X Wing Nut

Call up a Hammerhead Corvette I have an idea

Got to try a pair with TF Antilles and Ex Racks.  With some lucky dice, those ex racks + CF hit HARD.  

These littlee guys are fun.  

Thoughts on the two TF titles?  I fin the R1-3 is a bit tricky.  You gotta plan it. 

35 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

I had a Vette deal 8 damage to an ISD (with racks) then ram it, then survive a front arc shot thanks to Antilles. Suprisingly tough little ships! It didn't live to activate again, but I was impressed!!

How did u play antilles? Stacky or no stacky?

19 hours ago, anonymousguy said:

The chance is a 3/8192. (correct me If i am wrong)

Congratulations on a well earned roll!

You could be way off and I would make no attempt at correcting you without an app to crunch the numbers for me, plus it seems improbable enough to be correct. I would probably frame the picture and carry it around with me to intimidate others lol. 

After using it more, I feel like Antilles might be too good if it stacks.  Just think about maxing out the hammies with it makes me shudder.  It's still great without the stack.  TFO on the other hand I didn't really like as much as I thought I would.  Monkeys too much with activation order, while TFA has literally no downside (never engineering with that thing anyway).

On 7/7/2017 at 1:07 PM, Blail Blerg said:

Thoughts on the two TF titles?  I fin the R1-3 is a bit tricky.  You gotta plan it. 

I tried TF Organa last night.  I was looking at it from the perspective of keeping the overall points spent cheap, and from the perspective that you're generally going to proceed to get blown up, which means you want the cheaper one-off than even the few points more expensive Ordinance Experts, or so my thinking was running.

I ran a variant of my Rieekan regional victory list (and GenCon) from a year ago.  I replaced SW-7 B Corvettes with Torpedo Frigates, with the idea being that they'd have the same basic overall function.  The only question was whether they could do it cheaper.

I deployed the two HH in a staggered offsite line.  With 5 activations, I knew I had the forward one as my last activation, and therefore with a clear path to the opponent's largest ship.  The idea behind the stagger is that I wanted them to come in a sequence on separate turns, each one triggering Rieekan as it rammed and was destroyed.  In that respect, I really wasn't getting good shots off of the back Corvette.  The title also only prohibits ship fire, not flak fire, and there were several times that a random flak shot was good or better than the ship shots.  If the choice is firing a single red die that is worth .75 average damage, and rerolling one or more black dice at 1.00 average damage per die, then it is really a no contest.  You also have the option of activating a backward HH, firing at red range, and then moving up to where it won't be destroyed immediately, thus preserving the two HH in sequence, followed by a free exhaust of the HH TF-O card on the already activated ship.  Since you may very well be waiting to activate the lead ramming ship last of all, this is actually good for getting the most out of the card AND avoids messing with your activation sequence much.  You're already in the position and sequence you need quite naturally to get the most out of it.  Once you've expended External Racks, you don't get a huge amount out of the Ordinance Experts, so saving the points seems prudent.

What I did see was that these ships are as vulnerable as Corvettes ever were to squadrons.  Without the tokens or shield capacity of the larger Corvette, they are much more vulnerable to a few chip shots from squadrons followed by possible death from a large ship so much as sneezing at it.   The saving grace is that the ship is much more durable from frontal shots than the standard Corvette.  It may not look like much on paper, but they managed to hold on for longer than I would have thought.  Depending upon how TF-A is ruled, picking a damage point off is going to help them stay alive, especially against squadrons.

My sense over three games now is that the TF titles are probably better in numbers greater than two.  I liked @Undeadguy's thought of using three.  That's just enough titles to get you some boosts.  Just having the two titles felt a bit thin.

A Dodonna list that is playing only one HH, but with the Garel's Honor title, is on my list of things to try.

3 hours ago, Vergilius said:

I deployed the two HH in a staggered offsite line.  With 5 activations, I knew I had the forward one as my last activation, and therefore with a clear path to the opponent's largest ship.  The idea behind the stagger is that I wanted them to come in a sequence on separate turns, each one triggering Rieekan as it rammed and was destroyed.  In that respect, I really wasn't getting good shots off of the back Corvette.  The title also only prohibits ship fire, not flak fire, and there were several times that a random flak shot was good or better than the ship shots.  If the choice is firing a single red die that is worth .75 average damage, and rerolling one or more black dice at 1.00 average damage per die, then it is really a no contest.  You also have the option of activating a backward HH, firing at red range, and then moving up to where it won't be destroyed immediately, thus preserving the two HH in sequence, followed by a free exhaust of the HH TF-O card on the already activated ship.  Since you may very well be waiting to activate the lead ramming ship last of all, this is actually good for getting the most out of the card AND avoids messing with your activation sequence much.  You're already in the position and sequence you need quite naturally to get the most out of it.  Once you've expended External Racks, you don't get a huge amount out of the Ordinance Experts, so saving the points seems prudent.

This.  Fully agree on this and this is how I ran them yesterday.

3 hours ago, Vergilius said:

A Dodonna list that is playing only one HH, but with the Garel's Honor title, is on my list of things to try.

I plan on trying it out tomorrow, I'll let you know?