Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

Doubts about expansions

Hi, this topic is more for old players or casual players at this game. Do i have to buy the expansions in order to have a complete or better experience / gameplay or could i buy the ones i want the most first and that will not change the game or story or mechanics ?

im still new at this and i got the core box . i wanted to buy jabba realm and coruscant expansions first, along with characters like luke, palpatine, darth maul, obi-wan, han solo ,etc.. but dont know if that will ruin the game or cant be playable at the expansions or core set. 

btw is it possible for get more versions of a character in this game ? like getting another darth vader for example ?

31 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

Hi, this topic is more for old players or casual players at this game. Do i have to buy the expansions in order to have a complete or better experience / gameplay or could i buy the ones i want the most first and that will not change the game or story or mechanics ?

im still new at this and i got the core box . i wanted to buy jabba realm and coruscant expansions first, along with characters like luke, palpatine, darth maul, obi-wan, han solo ,etc.. but dont know if that will ruin the game or cant be playable at the expansions or core set. 

btw is it possible for get more versions of a character in this game ? like getting another darth vader for example ?

Regarding the expansions, you can really get them in any order and they will be just as fun.  The ally and villain packs (the small character expansions) can be brought into any game, including the core.  All of the other new stuff (heroes, weapons, imperial class decks, etc.) can all be mixed and matched between campaigns.  Also, each campaign is its own stand-alone story, so you're not missing out by doing them in the wrong order.  So really, get whatever floats your boat! :)

The only exception to that is that sometimes some of the small blister-pack characters need map tiles from their associated expansion.  The mission that lets you earn Boba Fett in campaign, for example, needs tiles from the Twin Shadows box.  If you want to use Lando in the campaign, you will need tiles from the Bespin Gambit.  (Note that if you're into skirmish instead of campaign then you can use the characters without the map tiles).

From the sounds of your list, though, you won't need to worry too much.  Han Solo and Obi-Wan only use tiles from the core game.  Jed Luke might (I don't remember) use tiles from Jabba's Realm and palps and maul might (no info yet) use tiles from the new Coruscant box, but if you're planning on picking up those boxes anyway then you should be good to go.

As for your final question, so far the only character that has two versions is Luke.  In one of the designer interviews (from the boardwars.eu guys, I think?) they mentioned that they chose Luke because he grew to become such a different character between the first movie and the third.  To me this indicates that while multiple versions of other characters are possible they're not all that likely, since there's really not a whole lot of difference in the abilities of, say, Leia throughout the course of the movies.

Edited by ManateeX

Basically, any single wave can integrate perfectly fine with the core set.  What I mean by that is that you could buy the core set and then immediately get Heart of the Empire and be totally fine- you don't need to build up to it with previous releases.

As ManateeX points out, you'll typically need the corresponding boxed expansion for each figure pack.  If you have any doubts, check them out here to see what you need.

As far as heroes and units go, they can typically be used with any campaign.  There was the timeline rule originally, but that seems to have been mostly abandoned.  And, though I'm sure we all have our opinions, I wouldn't say any unit single-handedly really breaks the meta in campaign.

Finally- each campaign is its own standalone story, so you don't even need to play them in order.  In fact, there's a strong case to be made that the newest expansion (Heart of the Empire) is actually occurring prior to all previous campaigns.  

However, you should also know the difference between Big Box and Small Box.  Big boxes, along with more components, have a new, full campaign.  Small boxes feature a shorter mini campaign that is comprised entirely of missions that can also be implemented as side missions in (almost) any full campaign.

So, these boxes all contain their own standalone experience:

Core Box

Return to Hoth

Jabba's Realm

Heart of the Empire

While these boxes have a short campaign of just a few missions, but can also be used to bolster the available missions while creating a full campaign:

Twin Shadows

The Bespin Gambit

27 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

btw is it possible to have "support" characters like Thrawn, Yoda or Tarkin ? i mean they are more tatical..

