Sign in to follow this  
KraytFang

Replacing Star Wars?

This seems to be more or less the same system as the Star Wars RPGs. As there are not many Star Wars supplements announced anymore (Ghosts of Dathomir (FaD) being printed but taking forever, Fully Operational (AoR) "arriving soon" without being printed yet) I'm wondering if this is meant to be a more generic replacement or is there more Star Wars material to come as well?

7 hours ago, KraytFang said:

This seems to be more or less the same system as the Star Wars RPGs. As there are not many Star Wars supplements announced anymore (Ghosts of Dathomir (FaD) being printed but taking forever, Fully Operational (AoR) "arriving soon" without being printed yet) I'm wondering if this is meant to be a more generic replacement or is there more Star Wars material to come as well?

Maybe the process responsible for updating the website is wrong and the books are just fine, if a bit slow to ship. 

And Cyphers and Masks, the spies sourcebook, announced today. 

While they are getting towards the end of the career sourcebooks, I don't think we're in danger of losing the Star Wars line.  As long as they still have the license, and people are buying, they'll be selling. 

13 hours ago, AndrewGPaul said:

Good; maybe when they're done with the sourcebooks I don't need, they can publish an Age of Rebellion adventure I want to play. :)

I need all the sourcebooks! I mean, I have everything already, but I legit can't get enough of them. 

12 hours ago, Lanuria said:

I need all the sourcebooks! I mean, I have everything already, but I legit can't get enough of them. 

I'm not quite there, but I intend to be. I'm one book away from completing my EotE line (Beyond the Rim).

And I've got 1 adventure, 1 career book, and 1 planet book for Age... and 2 Career books and The one planet book for FoD (along with the core books for those last two lines). I do intend on "Catching 'em all" as it were...

Even with Genesys coming out, I intend to complete my SWRPG books. I mean, I certainly hope that FFG keeps the IP for a good long number of years to come, but I'm doubting someone will be able to follow this edition with a better one (that said, I was a huge fan of the D6 system, and basically stopped playing SWRPG's while it was in the D20/Saga systems, and didn't think that that system could loose it's place in my heart).

Edited by Hexnwolf
Paragraphs, Because readability.

I suspect FFG will move towards timeline books, we already have a force awakens beginner box and a new rebels/rogue one book coming out. I suspect that with the release of "from his nap" (episode 9) we'll see a proper "current" timeline source book.

There's also always going to be adventure paths too.

I have all the currently released ffg star wars rpg books, except the beta books.  I have the edge of the empire and force awakens beginner games, I have  7 additional packs of dice (2 set aside as gifts for when the system is out of print).  I have all 3 gm kits (AOR gm kit is the best of the bunch in my opinion because of color scheme [easiest to read] and it comes with the squad and squadron rules.  I have the first 3 npc decks, the sharpshooter, demolitionist, and recruit specialization decks, I have the hired gun signature ability deck.  I regret spending the money on the decks, and am iffy on the force awakens beginner game... I was expecting a 28 inch by 22 inch (as in standard minis size) galaxy map and it was half that size.

Including duplicates, I have over 500 of the wotc Minis and as of bases and battlestations I had every maps of mastery map and tile set ever published (additional maps has been published since then.  I also have digital copies of every minis map that was on the now defunct "holocron" website, several of which I printed primarily in 11 by 14 inch sections.

Well...since we're bragging rights here....

I have all of FFG's SW RPG material minus the beta books, AOR and FAD beginner box sets (meant to buy them only if things got "slow" but that never really happened).  I have three of the dice sets (1 from the EOTE box, 1 from a blister pack, and 1 from the FA box) and have yet to have needed any more than that.  I also pass on the specialization decks (just write/type down what you need to know and mark the page number for reference!).  If they ever compile them into box sets then maybe I would consider them.   I DO get all the other decks though - excellent for random encounters or even quick random PC generation challenges.  Wound and damage cards are excellent as temp trackers.  I hope they'd make cards of planets/systems for much of the same conveniences.

Apart from the Rebellion board games, I also do not buy any other FFG SW game materials (eventually I will get the cargo freighters from the X-Wing line, though).  For I am not a millionaire!

I have about 70% of WOTC's  SW RPG material.  The first two editions were pretty bad and the supplements were bland, so I cherry picked only what looked good enough (e.g. Campaign Guide)!   They didn't really nail it until SAGA edition (for that I got everything except the GM screen) and even then the D20 system was just slow playing and clunky - decent character creation was about all I ever got out of this one.  Eventually I'll pick up what's missing second hand if I can get it at decent prices.  I only bought a small handful of the mini's, just out of curiosity - but I'd rather use action figures at the game table anyways!

I have the ENTIRE West End Games SW RPG collection (caveat: minus many 2nd edition "reprint" materials, "classic adventures" etc.).  I am only missing the adventure journals, and I want them, but rarely see them at reasonable prices.  I did get the first 10 minis box sets, and even the Miniature Battles core rules, but I passed when it came to other mini's related materials.    To this day it's fun to just grab any random book out of this line and just marvel at how well they really captured the flavor of its universe...even in the early modules where the art and graphics were less than stellar, WEG's true strength was in the writing and the atmosphere!

I did collect the D6 Star Wars but never fully got into it as I went off to serve my country for a couple of years found a gaming group but mostly played Dungeons and Dragons did not have my Star Wars stuff shipped to until towards the end of my contract. Came home and did run a game or two of the D6 Star Wars which everyone loved playing. West end games shut down. Did kind of get into the D20 Star Wars but loved the SAGA Star Wars way better had all the books minus KOTOR and the ships, but when I heard WOTC lost contract knew Star Wars was going to be re-hashed and was very leary until getting ahold of BETA Of Edge and since have not looked back since have all Edge books minus one module, Core book of Age and planets of Rebellion and have Force and Destiny and a couple of books.

