Sign in to follow this  
Chimpy

About to start Khazad-dum and Dwarrowdelf - solo reasonable?

Now that restocks have arrived, I'm about to start playing Khazad-dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle. I've previously played the core and SoM. I usually play just by myself and with one deck, I wondered if any of the quests in the 2nd cycle were too much of a ballache solo, and if I should just make up a two decks and play two-handed?

I also prefer to keep the same heroes for the entire cycle if possible - is this reasonable for the Dwarrowdelf cycle?

Knowing the playercards of These sets I don't know why you wouldn't like to change your line-up; but most should be beatable by the same guys. 

Personally I found the quests perfectly fine for solo play. 

Only the very Last quest (Shadow and Flame) can be very hard if you don't know what's coming or bring the wrong deck. There are some ways to trivialise the quest, if you just Want to Beat it, one especially will jump in your face while playing through the cycle. 

The quest before (foundations of stone) is simply more fun for multiple players, but still great for solo players as It is an awesome quest in general. 

So fear not: these sets are great, solo or not :)

The only reason you wouldn't be able to keep the same heroes throughout is if you use Arwen. She's an Objective Ally for two of the quests.

I was playing through the Khazad Dum quests this weekend and they can be quite punishing solo. Pitfalls that can instantly kill off a hero, surging hordes of enemies that strike harder when undefended, a single mounting unique threat, these are things that beat a solo player faster than a group when they arise. But they're not any harder than Dol Guldur, or quests in the Mirkwood cycle (when you go in blind and didn't know the correct gimmick). 

I gave up on trying to play two handed a while ago. Too much to keep track of. I make enough mistakes as it is (at the end of every combat phase do this, at the end of staging do that...)

If you want a deck to play all those quests, you can use a deck made which was arguably one the best decks out there back in the day using that cardpool.  Its called Flight to Ford.  Uses Spirit Glorfindel, Lore Aragorn, and Frodo.  Some staples include light of valinor, asfoloth, test of will, fast hitch, a couple haldirs, ect.  if you want the full decklist just ask!  Such a fun deck, and incredibly powerful.  It was my most played deck back in the day.  Shout out to Richsabre I believe for making it popular.  That deck should be able to plow through just about all those quests - it is indeed nice to not have to build a new deck every quest.

Best Wishes!