They did something like that with Jabba, so I could see it happening.  The biggest complaint that people usually have is that those characters wouldn't be involved in a small ground skirmish, but to that I say that if you can have the emperor then the rest have to be fair game :)

Edited by ManateeX

Totally.  As already stated, the Emperor and Jabba are both support characters.  A few of the Imperial officer heroes (Sorin, Somos, Weiss) are at least partly support, too.  Then there's characters like Gideon, or the Imperial Officers.

I think overall, these characters have been used in a relatively believable setting when starting or reserved groups.  If they're included as open groups or in a skirmish set... well, that's by choice, so I don't see any reason for someone to complain.

In addition to the map tile/mission comments above, I'll add that one other thing to consider for campaign use are that some expansions have better fluff items for the campaign: gear, class decks and agenda sets (for the IP), allies your heroes can potentially earn to bring with them on missions, etc. (if you want a Tier III Electrostaff for your melee hero, for example, you need the Grand Inquisitor pack). Not to mention the actual campaign heroes themselves, which vary by expansion box. And while the Core box heroes are generally very good, there are some studs in the expansions as well (Verena and MHD in RTH, Shyla in JR, plus perhaps Davith, Onar, Murne, and others, depending on who you talk to ;) ).

For skirmish, that'd be command cards, skirmish attachments, and of course deployment cards and models. 

Beyond those sort of cosmetic preferences, though, my sense is that you can add whatever expansion boxes/packs you like as long as you have the core set.

Edited by Rythbryt

hum i see.. 

the problem is i will probably run it alone since i dont know anyone where i live that plays it. so skirmish isnt really what im looking for since its not that fun playing it alone unless they release a app

Hey, I'm playing with a freind (who takes all 4 heroes) and also alone.

When playing alone i dont read the whole mission, only the header of whats coming next. It works and deffinitley helps when my gaming buddy reaches the same scenarion.

my advice is to get the non named villans as these add extra deploments for the empire without having to win them. Twin shadows i think is a good start to get heavy ST and sand people but its really up to you which expansions you get in which order.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:49 AM, goncardoso said:

hum i see.. 

the problem is i will probably run it alone since i dont know anyone where i live that plays it. so skirmish isnt really what im looking for since its not that fun playing it alone unless they release a app

If only there was an app to manage the game<_<

On 7/8/2017 at 6:49 AM, goncardoso said:

hum i see.. 

Playing the game alone is not that bad.  I also play with 2 friends from time to time, but sometimes, our respective schedules are quite hard to synchronize.  Since I love this game it is permanently set up in my garage where I will sometimes disappear for half an hour to play a few activations.  A mission can therefore stay active for a few days.  It somehow helps to diminish the bias introduced by playing both sides as any tactic I might have had may fade away after a day or two and I have to rethink what to do next.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

2 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

yeah since i never played it i dont know how that works. i hope i can play it well alone, i mean im really wanting to.

Are there other campaign style games you have tried alone? A lot of the game depends on the Rebels not knowing certain things (what happens when they open a door, for instance) and it seems like this would be particularly challenging with just one person.

I'm not one to normally recommend another game on the forums, but have you tried Pandemic: Legacy? It would be much less expensive than this, would last a quite awhile, and playing solo would play very similarly to how a group game would go. I had a group of five that played one board with four characters, and there was one week where we played it with as few as two players. No one matter how many showed up, or who played which characters, the game was still like a fun puzzle.

I have played a number of missions solo playing both sides. As long as you don't plan the imperial side in too much detail, it works quite well playing both sides to your best. It's pretty exhausting way to play though.

And I have Play By Forum for very strategic play ( a1bert's Imperial Assault Play by Forum Campaigns )

Edited by a1bert

23 minutes ago, a1bert said:

I have played a number of missions solo playing both sides. As long as you don't plan the imperial side in too much detail, it works quite well playing both sides to your best. It's pretty exhausting way to play though.

And I have Play By Forum for very strategic play ( a1bert's Imperial Assault Play by Forum Campaigns )

Oh yeah. It's definitely possible. I've done it for playtesting certain missions (swapping out the Elite Nexu for a Bantha in High Moon for instance), but exhausting is exactly the right word for it. It's not what I consider fun, and for those who do consider it to be fun, I imagine there are other games out there that could give you that same thrill more easily. If I wanted to play Imperial Assault solo, I'd just play X-Com on my laptop.