Do not think the system is going anywhere to soon, still have sourcebooks to go and they keep on having to restock on books, so the system is always selling out, will run into a split system once GENESYS comes out, I think that is going to split the buyers between the two systems, And yes there will be a difference as Edge has the Force Die, GENESYS does not, I could go either way but I would prefer the Edge as I have amassed a big collection on the Edge and will even amass even more when GENESYS comes out and will use bits and pieces of GENESYS for my Edge games as I am re-vamping Dragonstar to the Edge and actually having fun doing it as I am getting great help from the community for my project. Check it out and see all the things I have done and all the things to come...

Played solely D&D that time WEG Star Wars thrived, but heard praises from SW RPG veterans, it would be the best Star Wars RPG to date. Started with D20 (got nearly all books in a RPG shop while on holidays in the US) and then collected all of Saga, which was  to me what should have been D&D 4th, an advanced 3.5 with talend trees (loved that concept). But alas, my group rejected Star Wars RPG, so it was all just theory but no practical play.

Then with FFGs SW I finally came to play a SW Roll20 with some americans for over a year (for me GMTler it had been totally worth to wake up in the night at 3am and practice some english :D the group was a blast! so if there is still a spot for a player in some Roll20 SW game, give me a call, I miss it!). I have been a sucker of FFG SW supplements (though it hurts the briefcase^^) since then. Oh, and I call about 6+ sets of dice my own, I could throw you to death with them! :D 

I came to embrace the narrative dice system and searching for a easy to adapt generic system to use for Mass Effect, Borderlands, The Magicians and maybe The Expanse (though Traveller is actually perfect for such Expanse like SciFi), and maybe to mix up several genres like Helliconia (actually fabtasy and scifi). There are some promising candidates but I hope for Genesys to match them, I'd rellay like to use that skill mechanics for more than just SW.

18 hours ago, DarthDude said:

Played solely D&D that time WEG Star Wars thrived, but heard praises from SW RPG veterans, it would be the best Star Wars RPG to date. Started with D20 (got nearly all books in a RPG shop while on holidays in the US) and then collected all of Saga, which was  to me what should have been D&D 4th, an advanced 3.5 with talend trees (loved that concept). But alas, my group rejected Star Wars RPG, so it was all just theory but no practical play.

Then with FFGs SW I finally came to play a SW Roll20 with some americans for over a year (for me GMTler it had been totally worth to wake up in the night at 3am and practice some english :D the group was a blast! so if there is still a spot for a player in some Roll20 SW game, give me a call, I miss it!). I have been a sucker of FFG SW supplements (though it hurts the briefcase^^) since then. Oh, and I call about 6+ sets of dice my own, I could throw you to death with them! :D 

I came to embrace the narrative dice system and searching for a easy to adapt generic system to use for Mass Effect, Borderlands, The Magicians and maybe The Expanse (though Traveller is actually perfect for such Expanse like SciFi), and maybe to mix up several genres like Helliconia (actually fabtasy and scifi). There are some promising candidates but I hope for Genesys to match them, I'd rellay like to use that skill mechanics for more than just SW.

Over on Order 66, if you ask GM Chris, he might still have his rendition of Saga Star Wars that he ported over to Fantasy, was actually a nice write up.

My collection of FFG books is stated above Though I've gotten a few books since then. I've got all the beginner games (and dice from all 4, though I plan on getting a lone dice set, Just call me a collector) All books for EotE other than Beyond the Rim. All the GM Kits, all Core Rule books, For AoR I've also got Stay on Target, Strongholds of Resistance, and Friends Like These. For FoD I've gotten Nexus of Power, Savage Spirits, and Endless Vigil. I've picked up all the NPC and Critical Decks. I like the idea of a "complete box set" of the career/Spec decks, but honestly won't touch them otherwise. I'm a completionist, but since I use Oggdudes sheet, they are unnecessary, and I'm not made out of money.

I've got 4 sets of the Xwing Force Awakens beginner sets (I wish I had the original one, but they were all gifts, so beggars and choosers... ya know) Two Y wings, an A wing, 4 Tie Interceptors and two Tie Bombers. the YT-1300 and YT-2400 (now that my PC's have moved on to a Wayfinder I wish they had those available, sigh). 

I've got plans to complete the RPG books, and get as much as I can of the mini's. 

My Brother in law is a gamer as well, and I got a ton of his Star wars minis from WOTC days when that line no longer did official play. he's still got a few of his favorite, and some "built armies" for play with other friends, but I got a ton out of that deal. I was considering trying to get some of the imperial assault (as they seem more sturdy miniatures, and collectionist leanings. :P

I started with the WEG system years ago. My buddy who's older brother was my original GM, took the books from his brothers collection back in, oh... '87 so they must have been pretty new at the time, still (looking at it, it seems that was their first print run, so wow, yah, we started at the beginning of that run). And we played the crap out of them. It was constantly a go-to for our group. 

When it came time for the Wizards run, I just wasn't feeling it. So I never got any of those books, if anyone asked I'd run out of the WEG books, or just not play. I don't know how many of them I got, and lost, or have gotten rid of. I have kept the Core book and source book first edition (such wonderful quality of books to be honest, they've held up all this time). Of course I have maintained PDF copies from the Holocron site.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:29 PM, gilbur said:

Over on Order 66, if you ask GM Chris, he might still have his rendition of Saga Star Wars that he ported over to Fantasy, was actually a nice write up.

Aww, shucks.  Thank you.

And yeah - if anyone wants it (in it's "semi-complete" form), email me.  GMChris@d20radio.com  ;)