Sign in to follow this  
Budgernaut

Mismatched terrain images

I was setting up a skirmish game tonight and I noticed something about the Rocky Outcrop/Spikes terrain cards.

First, get out those two terrain cards and the corresponding terrain pieces. Next, flip both pieces to the Rocky Outcrop side and compare the images to the ones on the terrain cards. Place the corresponding terrain token next to the matching deployment card. (You'll see that they aren't identical because one has four, bright, small rocks around the large outcrop surrounding the edge that is indented.)

Now, flip them over. You'll see that the images on the spike terrain tiles are swapped relative to the images on the terrain card.

This is not an issue by any means. Just something quirky that I noticed.

20 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Thank god you didn't include a picture, I'll just pretend this never happened.

Well photobucket is being a jerk to me now and I haven't set up a new account with a different image-hosting site.

Besides, I can't show you in an image that they're on the wrong sides of the tile. I could just show you what all the sides look like, but you wouldn't know which image was on which side without me telling you. I can't flip it over in an image.

Edited by Budgernaut

Gah typical evil corporations trying to pull the wool over our eyes with their mismatching templates and cards! I WILL NOT REST UNTIL THEY HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO JUSTICE!!! #TEMPLATEGATE!!!

Edited by jek

Okay, here is a scan. Like I said, you can't know from this image if I didn't just switch things around to make it look mismatched because the terrain tiles are exactly the same shape. But it's an image, nonetheless.

n0lRkZpSZHHi3qyeaLwoJ2jrrCg1SOeKVsrlPYpz

So how did I discover this? I decided to be a strict about the terrain as I set them up for the game. Instead of just grabbing whichever Rocky Outcrop was closest, I wanted make sure I got the one that matched the image. Next, I drew Spikes, so I went to grab the other token with its spikes side face-up. But I noticed that the spikes I grabbed didn't match the one on the image. [jest]Then I realized that all was lost because I couldn't actually complete setup without a second core set because I didn't have the right combination of pieces.[/jest]

Edited by Budgernaut

On 7/6/2017 at 8:23 AM, jek said:

I'm all for an over inflated conspiracy theory and all but what am I trying to discern here? #TEMPLATEGATE #TRUSTNOGAME

I scanned the corresponding token above the card with the rocky outcrop on top. Then I flipped the tokens over, swapped them to the other card, and put them beneath the card for the second scan. Then I merged the two scans together. So it looks like they match perfectly, but I swapped the tokens between top and bottom. Like I said, you can't tell from a picture that they're mismatched because I can't show you both sides at the same time.

Wait, let me try this.

K0XP3Pg3yan_-U_Ucha47xvb0xtt_A8WDJxsr-Zr

This new image shows both of my tiles next both of my cards with no post-scan editing. As you can see, the tiles match up perfectly with the card on the left. Ideally, you should not be able to see both images shown on a single card on both terrain pieces at the same time because the card should show two sides of the same terrain token. It should be impossible for me to have both sides of the first card showing in a single scan.

So, as in my game before, I drew the left card for defensive terrain and placed the Rocky Outcrop shown. Then I drew another card from the deck and got the other Spikes, shown on the right. As you can see, it has a different image. The Spikes terrain token I had left to place was the one that matched the first card that I drew, so I couldn't resolve the second terrain piece exactly as shown because I didn't have the right image for the spikes piece.

Edited by Budgernaut

18 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

Luckily it's the shape that matters, not the pictures.

Absolutely. It's really a minor goof. It's not like they put Rocky Outcrop on both sides of one token.

Technically, though, the rules say, "Place Terrain: Shuffle the terrain cards together. Then, deal out a number of cards equal to the number listed next to the defensive terrain ( ? ) icon on the chosen deployment card. Set aside the terrain pieces indicated on the defensive-terrain half of the dealt cards. Repeat this process for the number shown next to the dangerous terrain ( ? ) icon as well." The rules don't mention shape at all, so somebody could get really upset about this mishap, complaining that the correct terrain piece indicated on the card is not available to set aside. Fortunately, though, it has no effect on game play so there's nothing to get bent out of shape over.

59 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

What the actual F

Well these are the important questions of our time: Can you shuffle one card? And do we know all social and economic truths relating to cards? And most importantly: What is a card anyway, are we really sure we got that right?

And don't start with all the unanswered questions about dice, there is so much science to do before we can make a neat gun.

Edited by Iceeagle85