jmswood

Independence Day

Star Wars and the X-wing Miniatures Game were made possible in part by a Declaration of Independence in 1776. Happy Independence Day United States. 

Everywhere else in the world, the day is still just the 4th of July. Doesn't mean you can't celebrate anyway. We celebrate your holidays too, even if we don't know what we're actually celebrating. (Looking at you, Cinco De Mayo.)

Also, I'm looking for a great way to incorporate Star Wars into my Independence Day observance. Any ideas?

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation. 

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: 

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"  

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

Yay! The founding fathers traded one oppressive government for another!

Let's have a barbecue!

Disclaimer: I am not trying to toss a ton of shade on anyone's celebration. I'm just saying is all.I shan't interfere with the thread or engage in anti political tomfoolery.i love everybody,carry on.as you were.

"Star Wars and the X-wing Miniatures Game were made possible in part by a Declaration of Independence in 1776. "

Erm... OK... if you like. Other than by examining chaos theory I'm not sure how you make this assertion... but never mind.

Enjoy the holiday, and I hope the whole "no taxation without representation" thing is going well for you... 

Shooting them would not have been good; the writers of Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 of the Constitution of the United States.....besides, the US is not a democracy as many think they understand it; it's a Constitutional Republic. There's actually a big difference. I think the electoral college is to insure the highly populated cities and states do not run rough-shot over the lesser populated ones that supply most of the raw materials and food goods for the county; to insure every place has a somewhat equal-ish say.

I may be incorrect....it wouldn't be the first time ? 

3 hours ago, tortugatron said:

Just play the celebration at the end of episode VI over and over again. 

This is a great idea, except I'm going to loop the celebration at the end of Episode I.

Today has already been started off by blaring John Philip Sousa marches early in the morning.

3 hours ago, SOTL said:

But mostly it was made possible by the country that America so recklessly independented yourself of, seeing as the films were made in Pinewood with a largely UK cast & crew.

Something something insignificant rebellion.

You clearly can't be lighthearted about this. I am not ungrateful to the contributions of any other culture in any ceative medium. You, on the other hand, stoop to the level of deliberately belittleing others and their heritage.

Of course the UK makes great contributions to Star Wars. George couldn't have done it without them.

2 hours ago, Dave Grant said:

Erm... OK... if you like. Other than by examining chaos theory I'm not sure how you make this assertion... but never mind.

No Chaos Theory required. Many of the stepping stones on the way to Star Wars were American contributions to Science Fiction, cinema, the arts in general and the proliferation of free and independent media, which for Americans has it's roots in our Revolutionary period. There's a brief retroactive explanation of my comment, which was mostly made in jest anyway.

59 minutes ago, TheHumanHydra said:

Happy Independence Day, Americans!

As a side note, for those who may not have known, Canada just celebrated its 150th anniversary of Confederation on the 1st. Happy belated Canada Day, fellow Canadians!

Thank you for sharing. I had no idea. Happy Anniversary Canada.

1 hour ago, TheHumanHydra said:

Happy Independence Day, Americans!

As a side note, for those who may not have known, Canada just celebrated its 150th anniversary of Confederation on the 1st. Happy belated Canada Day, fellow Canadians!

I watched Canadian Brass here in Chicago on July 1st at Millennium Park.  Amazingly good and witty as well.  I bought 4 of their CDs to je me souviens (si vous etes Quebequois).

Also, thank you for Bryan Adams, Jim Carrey, William Shatner, maple syrup, and a better form of bacon :)

1 hour ago, Dengar5 said:

This is a great idea, except I'm going to loop the celebration at the end of Episode I.

Today has already been started off by blaring John Philip Sousa marches early in the morning.

Ditto!!

Then Copland, and now John Williams (America and Star Wars in one fell swoop!!).

5 hours ago, jmswood said:

Star Wars and the X-wing Miniatures Game were made possible in part by a Declaration of Independence in 1776. Happy Independence Day United States. 

That is one of the silliest things I've ever read.  Now I understand the concept of "American Exceptionalism", but really... Get over yourselves.

13 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

That is one of the silliest things I've ever read.  Now I understand the concept of "American Exceptionalism", but really... Get over yourselves.

Well, it's correct. Just like Star Wars was made possible in part by the Industrial Revolution in the UK, the Spartans holding back the Persians at Thermopylae, and the excesses of Louis XIV in Versailles, and of course by us Swiss inventing Fondue. Butterfly effect, yaay!

Also, happy 4th of July ;)

Edited by haslo

14 minutes ago, haslo said:

Well, it's correct. Just like Star Wars was made possible in part by the Industrial Revolution in the UK, the Spartans holding back the Persians at Thermopylae, and the excesses of Louis XIV in Versailles, and of course by us Swiss inventing Fondue. Butterfly effect, yaay!

mmmmmmmm.  Fondue.

16 minutes ago, haslo said:

I almost responded to you as if you were serious... Then my sarcasm/wit detector kicked in.  Well played sir.

4 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

I may be incorrect....it wouldn't be the first time ? 

Other than it's a representative republic not constitutional you are pretty correct. America is not a deomcracy never has been, likely never will be. I do think your reason for the republic gives the founding fathers a bit too much credit. I have always been taught that the common man was too uneducated about political affairs to make any kind of reasonable choice therefore they gave them politicians to basically politics for them. Makes you kinda proud don't it, they thought the general public is too slow to grasp politics, now politics is largely retarded. I wish they could have seen the future they ushered in.

Happy 4th!

Edited by LordFajubi