Then again, I expect that if I could find an RPG that was simple to pick up and play with lots of action, had lots of bells and whistles to help juice up the drama, and bascially held the DM's hand through things, I'd probably drop IA pretty quick.

38 minutes ago, Pollux85 said:

Are there other campaign style games you have tried alone? A lot of the game depends on the Rebels not knowing certain things (what happens when they open a door, for instance) and it seems like this would be particularly challenging with just one person.

I'm not one to normally recommend another game on the forums, but have you tried Pandemic: Legacy? It would be much less expensive than this, would last a quite awhile, and playing solo would play very similarly to how a group game would go. I had a group of five that played one board with four characters, and there was one week where we played it with as few as two players. No one matter how many showed up, or who played which characters, the game was still like a fun puzzle.

ahn.. no i never played other boardgame alone. And thanks for the advice but i currently only have interest in Imperial Assault.

I'll add my name to the I-play-both-sides group.  It's not my favourite way to play, but when the other option is "not playing at all" it comes out way on top :P.  It can be a lot to keep track of an imperial and four heroes, though, especially late in the campaign when there are so many XP abilities.  But on the plus side it's really good training for when you do finally get to play with someone.  For what it's worth I also have Descent and the Road to Legend app, but I actually enjoy playing Imperial Assault more even if it's just me on both sides.

Like Corver suggested I read the triggers for the imperial events in advance but not what actually happens, that way my rebel side can still be somewhat surprised.  And sure, maybe that means that the imp side is at a bit of a disadvantage but as long as I'm having fun with it I figure it's not all that important.

You might also want to consider one of Redjak's solo variants that automate the imperial side (a quick search on the BoardGameGeek IA forums should turn it up) as a lot of people seem to really like them.  Personally I started a campaign and, while it was still pretty fun, every time one of the imperial figures made a bad move it would bug me since I figured that a real imperial would never do something like that.  After a while I just started ignoring the cards that told them to do bad moves and doing better ones instead, and before long I realized that I was more or less back to just playing against myself in any case.   But if you don't mind suspending disbelief a little bit, these variants let you play without quite so much brain-burn (which might also be a good way to do it while you're learning).

For what it's worth I've also tried playing skirmish against myself to test out a few lists, but I found that to be so boring that I gave up half way through.  I have no idea why I can enjoy playing both sides of the campaign but not the skirmish, but there it is.

So long story short, this game is definitely solo-able if you're okay with playing both sides, but it's not for everyone.  It does get to be a lot to keep track of, and playing against yourself is either something you enjoy or you don't.

4 hours ago, ManateeX said:

I'll add my name to the I-play-both-sides group.  It's not my favourite way to play, but when the other option is "not playing at all" it comes out way on top

And like me, I bet you have yet to loose a mission ?

It's a great game! If you want to play by yourself, just try to have some options available for "random"...since you know, "oh I'm ALWAYS going to attack this one character then". Roll a 6-sided dice or flip a coin to at least add some randomness to what COULD happen. That way it feels like you're not always making the "best choices" automatically.

Also, if going to buy anything, I'd at least suggest all the box sets. You get the best bang for your $$ that way. So many good characters for heroes to mix then, you also have pretty much all the non-uniques, and then you also have all the main story arcs available to you to play, as well as ALL the tiles. So if you decided to buy stuff out of order, you can at least play it.

