Budgernaut

Uthuk Infantry Command

10 minutes ago, Mep said:

So, who does Maro like to bring into the undead fold?

Well, not anybody from the Infantry Command expansion. But as far as Uthuk units go, I'd take Spined Threshers. Their ability to hand out panic will go hand-in-hand with the morale modifier found on so many Waiqar dials.

Too bad he can't regenerate Berserkers. That would have been fun to have them go berserk all the time and then keep replacing their trays.

10 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Well, not anybody from the Infantry Command expansion. But as far as Uthuk units go, I'd take Spined Threshers. Their ability to hand out panic will go hand-in-hand with the morale modifier found on so many Waiqar dials.

Too bad he can't regenerate Berserkers. That would have been fun to have them go berserk all the time and then keep replacing their trays.

Berserkers with Necromancer and Lingering Dead, though...

Edited by Tvayumat

15 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Fleshrippers could easily get a card akin to Lingering Dead in their box: i.e. something that is clearly meant for that unit even though its not technically limited to them. Tbh the only standalone box so far i was rather displeased with was spearmen....there was nothing in there...

No love for tempered steel? Raven tabards?

57 minutes ago, Darthain said:

No love for tempered steel? Raven tabards?

This, I had this discussion with @Crabbok the only reason the spearmen box seems meh is because the people that it seems meh to are getting all of the things.  If you are collecting waiqar and daqan you already have tempered steel and raven tabards. If you traded away the Waiqar stuff? well then the spearmen box actually has some pretty nice cards...(cav doing a speed 4 charge at init 7 is scary...and hurty...)

11 minutes ago, jek said:

This, I had this discussion with @Crabbok the only reason the spearmen box seems meh is because the people that it seems meh to are getting all of the things.  If you are collecting waiqar and daqan you already have tempered steel and raven tabards. If you traded away the Waiqar stuff? well then the spearmen box actually has some pretty nice cards...(cav doing a speed 4 charge at init 7 is scary...and hurty...)

6 init with tabards ?.  Tabards are interesting in they can also hurt you (it isn't written as optional, like the penon, and at a glance I found nothing in the rules saying upgrades are optional).  There were turns my entire plan had to change because of them (which makes them interesting).

Edited by Darthain

6 minutes ago, Darthain said:

6 init with tabards ?.  Tabards are interesting in they can also hurt you (it isn't written as optional, like the penon, and at a glance I found nothing in the rules saying upgrades are optional).  There were turns my entire plan had to change because of them (which makes them interesting).

yeah I like that some upgrades are optional and others are just unforgiving at times

Usually the tabard i use on spearmen is the +/- 1 init tabard. Ive had numerous reasons to want to be slower. It also adds another thing my opponent wants to remove, adding complication when deciding between that or another upgrade if he gets an accuracy. Nothing more amusing than popping that tabard on the init3 quickattack when fighting Ardus and he has init so i actually go first and kill him off lol
Cavalry i usually have raven tabards though.

28 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Usually the tabard i use on spearmen is the +/- 1 init tabard. Ive had numerous reasons to want to be slower. It also adds another thing my opponent wants to remove, adding complication when deciding between that or another upgrade if he gets an accuracy. Nothing more amusing than popping that tabard on the init3 quickattack when fighting Ardus and he has init so i actually go first and kill him off lol
Cavalry i usually have raven tabards though.

doesn't change that it is a useful upgrade that, unless you were buying all factions, would not be available outside of this box...my only point was that the spear box is only meh to people who have the waiqar stuff elsewhere...I'm planning on getting all factions which is going to mean that I will be overwhelmed with all the extra neutral upgrades I will have...and as such have started just giving extras away to single faction players...

