for bigger improvements that they come across later in the campaign (tier II and tier III). The rebels should be mostly interested in weapon modifications and maybe armor during tier I upgrades.

Edited by a1bert

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

The rebels should be mostly interested in weapon modifications and maybe armor during tier I upgrades.

With exceptions maybe for the E-11, DL-44, and Gaffi Stick? And maybe the Hand Cannon?

Oh and Bacta Infusion Pump (as a1bert corrected below) is pretty much a must-pick.

Yeah I forgot the name of it, but Bacta Pump is the one I meant.

Edited by Stompburger

DL-44 is great for Gunslinger-Jyn, or with Tactical Display, but there are better ones in the deck for other heroes (yes E-11). Hand Cannon is good for its credits, but depends on heroes and the campaign due to limited accuracy. For best results you need Diala's Force Adept or Extra Ammunition with Hand Cannon.

Take Bacta Pump over Bacta Infusion. Take both if you scored some extra credits.

Gaffi Stick - not if you have a weapon like Shyla's starter, but it does work as a quick and disposable melee weapon for the first few missions for e.g. Davith.

Of course, only DL-44 and E-11 are from the core.

54 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Gaffi Stick - not if you have a weapon like Shyla's starter, but it does work as a quick and disposable melee weapon for the first few missions for e.g. Davith.

In my last Campaign we had Onar using the Gaffi Stick with the Vibrogenerator. With Don't Make Me Hurt You and Mutual Destruction, he was rolling RRY with an auto +3 Damage and Pierce 1. His average damage for a single attack was somewhere in the 8-9 range, all for 550 credits. But even without his abilities, Gaffi Stick and Vibrogenerator is a brutal combo. You can use High-Impact Guard or Energized Hilt on it too.

Basically, I like the Gaffi Stick because it's a very cheap weapon that scales excellently into the late game with a variety of hero abilities and attachments.

I'll add my vote for the Gaffi stick being awesome - it's crazy underpriced, and like Stomburger said if you can keep it around until the Vibrogenerator comes out it's absolutely nuts.  We did the same trick with Onar, but it works well with Shyla too and her card that lets you perform a bonus attack with one fewer die.  Sure you might lose a few hits without the yellow, but the red + the automatic pierce (+ the vibrogenerator when you get it) still hurts pretty bad.  I don't think I'd ever not buy it if it comes out, unless I've got four heroes that will absolutely never be doing melee attacks.  And even then, I'd think about it.

Although you'll have to check out Rythbryt's Thread for the full story :P