Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

Doubts about expansions

Yeah i will try to have fun i just dont want to feel guilty of killing someone because i wanted or prefered to . i wanted to make it like ur doing , kinda rpg story but since im new to it i will have to play the storyline with the rules first. anyway thanks for the tip. The thing about the heros is if for example i want a hero to come and help a losing team, for example the rebels are getting destroyed by the empire, but then luke or han or whatever comes to help them comeback that fight. My issue is if i can do it when i want or if only if i do the unlocking mission of that hero first ( i dont know how that unlock works though, i'll have to wait until my box comes )

1 minute ago, goncardoso said:

Yeah i will try to have fun i just dont want to feel guilty of killing someone because i wanted or prefered to . i wanted to make it like ur doing , kinda rpg story but since im new to it i will have to play the storyline with the rules first. anyway thanks for the tip. The thing about the heros is if for example i want a hero to come and help a losing team, for example the rebels are getting destroyed by the empire, but then luke or han or whatever comes to help them comeback that fight. My issue is if i can do it when i want or if only if i do the unlocking mission of that hero first ( i dont know how that unlock works though, i'll have to wait until my box comes )

According to the official rules:

Some missions include either an "ally" (Han Solo, Chewbacca, etc.) or a "villain" (Darth Vader, IG-88, etc.) as a part of those missions, and they tie in to the story of that mission.  To make up a few examples, maybe the mission is "Help Han Solo when someone comes to collect his old smuggling debts" or "IG-88 has come to collect a bounty on a rebel commander" or whatever.  Once that mission's over, though, you put Han or Iggy back into the box.

However throughout the course of the campaign you may have the chance to play side missions that let you "earn" or "unlock" the ally/villain permanently.  So if you win the Luke Skywalker mission and earn him as an ally then you can choose to bring Luke along with you to any mission (although if you choose to do this the imperial gets some extra figures as compensation).  If the imperial wins a villain then they can deploy that villain to any mission, just like any other figure (but they are usually expensive).  But again, at least officially, you can only bring them to any mission if you have earned them first.

Playing by yourself:

You make your own rules :).  If you want a campaign where IG-88 is hounding you at every turn and your buddy Chewbacca is always there to back you up, just pretend that you've earned the hero/villain right from the start and go from there.

On 7/6/2017 at 11:07 AM, ManateeX said:

The only exception to that is that sometimes some of the small blister-pack characters need map tiles from their associated expansion.  The mission that lets you earn Boba Fett in campaign, for example, needs tiles from the Twin Shadows box.  If you want to use Lando in the campaign, you will need tiles from the Bespin Gambit.  (Note that if you're into skirmish instead of campaign then you can use the characters without the map tiles).

It's true that you do need expansions for certain Ally/Villain Packs but you do not need Twin Shadows tiles or deployment cards to play the Boba Fett Villain Pack campaign side mission. But you do need Twin Shadows for the Skirmish mission. Just thought I'd say that in case someone was interested in it for the campaign. That said, the Agenda set it's in is not great IMHO and the mission has mixed reviews. A few other issues too. But Boba though.

Also, RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant is pretty solid for solo/co-op play: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1724080/redjaks-automated-imperial-variant-raiv-v1-under-n

Edited by usgrandprix

I was baffled by all this too as a new player (still am pretty new).

Somebody might have already explained this but I will do it anyway in terms I would have understood as a new player with so much to take in-

If you have the core set, then buy a new expansion (a small one such as Han Solo.....or any pack like rebel troopers).  What happens is you get cards in the pack too.  Cards that show the stats etc like for everyone else, but also a Mission Card.  This card gets put into the existing side mission deck from the core set.  

So, when you next pick side missions, that new card has a chance to appear in your campaign...quite often the side mission might be 'rescue han solo' or something like that and if the heroes win, they get Han as an ally.

Everything fits in nicely.

It's important to note that you build the side mission deck (and the agenda deck) at the start of the campaign.   You aren't supposed to add cards to it mid campaign.     That said, I've swapped out specific cards when I have bought Ally/Villain packs when it made sense.   To me it was more important to keep the balance of green/gray/red side missions correct.   My players really want the red missions, sort of want the green missions, and really don't care for the gray ones.

20 hours ago, Kelbesq said:

It's important to note that you build the side mission deck (and the agenda deck) at the start of the campaign.   You aren't supposed to add cards to it mid campaign.     That said, I've swapped out specific cards when I have bought Ally/Villain packs when it made sense.   To me it was more important to keep the balance of green/gray/red side missions correct.   My players really want the red missions, sort of want the green missions, and really don't care for the gray ones.

I also made a decision to insert some new cards mid campaign(as a new player I bought some cards...wanted there to be a chance of them seeing action).

I honestly couldn't see much harm in it so long as you say the balance is maintained.

8 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

I also made a decision to insert some new cards mid campaign(as a new player I bought some cards...wanted there to be a chance of them seeing action).

I honestly couldn't see much harm in it so long as you say the balance is maintained.

I've had expansions come in midway through a campaign.  I feel that as long as I as the Empire can use the new deployment groups, my Rebels should be able to reevaluate their unearned allies based on the new information.  Also, I automatically add in all new items to that deck.