LazorBeems

Quad Battery Turrets spoiler

1 hour ago, Warlord Zepnick said:

A VSD traveling at speed 2 can utilize this upgrade to attack a flotilla traveling at speed 1. Just look at the plain language at the card lol.

I had three guesses for a person who might come with some strange rule and wibbly wobbly like stuff for this card.
Congrats, you won :D.

Seriously, you can come up with a lot of rule discussions and interpretations. But this one is really clear. And Dras already said it way better.
If you are using, for example, Konstantine on an enemy, you are not changing the ship card with an marker, and add or remove some speed Infos. You are changing the speed! The Speed dial. And nothing else. I really cannot see how someone could understand speed with speed chart on the card... Not after this many cards that refer to speed already.

3 minutes ago, Tokra said:

I had three guesses for a person who might come with some strange rule and wibbly wobbly like stuff for this card.
Congrats, you won :D.

Seriously, you can come up with a lot of rule discussions and interpretations. But this one is really clear. And Dras already said it way better.
If you are using, for example, Konstantine on an enemy, you are not changing the ship card with an marker, and add or remove some speed Infos. You are changing the speed! The Speed dial. And nothing else. I really cannot see how someone could understand speed with speed chart on the card... Not after this many cards that refer to speed already.

Your contrarian is always here for you Tokra, et al.

:D

I'm just not impressed. 

The number of restrictions feels like it's basically only useful on one or two ships.  Worse still, I find it troubling to see a card that seems dependent on other players actively playing to the card strengths. 

I see only one effective build for this that doesn't require Leading Shots,  and that's the VSD2/QBTs/DCs/SW7 big salvo. 

Edited by thecactusman17

12 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

I'm just not impressed. 

The number of restrictions feels like it's basically only useful on one or two ships.  Worse still, I find it troubling to see a card that seems dependent on other players actively playing to the card strengths. 

I see only one effective build for this that doesn't require Leading Shots,  and that's the VSD2/QBTs/DCs/SW7 big salvo. 

I mean I guess I could run a Vic-II with Overload Pulse, QBTs, and Screed with an Avenger follow up. But with Sloane, what's the point of spending all of those points to do that?

54 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

At least Shooting is before Maneuver, so you'll have to still be planning to be slowing down the turn before...  Its not straight cut/dry :)

Yea... always thinking of crazy **** before applying the rules to the idea. Still super excited though.

Just now, Undeadguy said:

Yea... always thinking of crazy **** before applying the rules to the idea. Still super excited though.

I mean, its the level of forethought you should be applying with a victory, anyway - since odds are, they're going ot be outpacing you - you've got to judge and plan that maneuver and turn to catch where they could be...  Comes iwth the territory of running a Victory.

The payoff is now better for it.

26 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

Well, you're just nuts.  Also, overthinking things.

I mean, seriously, just slap this on a VSD-I and be done with it.  A 78-pt ship with that arrangement of defense tokens, number of shields, and hull - with a 3-red, 1-blue, 3-black forward attack if someone is silly enough to close range?  YES, PLEASE!  It also gives the VSD-I the *exact* same medium-and-long-range firepower on its side arcs (and better in the rear) that the VSD-II has (and throw in an extra black at close range, because why not?) for 10% less cost.

A single blue dice on a ship already throwing a lot of red, and with a lot of black to discourage 'close encounters', does perfectly fine - and it's a "cheap" upgrade, which keeps nicely with the VSD-I theme of just being "cheap" overall for such a heavy hitter.

1 hour ago, thecactusman17 said:

I'm just not impressed. 

you should not underestimate the psychological effect of restrictions on cards like these. It can change the dynamic of an engagement in the right circumstances. A VSD throwing three red and two blue dice at long range if it concentrate fire can be a deterrent in many ways. All for just five points. There are many ships that can benefit from this upgrade.

1 hour ago, Ginkapo said:

Ah a card that goes well on Salvation,

Thwarted in my list building in the usual way....

Salvation and Ackbar just dont mesh very well. 

I have built that list, and it didnt go well.

Didnt help that I rolled three damage over 15 dice. (Not including the two blank DTT shots)

2 hours ago, xanderf said:

Well, you're just nuts.  Also, overthinking things.

I mean, seriously, just slap this on a VSD-I and be done with it.  A 78-pt ship with that arrangement of defense tokens, number of shields, and hull - with a 3-red, 1-blue, 3-black forward attack if someone is silly enough to close range?  YES, PLEASE!  It also gives the VSD-I the *exact* same medium-and-long-range firepower on its side arcs (and better in the rear) that the VSD-II has (and throw in an extra black at close range, because why not?) for 10% less cost.

A single blue dice on a ship already throwing a lot of red, and with a lot of black to discourage 'close encounters', does perfectly fine - and it's a "cheap" upgrade, which keeps nicely with the VSD-I theme of just being "cheap" overall for such a heavy hitter.

Add to this a set of external racks for only 81 points and the front arc is devastating up close. Any fast MC30, Raider or Demolisher trying to avoid that arc and hit your sides can be punished with 6-7 dice flank shot when they try to line up their APTs.