Yeah, same. I probably wont get all of the boxes for every faction though, once i get 200pts of non-daqans im not buying any more unless i want to swap.
Will admit, the extra tempered steel is useful. Thats my default equipment atm, its cheap and tends to be what makes me wipe a 2nd tray even if i have to ready it later. Currently i really dont like the other upgrades as they are basically limited to specific uses rather than general use. Fire/Wind runes are awesome but way too expensive to just equip randomly lol. If i dont have a way to abuse those runes i wont take them on that unit, too expensive.

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah, same. I probably wont get all of the boxes for every faction though, once i get 200pts of non-daqans im not buying any more unless i want to swap.
Will admit, the extra tempered steel is useful. Thats my default equipment atm, its cheap and tends to be what makes me wipe a 2nd tray even if i have to ready it later. Currently i really dont like the other upgrades as they are basically limited to specific uses rather than general use. Fire/Wind runes are awesome but way too expensive to just equip randomly lol. If i dont have a way to abuse those runes i wont take them on that unit, too expensive.

Steel also has the benefit of not needing specific dice to work well, red dice are just fine with 1 surge.  I want another but won't have it until I elf.  Not buying for upgrades when I plan to have 2 armies

That too.

I cant remember the last time i had 2 surges with my spearmen/oaths. And even if i did i would much rather the inspiration token than 1 extra hit because of the other equipment (name escapes me, 4pts 2 surge adds a hit).

30 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

That too.

I cant remember the last time i had 2 surges with my spearmen/oaths. And even if i did i would much rather the inspiration token than 1 extra hit because of the other equipment (name escapes me, 4pts 2 surge adds a hit).

master crafted weapons...its a really nice thing to throw on carrion lancers with combat ingenuity...

5 hours ago, jek said:

master crafted weapons...its a really nice thing to throw on carrion lancers with combat ingenuity...

That is 10 points compared to the 3 points of Tempered steel. Though you can use it multiple times, you still have to put it on a 2x2 of lancers unless you have ardus then it is a 2x1. 37 points at the cheapest.

3 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

That is 10 points compared to the 3 points of Tempered steel. Though you can use it multiple times, you still have to put it on a 2x2 of lancers unless you have ardus then it is a 2x1. 37 points at the cheapest.

Yah well I mean I'm primarily thinking in terms of Slurm Team Six which 10 points on a 3x2 unit with 18 wounds but can take 48 damage, is pretty scary... 

1 hour ago, TallGiraffe said:

A 3x2 of Carrion Lancers with MCW and CI costs 78 points and is worth every single one of them.

Our last 200 pt tournament went to the only Waiqar player because he was swinging one of these things around into everybody's flanks. Those worms are wily.

On 7/6/2017 at 4:53 PM, Daverman said:

Making a prediction... If they get a unique upgrade, it'll make their "mandatory" move optional. 

Maybe. But I would rather see something that improves upon it. For example, you must still do that mandatory 1-speed march, but the upgrade allows you to do a turn or a straight -- whichever would be more beneficial in that situation. This makes them better without taking away the risk associated with the Flesh Rippers units.

9 hours ago, Back5 said:

Hopefully I can sell my set of double Undead and buy the Demon guys when they are released. Don't want two factions and I like the Demons waaaaaay more than the Undead. 

I would keep enough for a separate army from whatever your main faction is. It comes in handy for getting new players involved. 

13 hours ago, Church14 said:

I would keep enough for a separate army from whatever your main faction is. It comes in handy for getting new players involved. 

My wife won't play the game, so I only need enough to field a squad for myself :)

1 hour ago, Back5 said:

My wife won't play the game, so I only need enough to field a squad for myself :)

Fair, but I find it helpful to have enough for a spare army when at a store. That way, if they are curious, I can offer to walk them through a game. 

34 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Fair, but I find it helpful to have enough for a spare army when at a store. That way, if they are curious, I can offer to walk them through a game. 

I think it depends on your investment in the game. If you want to play Runewars and only Runewars, it's good to have a backup army for those moments you mentioned. If it's just one of many systems you dabble in, then it's probably fine to have your one army for those occasions you do get to play, but you have other things to play if there are no other Runewars players around.