Force Majeure

Image hosting question

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Instead of seeing my pictures I'm getting a message from my image hosting site, Photobucket, that is asking me to basically subscribe to a $30/month plan so I can share my pics here on the Forums. I've seen the same thing on some other folks' posts as well.

Anyone have an image hosting site they'd like to recommend? I live like a hobo, so a free one if possible that allows for decent sized pictures (Imugr looks a little small to me). Okay, I don't really live like a hobo, but I'm cheap, alright?

Edited by Force Majeure
Barry Harker likes this

6 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Instead of seeing my pictures I'm getting a message from my image hosting site, Photobucket, that is asking me to basically subscribe to a $30/month plan so I can share my pics here on the Forums. I've seen the same thing on some other folks' posts as well.

Anyone have an image hosting site they'd like to recommend? I live like a hobo, so a free one if possible that allows for decent sized pictures (Imugr looks a little small to me). Okay, I don't really live like a hobo, but I'm cheap, alright?

Hello Force.

I had and Have the exact problem your having.

Photobucket has basically taken a new market strategy.......hold everyone to Ransom !

I have been using Photobucket for over ten years, and the last few years even paid a monthly fee to stop the adverts.

But now like everyone else, we can only display our images again "3rd party hosting" if we pay $399.00 for one year.

Bloody disgraceful !

So the only real option is to go to another sight, re-load all of the photos on there and then go back into your posts, copy and paste and replace

everything that was Photobucket with another hosting sight. very annoying and time consuming. but better than being bribed !

Imgur  is good,

I'm using Image shack........http://imageshack.com/

Actually easier and faster than Photobucket !

When you first sign up for an account, they will offer you a half price discount.......$18 for the whole year.

you can have a free account, but that small fee gets rid of the pop up adverts, and its faster.

Good luck and hope to see your's and everyone else's images back up soon.

And I hope lots of people stick two fingers up at Photobucket, and they eventually go out of Business.

Bad enough treating people that way with free accounts, let alone paying customers.

I can understand they need to cover the costs of image hosting......takes up huge server space.

But give people notice and don't charge extortionate prices.

They must have a new guy in charge of marketing.......by the name of Palpatine !

All the best,

Barry.

Force Majeure likes this

@Barry Harker Ugh, your multiple image heavy posts have been so helpful and given inspiration to many projects that I can't imagine the pain in the neck it's going to be for you to even consider re-loading all your pics.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will give it a look.

I hadn't seen you post lately, so I thought you were on extended holiday or really wrapped up with work; glad to know the godfather of the Painting forums is still kicking!

Barry Harker likes this

At the moment my photos on PhotoBucket seem ok, though I have been paying for more file space for several years. Maybe that's helped, maybe not. I'm not about to change just yet, like Barry I've been using them for over 10 years and have well over 1000 photos up online, many linked to a few forums.

If it has/had hit my photos, my paid account will be closed and I won't be bothering to put my photos back up and re-linking them. Simply way too many and way too hard to dig them all up and even remember what went where.

:(

I host mine on my own website. It's like $10 a month + $10/year to register the address. I also use my server to handle my emails and a few side projects (including our league's website), so the overall cost is minimal for the benefits I get out of it.

1 hour ago, drjkel said:

I host mine on my own website. It's like $10 a month + $10/year to register the address. I also use my server to handle my emails and a few side projects (including our league's website), so the overall cost is minimal for the benefits I get out of it.

Huh... I have my own domain, website, ability to host my own images, and yet I throw everything into Imgur (now that photobucket wants my monies...). Using my own website, which I already pay for, never ever occurred to me... *doh*

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, Vellcrow said:

Yeah, leave photobucket behind.  Too many ads.  I switched to Imgur as well.

I went Imgur to get away from photobucket's adverts and how sluggish their site is, then I noticed all my old posts using photobucket now want $$ to share images - feel like they're going to lose a lot of subscribers...

17 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

@Barry Harker Ugh, your multiple image heavy posts have been so helpful and given inspiration to many projects that I can't imagine the pain in the neck it's going to be for you to even consider re-loading all your pics.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will give it a look.

I hadn't seen you post lately, so I thought you were on extended holiday or really wrapped up with work; glad to know the godfather of the Painting forums is still kicking!

Ha Ha Yes I have been very very busy. Lots of work on..........and no time to play.

Ill soon have everything back up as I have been sorting through it all this week.

Normal service should resume soon :D

All the best,

Barry.

SOLAR FLARE and Force Majeure like this

Posted (edited)

I've used photobucket for years, but I recently switched over to Instagram.  I didn't realize that Photobucket was now charging (I'll have to go through my thread and see if I have to update things).  But what's really nice about Instagram is that I can just link one picture, and you can scroll through the entire set of pictures.  So it ends up taking up a whole lot less space than it previously did.

And I just went back through and found out that all of my photobucket pictures from the past 4 years are all effed up.  Well that's the last time I upload anything at all to their site.  I've gone through and gotten rid of the preview and just left the link in all of my old posts - but it's going to be way too much work to re-upload them all and link to the new location in all of the posts, so that'll have to do for now.

Edited by Khyros
Force Majeure likes this