piznit

Viktor Hel pilot ability

What's the general consensus or possibly the rule I'm not seeing about rerolls and his ability.  I understand something like a stealth device that adds a third die will trigger it, but what about rolling 2 greens, then rerolling one with something like Lone Wolf?  Is it still just two dice, and therefore no trigger, or is it something other than "exactly" two dice so the attacker would get a stress?

27 minutes ago, tortugatron said:

Expose is never the answer. 

Unless the question is, "What upgrade card provides you with an action that is mathematically worse than a Focus, costs way too much, and probably isn't worth using even on the obvious ship that can ignore its drawback?"

The very basic Expose mechanic is good, but it comes from a point in the games design history where actions were undervalued, and red dice overvalued. Bringing in the ability to swap red dice for green dice would mimic the way you can move energy around in space sim games like X Wing.

If I were implementing that mechanic, I'd make it a mod called "Energy Transfer System", probably only a couple of points. As an action, you are assigned a token with two sides - on one side, you get +1 primary attack and -1 agility, but on the opposite side, you get +1 agility dice and -1 primary attack dice. Alternately, the action can flip the token, and it can be removed for free in the end phase, if you chose to do so. Otherwise it's effectively a passive change.

Shame though - with Expose in the game, odds are a mechanic like that won't be implemented, because it would be strictly better than Expose.

1 hour ago, MacchuWA said:

The very basic Expose mechanic is good, but it comes from a point in the games design history where actions were undervalued, and red dice overvalued. Bringing in the ability to swap red dice for green dice would mimic the way you can move energy around in space sim games like X Wing.

If I were implementing that mechanic, I'd make it a mod called "Energy Transfer System", probably only a couple of points. As an action, you are assigned a token with two sides - on one side, you get +1 primary attack and -1 agility, but on the opposite side, you get +1 agility dice and -1 primary attack dice. Alternately, the action can flip the token, and it can be removed for free in the end phase, if you chose to do so. Otherwise it's effectively a passive change.

Shame though - with Expose in the game, odds are a mechanic like that won't be implemented, because it would be strictly better than Expose.

I've been suggesting a mod like that for about a year and a half.  Or a pilot ability.  Or a ship ability.

14 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

I actually quite like Viktor Hel's ability. It is what scum pilot abilities should look like. It screws with your head, and it is situational. Pretty smart. 

Competitive gaming is all about reliability and certainty. If all Scum pilots had situational abilities, then probably few/none of them would be competitive.

Anyway I'm not sure that on Viktor (and only on him) Expose will not value 4 points. It adds punch and a stress mechanics at the cost of -1 agi.

I should try him. 

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I've been suggesting a mod like that for about a year and a half.  Or a pilot ability.  Or a ship ability.

That would be a great title. I'm not sure it needs to be an action. Maybe just a choice, after performing a manouvre. Since red dice are much more useful than green, I can se it doing + 1 red /- 1 green or - 1 red/ + 2 green. I'd put this on a 3 attack and 2 agility ship with limited health, like 3 hull 2 shields. The ship should be fast with some form of repositioning (probably BR, 4 agi+autos might be a bit much), so it can use hit-and-run tactics. Since you're either flying a ship with a 4-1-3-2 or a 2-4-3-2 statline, you really have incentive to flip the title a lot during the match. 

5 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

Unless you're somebody that, you know, wants to play Scum.

Or you're FFG, who wants to sell Scum ships too (that's why they're making them after all).

Actually I will like more tricky-triggering effects for Scum than costant selfish help as Mindlink e co. 

And I play scum only. I start that faction for the illicits and the idea of them. Not because I can have free focus everywhere. 

6 hours ago, MacchuWA said:

FFG has done do overs before. They were probably pretty bummed that Cobra was so bad so they tweaked it and called it Fenn

30 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Actually I will like more tricky-triggering effects for Scum than costant selfish help as Mindlink e co. 

And I play scum only. I start that faction for the illicits and the idea of them. Not because I can have free focus everywhere. 

I'm largely a Scum player as well, and got into Scum for the fluff (I like Mandalorians and the idea of flying the bounty hunters).

As such, I'll gladly take any mechanics that make the ships I like to fly good. Being the weakest faction (Scum before Wave 8) got old rather quickly for me.

If Expose were simply +1 Attack and -1 Agility with no Action: requirement, it might be playable on a couple ships.  Even then it might should cost 3 points.

As is, it's fun with shenanigans on RAC, and that's about it.

9 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

I'm largely a Scum player as well, and got into Scum for the fluff (I like Mandalorians and the idea of flying the bounty hunters).

As such, I'll gladly take any mechanics that make the ships I like to fly good. Being the weakest faction (Scum before Wave 8) got old rather quickly for me.

There's a difference between fly with skill and Attanni Mindlink

2 minutes ago, Cerve said:

There's a difference between fly with skill and Attanni Mindlink

Just like there is a difference between fly with skill and:

-Sabine+Adv'Slam+Bombs

-Palp Aces

-pre-nerf X7 defenders

- Rebel Regen

-Fat PWTs

-Pre-nerf Whisper

Right?

Claiming that Attani Mindlink is a no skill upgrade is bull IMO. If that were the case, it wouldn't still be the same guys winning and making cyts over and over.

22 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Incidentally, ml is what you need for viktor

Expose is a complete waste and we really only have stealth device to enable him, but that will fall off in the very first exchange without gobs of focus + thrusters

Stealth Device/Scavenger Crane yeah

21 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Incidentally, ml is what you need for viktor

Expose is a complete waste and we really only have stealth device to enable him, but that will fall off in the very first exchange without gobs of focus + thrusters

Cloaking device, too. It won't last long, but having a ship so singularly unappealing to shoot at has value in and of itself, sometimes.

Still, it's those two or you depend on range 3 and rocks. Not impossible, but not reliable either.

38 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

Just like there is a difference between fly with skill and:

-Sabine+Adv'Slam+Bombs

-Palp Aces

-pre-nerf X7 defenders

- Rebel Regen

-Fat PWTs

-Pre-nerf Whisper

Right?

Claiming that Attani Mindlink is a no skill upgrade is bull IMO. If that were the case, it wouldn't still be the same guys winning and making cyts over and over.

There was nothing like as AM before in my opinion. I hate the combination of AM with Jumpmasters and Shadowcasters. 

I hope there will be never nothing else like that.

58 minutes ago, Cerve said:

There was nothing like as AM before in my opinion. I hate the combination of AM with Jumpmasters and Shadowcasters. 

I hope there will be never nothing else like that.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion :) Personally I feel quite a few things on that list were worse than Attani.

I can however assure you there WILL be more stuff like that in the future. The guys at FFG are doing their best, but are humans working on a deadline. Mistakes have happened, and will happen again sooner or later.