~D

i never played this so i probably will make some mistakes and read the rules and etc.

but im not going to play one side obviously. I will try to play fair to both sides. Though my questions are: if i can create different teams in campaign in case i buy expansions for the game. And for example can i have Vader on more than the missions he is called to appear? (dont know how many or if there is one for him, was just a example ). Are the missions hard to play alone ? i mean are they hard to not be manipulated in terms of story in gameplay has i'm playing alone?  For example if i want the imperials to give more harsh time to rebels  but in the core they do stupid things like it was said above.

btw thanks for the tips i will try to enjoy this alone since i love star wars :)

17 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

i never played this so i probably will make some mistakes and read the rules and etc.

but im not going to play one side obviously. I will try to play fair to both sides. Though my questions are: if i can create different teams in campaign in case i buy expansions for the game. And for example can i have Vader on more than the missions he is called to appear? (dont know how many or if there is one for him, was just a example ). Are the missions hard to play alone ? i mean are they hard to not be manipulated in terms of story in gameplay has i'm playing alone?  For example if i want the imperials to give more harsh time to rebels  but in the core they do stupid things like it was said above.

btw thanks for the tips i will try to enjoy this alone since i love star wars :)

Storywise, the game has always had more of a loose narrative than a true "story". You can mix and match missions together and manipulate things very easily, especially with the newer expansions (Jabba's Realm and Heart of the Empire), which seem to have abandoned the adherence to timeline that earlier boxes used. Giving the Rebels a "hard" time is as simple as just swapping out more expensive figures on your initial deployments, giving the IP extra Influence, or reducing the credits and XP the Rebels get for missions.

I've been toying with getting a group together and combining some of the expansions into a sort of "Open-World" campaign, where they can tackle missions as they see fit, and if they want to pursue the storyline that is contained in the Core Box they can, or if they want to just earn Han Solo as an ally and run side missions with him for a long time they can. I think in this regard, playing the game solo would make it even easier to mod and insert your own house rules.

23 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

As long as you don't get mad at yourself that'll be fine ;) 

23 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

And for example can i have Vader on more than the missions he is called to appear? (dont know how many or if there is one for him, was just a example ). Are the missions hard to play alone ?

I would play a few missions "as is" first until you get a good feel of the rules.  Then since you're playing alone you can do whatever you want in a sense.  For example for unique allies and villains (Luke, Han, Vader, etc) you usually need to "unlock" them via a side mission (for unique allies) or via an agenda mission (for unique villain).  But when I play alone I just ignore that and bring whoever I want as long as it makes sense to me from a thematic point of view.  For instance I'm planing a "custom" campaign (custom in the sense that I am rewriting the narrative and linking together missions from various expansion.  I have been playing this campaign alone so far, but will start it over as the Imperial against my rebel friends this Friday).  I'll have one mission happening during the battle of Hoth where the imperials are trying to destroy the Ion canon command center to help the imperial fleet intercept the escaping rebels in space.  Per the ESB movie, we know Vader himself is among the snowtroopers on the front line.  He will eventually show up during the mission!!!!

32 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

Are the missions hard to play alone ? i mean are they hard to not be manipulated in terms of story in gameplay has i'm playing alone?  For example if i want the imperials to give more harsh time to rebels  but in the core they do stupid things like it was said above.

First I will say that I usually play this game thematically when it comes to selecting the imperial open group (whether I play alone or with friends since we approach this game more as a RPG than a competitive game).  If the mission set up calls for desert tiles, do not expect to see snowtroopers as one of my open group squad.  If you see some royal guards pop up at some point, prepare yourself for some Darth Vader's wrath or a royal guard champion's showdown.    All that to say that I am definitely not selecting the best imperial squad in hope to crush the rebels.  I'd rather enjoy bringing 2 regular and the elite stormtrooper squads that will go down easily but that I can reinforce also easily to create the illusion of a trooper swarm because it makes sense to do it (indoor tiles representing an imperial base you'd rather expect infinite legion of stormtroopers rushing at you) than a nexu and some trandoshans that will have me wonder what the hell they are doing in an imperial base.  

I think one way to go regarding imperial tactics when playing solo is to focus on one hero at a time (if possible) during a given round, but that's just me.  The campaign I'm solo-ing right now is Jabba's Realm.  There is a rebel hero with 20 health points but no defense die.  He's usually the one I try to take down first.   If I was playing with friends I might not use that tactic as it might become frustrating to always be the one being targeted first mission after mission ...

Anyway, playing against yourself, I presume you'll not want to annihilate your "other self" ;)  Try to have fun, that is the most important thing with playing this game solo.