Sign in to follow this  
Gargoyle

Playing on a Smaller Table

My preparations are finally done and I'm just about ready for a first test game with a friend. One challenge we have is the place to play. The rulebook suggests a playing area of 6'x3', but my dinner table is only 4'x3'. I've been considering various options for adding a temporary extension for the game, but I was wondering how badly the gameplay would be affected by the smaller play area? Would using smaller armies (120 or 150 points?) alleviate them?

In games we've played at 200 points, barely more than 4' width was used in several of them. You could possibly get away with 4' by 3' with some adjustment to some scenarios.

That said, the overlay method Jukey mentioned is an option. Most larger stores may even cut one to size for you.

2 pieces of thick cardboard 3' X 3' duct taped together wrapped in a fleece blanket 66" X 48".  10$ for the blanket.

i taped the blanket on the back side.  When not in use stored behind a door so cats don't use it as a scratching post.

2 hours ago, BrewUp said:

In games we've played at 200 points, barely more than 4' width was used in several of them. You could possibly get away with 4' by 3' with some adjustment to some scenarios.

That said, the overlay method Jukey mentioned is an option. Most larger stores may even cut one to size for you.

In that size game, the width isn't to fill with models, it's there for maneuvering and to give the players options.

At my local craft store (not gaming store) they sell terrain grass on large paper rolls. I spray glue and stapled that to plywood for an awesome looking table. I have two 4x2ft sections that I can create 4x4. For RuneWars, it is nice having the extra 6 inches for cards. I'm about to make a third one so I can do full game.

We use 4x8 pink foam boards (2 inches thick) for a lot of the wargaming we do at my store. Much lighter than wood and surprisingly durable, you just need to lay a mat or two out. For 6x3, it's nice to have the half-foot on each long edge to put dials and unit/upgrade cards, as well as the foot on each short side for token, templates, etc.

On 7/4/2017 at 10:03 PM, Daverman said:

Our dining room table is almost large enough, but is oval shaped so the corners of the play area get cut off.  I picked up a sheet of this for $14:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/72-in-x-36-in-x-5-32-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364

It's 3x6, lightweight but sturdy enough on the table to support the whole play area.

How has this worked for you?  It seemed slightly too bendy to me but I admit I haven't tried it