Jump to content
Budgernaut

Uthuk Infantry Command

Recommended Posts

So I wasn't thinking, and just read the article out loud as I often do. The Shriekers' lore had one of my sons covering his mouth in disgust and horror, and my younger son breathlessly whispering, "That's so cool!" Clearly, there is a difference in opinion on these creatures.

As for me, I'm glad I have my tame skeletons and necromancers. I think the Uthuk will be easy to hate as they stare at you accross the table. I'm not usually into such horror gross things, but I do greatly enjoy that this faction is so indisputably evil. It helps them stand far apart from the others. Having the Uthuk go so far into disgusting, twisted rituals also gives some breathing room for the Orcs of the Broken Plains to have a very distinct faction identity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think there always used to be an abstractness to the Uthuk Y'llan. Yeah, they did rituals and killed each other to summon demons, but we never saw the violence of it first-hand. We just got a taste for it in the way the game pieces had a hurt-myself-to-something-to-you kind of style. Now, however, we're seeing the actual violence that the witches do to their own people. And where I once saw a strong tribal nation that stood with their heads raised high and reveled in the superiority of their blood taint, I now see a people who are victims of circumstances beyond their control. There is no longer reason to celebrate the Grotesque, for example, because he's not an augmented man anymore -- now he's a monster. And I didn't choose this faction for it's monster-men. It's not just a "that's gross" reaction, but the fact that this was going to be my chance to see the faction I had played for years come to life on the tabletop miniatures field. But instead, they're different. It's not the faction I've played for years. 

But you can all laugh at me in a few months when I've come to terms with all of this and have bought Uthuk Y'llan figures anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Well, I think there always used to be an abstractness to the Uthuk Y'llan. Yeah, they did rituals and killed each other to summon demons, but we never saw the violence of it first-hand. We just got a taste for it in the way the game pieces had a hurt-myself-to-something-to-you kind of style. Now, however, we're seeing the actual violence that the witches do to their own people. And where I once saw a strong tribal nation that stood with their heads raised high and reveled in the superiority of their blood taint, I now see a people who are victims of circumstances beyond their control. There is no longer reason to celebrate the Grotesque, for example, because he's not an augmented man anymore -- now he's a monster. And I didn't choose this faction for it's monster-men. It's not just a "that's gross" reaction, but the fact that this was going to be my chance to see the faction I had played for years come to life on the tabletop miniatures field. But instead, they're different. It's not the faction I've played for years. 

But you can all laugh at me in a few months when I've come to terms with all of this and have bought Uthuk Y'llan figures anyway.

Ever since Disk Wars the Uthuk were evil and maniacal. They ended up becoming one of my armies because no one else wanted to play them (same with the knights)

 

But the thing I liked about them was they didn't seem to serve demons. Sure they ultimately fullfilled the purpose of the Ynfernael by visiting destruction on the world but they did it for themselves.

 

Demons were just another resource to them. I mean, they hunted and ATE demons. Willingly they brought the taint inside and harnessed it to surpass their humanity.

 

It was a good twist on the typical subservient demon cult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Well, I think there always used to be an abstractness to the Uthuk Y'llan. Yeah, they did rituals and killed each other to summon demons, but we never saw the violence of it first-hand. We just got a taste for it in the way the game pieces had a hurt-myself-to-something-to-you kind of style. Now, however, we're seeing the actual violence that the witches do to their own people. And where I once saw a strong tribal nation that stood with their heads raised high and reveled in the superiority of their blood taint, I now see a people who are victims of circumstances beyond their control. There is no longer reason to celebrate the Grotesque, for example, because he's not an augmented man anymore -- now he's a monster. And I didn't choose this faction for it's monster-men. It's not just a "that's gross" reaction, but the fact that this was going to be my chance to see the faction I had played for years come to life on the tabletop miniatures field. But instead, they're different. It's not the faction I've played for years. 

But you can all laugh at me in a few months when I've come to terms with all of this and have bought Uthuk Y'llan figures anyway.

The Grotesque, at least, seems to be a volunteer augmentation. So yeah, it's an augmented man; it's just one that sacrifices its soul and at least some degree of its higher thought and free will to do so. So, yes, he's a monster -- but he's the monster he was eager to become. Similarly, the Warsprinter seems to have a place of honor and regard among the tribe, even if the last sentence of the description implies punishment for failure.

