coyote6

Cyphers and Masks Spy book announced!

127 posts in this topic

I wouldn't think that an Interrogator would be medically inclined in its entirety, but it sounds interesting. So does the rest of the book, but this makes me wonder about region books, I think it has been a while since FFG released one (not that I'm going to complain about getting the last career books first). 

30 minutes ago, Imperial Stormtrooper said:

I wouldn't think that an Interrogator would be medically inclined in its entirety, but it sounds interesting. So does the rest of the book, but this makes me wonder about region books, I think it has been a while since FFG released one (not that I'm going to complain about getting the last career books first). 

On the surface, that might be true.  However, one method of information extraction has been torture and discomfort of the target.  Having access to the medical not only helps the interrogator keep the target alive longer, but it will also help in pushing the boundaries and limits of the target.

Kind of scary to consider what talents the Interrogator might have access to.  Makes it worse when the possibility of some Dark Side being based on them coming out later.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sarone said:

On the surface, that might be true.  However, one method of information extraction has been torture and discomfort of the target.  Having access to the medical not only helps the interrogator keep the target alive longer, but it will also help in pushing the boundaries and limits of the target.

Kind of scary to consider what talents the Interrogator might have access to.  Makes it worse when the possibility of some Dark Side being based on them coming out later.

What I meant was that I was thinking that it shouldn't have only/mostly medical talents. I was thinking that a few would be along the lines of fitting in with Charm, Coercion or Deception. I think that from what the article said Medicine is definitely a career skill, then from what we see in Star Wars, coercion makes sense as a career skill, and my personal thoughts are another "social" skill such as charm, deception or negotiation as another career skill, then perhaps another skill to round out the 4.

Edited by Imperial Stormtrooper
Sarone likes this

One area that could use a boost for the game is an Imperial sided campaign, one with the PCs defecting to the Alliance.  That seems likely to be covered here.

1 hour ago, Sarone said:

Also, look at the interrogator droid from ANH.  The camera zoomed in on a hypodermic needle, and the implication was pretty clear that Vader was going to drug Leia in order to more effectively interrogate her.  I can see ranks in Medicine being useful in the torture Han went through in Cloud City, too (though he made a point of saying "they didn't even ask me any questions", but that just highlights that he considered it an interrogation sans questions).

Sarone likes this

26 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

Hoping there's basically a ninja spec in here :P

The Infiltrator is basically a ninja spec.  It's all about stealth (The far right column, working down and left along the bottom row), and everything else is about taking people down with melee/brawl attacks.    

Absol197 and Richardbuxton like this

34 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

I just hope they have a social oriented spy spec tree.   

Given that they explicitly mention social engineering (and even give a crude social engineering attack as an example), I'll bet they will.

2 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

The Infiltrator is basically a ninja spec.  It's all about stealth (The far right column, working down and left along the bottom row), and everything else is about taking people down with melee/brawl attacks.    

I suppose but I would want a spec that focuses on stealth and evasion more than 2 end tree skills from a ninja. Something akin to Slight of Mind in the Shadow tree, or some smoke bomb skill that lets you disengage and move from a fight. Stuff like that.

Just now, Enoch52 said:

Given that they explicitly mention social engineering (and even give a crude social engineering attack as an example), I'll bet they will.

Yeah I figured they would.  They've said multiple times, that the splatbooks for each career usually are there to fill in the gaps of "roles".  So if you have a combat heavy Career in the core book, they will try and give you a social oriented spec (or 2) in the followup.

Just now, SithArissa said:

I suppose but I would want a spec that focuses on stealth and evasion more than 2 end tree skills from a ninja. Something akin to Slight of Mind in the Shadow tree, or some smoke bomb skill that lets you disengage and move from a fight. Stuff like that.

I agree it's not super focused on stealth, but that talent that lets you reroll any stealth check is pretty darn handy for a ninja.  While there are only a few talents it's true, they are pretty powerful.   But you can do an awful lot with a high dicepool and a talent or two.

Absol197 likes this

Posted (edited)

Not to mention Master of Shadows, which let's you decrease the Difficulty of any Stealth or Skullduggery check by 1 at the cost of 2 Strain.  There's almost no better "sneaky ninja" talent out there.  You can make BOTH breaking and entering and disappearing into the shadows significantly easier any time you want?  Yes, please! 

Edited by Absol197
KungFuFerret and SFC Snuffy like this

3 minutes ago, verdantsf said:

YES!!! I've been playing a Spy for over 2 years. Can't wait :D!

Unfortunately, you're gonna have to.  Initial release prediction is November 16th.  And that's assuming that we don't get Fully Operationaled on this one, too.

11 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

Not to mention Master of Shadows, which let's you decrease the Difficulty of any Stealth or Skullduggery check by 1 at the cost of 2 Strain.  There's almost no better "sneaky ninja" talent out there.  You can make BOTH breaking and entering and disappearing into the shadows significantly easier any time you want?  Yes, please! 

Yeah but its so late in the tree. Something stealthy sooner so you can slink into the shadows from the start of a new character in one of the new specs would be welcome. 

Posted (edited)

As far as a social engineer, we do already have some good options in the Diplomat career:

• Advocate gets Coercion and Deception, 3 ranks of Plausible Deniability as well as a rank of Improved PD, and Blackmail (though given that it works if an NPC strains out, it works best with Scathing Tirade)
  • Agitator gets Coercion and Deception, 2 ranks of PD, 2 ranks of Convincing Demeanor, and lots of Scathing Tirade/Imp/Supreme, as well as Intimidating
  • Ambassador gets Charm, 2 ranks of Indistinguishable (always nice if they can't ID you after), 2 ranks of Kill with Kindness (if you want to charm info out of receptionists and such rather than trick them), and Natural Charmer (very powerful to have that once-per-session reroll of a key skill!)

But the ideal spec in my mind is the Propagandist:  Charm, Deception and Perception as career skills (social engineers rely on knowing little details that make them seem like they belong, and Perception is great for spotting names on reports, details about ID badges, etc--think Shawn's ability on the TV show Psych), 3 ranks of In the Know, which lets you remove setback from attempts to get information from people or distribute false info; the Improved version, which lets you make a Deception vs. Vigilance check to downgrade the difficulty of passing false information, Cutting Question, letting you use Deception instead of Coercion once per session ("I hope I don't have to report to Vader that you are the bottleneck in this project, Captain!"), Well Rounded, and Informant.

Now, if you want to have slicer skills as well, you'll really need another spec: Slicer is obvious, but Analyst is an interesting variant.  it's in-career, so it's cheaper, and while it isn't quite as good at breaking into terminals as the Slicer, it is really good at finding what they're looking for once they're in (I'm imagining most slicing attempts involving both a Computers test to break security and a relevant knowledge test to find/interpret the data you are looking for).  Not only are they more likely to find the data than a Slicer, but they can do it faster--which may be important when you're in an Imperial base, hoping to finish before that patrol returns...

Edited by Enoch52
Absol197 and warchild1x like this