Sign in to follow this  
Scott Bot

A thought on the publication of Genesys

With EOTE having wrapped it's publication schedule (already?) and AOR and FAD quickly catching up (yeesh!) I had, before the announcement of Genesys, wondered what FFG would do to keep the SW RPG going.  The FABG box set seemed to confirm my best scenario idea, that they would refresh the system with a broad franchise CRB 2nd Edition, rather than extend those lines.

Now, with Genesys, I am not so sure.   They could just do SW adventures and supplements while making Genesys the new CRB, as a SW2E would amount to the same thing in a different skin.  

Yet, there could be a licensing issue at work here.  We all know that FFG had the publication deal in place before the Disney buyout.   No doubt, after AOR and FAD wrap up, they must renegotiate the license.  While there's no reason to believe that Disney is unhappy with their work , there is also no guarantee (beyond the minis games like X Wing and IA proving hugely popular).  It's just that RPGs are both niche and the least of most companies concerns (consider the Warhammer situation).  

So it could very well be that Genesys is FFG's attempt to make sure the game mechanics remain their IP rights before the renegotiation with Disney to come, similar with WEG unsure if they owned d6 or did Lucasfilm?  

Discuss....

1 hour ago, themensch said:

Do you have a source on that?

From the start each line was designed to have 6 career books, 3 adventures, and 2 system books (not counting the Beginner's Games and free PDF adventures, but they have all followed the same format).  That was my understanding per posts here from people that either worked on the game or playtested and were close enough to hear the particulars first hand.  

AFAIK, that means Disney cannot pull the license (again, not that they would want to) until this publishing deal is complete (i.e. the final FAD adventure or system book is published) after which the parties would meet to renegotiate.  That said, there must be some legal room for flexibility, as the FABG would not have been included in that deal , so surely either FFG placed a call, or even Disney called them, to say, "Yeah, do it!"

To be clear: this is ONLY how I understand it (currently) and applies only to the RPG license.  I have no idea if it really falls under a separate deal from X-Wing and all the other minis games, or if it really is a matter of FFG having a 10 year option on the broader SW license or something more simplistic like that.

15 minutes ago, Scott Bot said:

From the start each line was designed to have 6 career books, 3 adventures, and 2 system books (not counting the Beginner's Games and free PDF adventures, but they have all followed the same format).  That was my understanding per posts here from people that either worked on the game or playtested and were close enough to hear the particulars first hand.  

Playtesters are under a NDA, and FFG developers have a policy not to talk about future or cut content in detail outside of announcement articles. Me thinks what you've heard is conjecture.

15 hours ago, Scott Bot said:

Close.  But each line, from what we've all been led to believe, will be 6 career books and at least 3 adventures and 3 region books.

EotE still has one more book set for release ... that 3rd region book.  *crossing fingers for Tatooine*

That said, there could very easily be more adventures and region books that could see release.

Edited by Harlock999

Never the less, I'd still like to see it run for a while. Even though I do like the system, I've got a harder time finding players when they can't buy books, and it's hard enough to find the books while this system is live... lol. I'm in a place where getting groups is hard, and when I get into more comfortable gaming places, I would like to play a few campaigns in this, rather than have it sit on my shelf for years. 

That said, Genesys will be a good way to keep the mechanics alive if the IP goes to someone else.

15 hours ago, Scott Bot said:

To be clear: this is ONLY how I understand it (currently) and applies only to the RPG license.  I have no idea if it really falls under a separate deal from X-Wing and all the other minis games, or if it really is a matter of FFG having a 10 year option on the broader SW license or something more simplistic like that.

None, or at least very few of us do, and even fewer can speak to it.  That's why I was taken aback by your statement that the line was completed and that you somehow had some other source of information from which your opinion was formed.  

3 minutes ago, Hexnwolf said:

Never the less, I'd still like to see it run for a while. Even though I do like the system, I've got a harder time finding players when they can't buy books, and it's hard enough to find the books while this system is live... lol. I'm in a place where getting groups is hard, and when I get into more comfortable gaming places, I would like to play a few campaigns in this, rather than have it sit on my shelf for years. 

That said, Genesys will be a good way to keep the mechanics alive if the IP goes to someone else.

And given that Genesys supports space opera out of the box, give it a week and there'll be a Star Wars Genesys hack.

3 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

And given that Genesys supports space opera out of the box, give it a week and there'll be a Star Wars Genesys hack.

2 hours ago, dresdinseven said:

That's true. Give it a good old fashioned tune up.

But at first I thought "isn't that just... what we already have?"

I actually hadn't put that together. and now mind=blown. Okay, well then. :D I'm actually quite happen at this point. I'll never have to leave my favorite star wars system (alas poor D6, I knew you well... but *tosses skull* times change).

On 7/4/2017 at 8:31 PM, Forgottenlore said:

Plus, companies don't get licenses on a per game basis. The FFG Star Wars license covers the RPGs, X-wing, armada, imperial assault, destiny, and whatever other SW game FFG make. 

True, there is a single license contract, but, specific terminology is very much in play with such IP's, especially that which originate from a different medium.  More typified, kid-friendly board games, for instance, are the domain of Hasbro's various divisions (SW Clue, SW Risk, SW Monopoly, etc. - goes to Milton Bradley [?], USA-opoly and so on).    

AFAIK, this prohibits FFG from marketing any of their SW games as "board games" or "family games".   Thus, such branding as "miniatures games", "LCG's", "CCGs", "cards and dice games", "roleplaying games" - yadda yadda.  A blanket term such as "collectible games" MIGHT apply, but not likely - otherwise too many licensee publishers would be scrambling to get out too similar a product ("RPG" versus a "storyteller game" versus a "tabletop narrative game", for instance).   LFL/Disney is smart to condense as many gaming types as possible to a single company that can assure both quality and consistency.   Consider how broken up ST and Firefly/Serenity are, and the flagging highs and lows in quality.

This basically amounts to what I said before but I thought I'd clarify.

11 hours ago, Desslok said:

cmmp5.jpg

panic-pacific-cbt.png

New...for the End of the World RPG:  RPG Licensing Apocalypse!  Your friends are all over one night for a session of your favorite RPG, when all of a sudden, they realize the game's license is about to expire!  Oh, the humanity!  What will you do?  Four available scenarios:  run to the nearest game store to buy a generic system, storm the publishing house to force them to continue the game, go after the lawyers, or design a new game from the ground up!  Each scenario is presented in both apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic outlines!  Not new, not coming this fall (or ever) from FFG.  :D!