 

Meanwhile, the witches come out of the whole bargain with this awesome flavor. Part aloof puppetmaster, part 40k ruthless Commissar, ALL cruel ambition... I can't wait to see a full-on blood witch heroine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kaffis I agree that the grotesque's disfuguration is voluntary, but the first version looks like an actual enhancement where the cost is his soul, as you mentioned. The new one looks like he has as much physical disability as added capability. He also looks like he's in pain. It doesn't look like he got the bargain he wanted. He doesn't look like a fierce warrior to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French article is up so combining with the British info. we now have:

Fortuna's Dice

Bloodfire Witch

Psychosis Siren

Soothsayer of Blood (Unique, Def2/Wnd1)

Grotesque Slasher

Simultaneous Orders

Heraldic Surcoats

Warsprinter

Aggressive Shrieker

Rallying Shrieker

Tactical Shrieker

 

2 Uthuk Champions (one will probably be an artifact bearer)

2 Uthuk Banners (one Def3/Wnd1, one Def2/Wnd1)

Neutral Champion (Probably File Leader)

Neutral Equipment

Neutral Heraldry

 

Capture.png

 

Edited by stet2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like most of them, although I have to say for me it feels the difference between artwork and model seems to be bigger with th Uthuk, I know artwork is always different and often more detailed then the miniature but it seems stronger here for me, if you look at the wepon of the Shrieker it looks much better in the artwork than what the Shrieker ist actually carrying same goes for the weapons of the berserkers from the Uthuk amry expansion. But I have to say that the Grotesque looks better than the artwork with that miniscule head and arm, still the Grotesque is the miniature I dislike, for me the arm is to big.

The Witch I like most, although the pose in the artwork is better, next is the Warsprinter and then the Shrieker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

i think the giant arm is just comical looking. I saw it and went "LOL ok thats cool" but thats not usually the vibe you should get from a daemon army....
Orcs yes, daemons no.

 

That sounds like you're basing it on Warhammer. Just because Warhammer did Orcs are funny, Demons are scary, doesn't mean everyone else has to follow suit :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40k isnt the only source that made orcs funny, theyre just the most obvious about it.
In fact the only one i can think of where they arent funny is Lord of the Rings. Every other iteration of them ive seen theyve either been blatantly goofy or just have a comical undertone in the way they do things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2017 at 7:58 AM, stet2 said:

French article is up so combining with the British info. we now have:

Fortuna's Dice

Bloodfire Witch

Psychosis Siren

Soothsayer of Blood (Unique, Def2/Wnd1)

Grotesque Slasher

Simultaneous Orders

Heraldic Surcoats

Warsprinter

Aggressive Shrieker

Rallying Shrieker

Tactical Shrieker

 

2 Uthuk Champions (one will probably be an artifact bearer)

2 Uthuk Banners (one Def3/Wnd1, one Def2/Wnd1)

Neutral Champion (Probably File Leader)

Neutral Equipment

Neutral Heraldry

 

Capture.png

 

To kind of summarize:

18 cards

3 Witch Cards (Psychosis Syren, Unrevealed, Unrevealed)

3 Shriekers (Aggresive Shrieker, probably Marching and Rallying Shrieker?)

3 Warsprinters (Warsprinter, Some Text, Some Text)

3 Grotesques (Grotesque Slasher, Unrevealed, Unrevealed)

6 generic Upgrades (Fortuna's Dice, Simultaneous Orders, Heraldric Surcoats, Unrevealed Champion, Unrevealed Equipment, Unrevealed Heraldry)

 

Can anyone who reads French translate some of that pic?

Edited by Church14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Church14 said:

To kind of summarize:

18 cards

3 Witch Cards (Psychosis Syren, Unrevealed, Unrevealed)

3 Shriekers (Aggresive Shrieker, probably Marching and Rallying Shrieker?)

3 Warsprinters (Warsprinter, Some Text, Some Text)

3 Grotesques (Grotesque Slasher, Unrevealed, Unrevealed)

6 generic Upgrades (Fortuna's Dice, Simultaneous Orders, Heraldric Surcoats, Unrevealed Champion, Unrevealed Equipment, Unrevealed Heraldry)

 

Can anyone who reads French translate some of that pic?

Actually it's 3 Witches and 1 Grotesque so far with 2 unrevealed Uthuk Champions. From the British Preview we got the text from a second of the witch cards and from the French just the name and Def/Wnds of the third.

Of the 3 shriekers, the Aggressive was spoiled, the French picture above shows the Rallying Shrieker and from the British preview you could make out the Tactical Shrieker. This seems to indicate that the Uthuk won't get access to the Marching version.

I can translate French roughly which is how I know that the second Music upgrade shown above is rallying shrieker. Can't quite make out the wording on the 2 Heraldry Upgrades though.

Edited by stet2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

I imagine the third music figure upgrade is unique to the armies. Waiqar do not have rallying cornicen, but they have the other two.

We know what all three music are: Aggressive, Tactical and Rallying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, stet2 said:

We know what all three music are: Aggressive, Tactical and Rallying.

Yeah. I expected Rallying and Tactical musicians to be unique to their faction, but it looks like that image shows Rallying Shrieker.

"Hurleur Rallie...[r]
[skill] Chaque autre alli...
[something] 1-3 [something]...
[something] de [something] 1 [something]...
[something] 1 carte [something]"

which says

"Rallying Howler [Shrieker, in our case]
[skill] Each other ally...
[something] 1-3 [something] ...
[something] of [something] 1 [something]...
[something] 1 card [something]"

and looks just like

"Rallying Cornicen
[skill] Each other ally at range 1-3 may choose to either remove 1 bane or ready 1 upgrade card."

So now I wonder if the elves will get a Tactical Starling. Unfortunately, we can't check that because the French site put up an image of the Latari Elves Army Expansion on the page for the Latari Elves Infantry Command Unit Upgrade Expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting...

so maybe theres only 4 different music upgrades and each army is getting a combination of 3. Thats...kinda lame.
Elves might not have the Aggressive one then since .. yaknow .. archers lol.

Kinda funny we know more about Uthuk command than the latari. Latari command is much closer to release and only a single sorc was spoiled :P

edit: Atleast the champions arent similar so far, which are easily the most important slot. Relic bearer seems to be the only one thats across factions so far.

Edited by Vineheart01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

interesting...

so maybe theres only 4 different music upgrades and each army is getting a combination of 3. Thats...kinda lame.
Elves might not have the Aggressive one then since .. yaknow .. archers lol.

Kinda funny we know more about Uthuk command than the latari. Latari command is much closer to release and only a single sorc was spoiled :P

Great minds think alike, I was just drafting this up to post:

Daqan has: Aggressive, Marching and Rallying Cornicen

Waiqar has: Aggressive, Marching and Tactical Drummer

Uthuk has: Aggressive, Rallying and Tactical Shrieker

I'm thinking Latari will have: Marching, Rallying and Tactical Musicians

 

Agree it's weird about the Latari Command all we know about it is as follows:

Verdant Sorceress

Storm Sorceress

4 other Latari Champions (at least one is probably an Artifact Bearer)

2 Neutral Champions

3 Latari Musicians (see speculation above)

3 Latari Standards

2 Neutral Standards

1 Neutral Artifact (Almost certainly Fortuna's Dice)

1 Neutral Training

Edited by stet2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well so far they still need to do previews of the 2nd uthuk hero, the various generic unit expansions and then at some point we need word on the 'new unit' expansion for Elves and Uthuk.   So Darnati and Viper Legions.  

Really the only one of those previews I'm not looking forward too is the generic unit previews and expansions announcements for uthuk.  It'll be 'yaaaay flesh rippers are still coming.... oooooo look it's a file leader!'  Bleh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fleshrippers could easily get a card akin to Lingering Dead in their box: i.e. something that is clearly meant for that unit even though its not technically limited to them. Tbh the only standalone box so far i was rather displeased with was spearmen....there was nothing in there...

As for unannounced stuff: Uthuk 2nd hero, Uthuk archers, and Latari melee infantry. Still plenty of stuff to spoil though (the standalones for models in the uthuk box are a given even if theyre not announced yet technically)
After those 3 are announced, we've come full circle. All 4 factions will have a melee/ranged infantry, cavalry, siege, 2 heroes, and command box. From then on who knows what they'll do for releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Fleshrippers could easily get a card akin to Lingering Dead in their box: i.e. something that is clearly meant for that unit even though its not technically limited to them. 

The Flesh Rippers have a Unique upgrade option on their costing table. If the Uthuk Y'llan Army Expansion does not come with a Unique for them (and I think it probably won't), we can expect the Flesh Rippers Unit Expansion to include their Unique upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...