Sign in to follow this  
KelRiever

U-Wing characters?

9 hours ago, KelRiever said:

Heff Tobber and no Laren Joma who was in the film.  I can only agree with the development prior to movie release.  Still...the result is silly to me.

Between the U-wing, and TFA, I'm afraid this is the future of the game that you just gotta get used to. The first sets of waves had buckets of lore to delve through, but anything to do with upcoming movies is going to be pretty much a crapshoot, thematics-wise.

On 7/1/2017 at 10:16 PM, migs6000 said:

This 100%. Exactly why they re-released Poe as Ps9. K2 pilots that ship for almost the entire movie, he even flys through a death star shot, and he's nowhere to be seen in the expansion. FFG QA dept. needs to get it's **** together.

Actually, the entire post you quoted explains why FFG's QA dept. can't do anything about K2 not being an U-Wing pilot...

Yeah no door gunner?  That screams about the lack of data.  I have no doubt FFG would have done a door gunner upgrade if they'd had a heads up.

And then they don't want to do card packs :P

6 hours ago, KelRiever said:

Yeah no door gunner?  That screams about the lack of data.  I have no doubt FFG would have done a door gunner upgrade if they'd had a heads up.

And then they don't want to do card packs :P

My main hope for "stuff that really should exist" is a Correlian Conflict equivalent box - it wouldn't be hard for it to include a shedload of extra pilot cards and bases, but it could come bundled with......"stuff" that makes it a product by itself (my brain says missions and a few new obstacle types, like nebulas, docking platforms, etc), not just a pack of upgrade cards.

6 hours ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

I don't know how you fire out of the door gunner position in space. I don't recall seeing anything about the craft utilizing a "shield wall" like in capital ships to prevent everything being sucked out. Though it would be pretty cool if they did have it.

THis is a universe in which pilots literally have personal force fields to protect them if they eject, I'm sure a door gunner IN SPAAAACE could be happily handwaved.

12 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

My main hope for "stuff that really should exist" is a Correlian Conflict equivalent box - it wouldn't be hard for it to include a shedload of extra pilot cards and bases, but it could come bundled with......"stuff" that makes it a product by itself (my brain says missions and a few new obstacle types, like nebulas, docking platforms, etc), not just a pack of upgrade cards.

I'm really hoping for a Rogue One campaign box to be announced soon too.  THere's just too much that was in R1 that's not in the game yet.

But then, we're talking about a game that still doesn't have Obi Wan crew...

8 hours ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

I don't know how you fire out of the door gunner position in space. I don't recall seeing anything about the craft utilizing a "shield wall" like in capital ships to prevent everything being sucked out. Though it would be pretty cool if they did have it.

Yeah, the door gunner capability of the U-Wing seems more like an air to ground support for ground troops, not something to be utilized in space combat.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Since people like to buy upgrade cards with the $80 ship packs, it might be a bit redundant unless they got creative, but a hammerhead corvette is to scale for FFG isn't it?

Too many large ships for the rebels from a game standpoint but I'm sure people would buy it even if it sits on a shelf forever just to have a bunch of cards circa Rogue One.  And maybe a toss in from Rebels since FFG is so fond of it.

And then a side door gunner.  Because why not in space?  Force fields.  Force fields are everywhere in Star Wars.  Everywhere.

I could very much see them doing a Hammerhead Corvette, but unless it packed with a U Wing in the pack (which would be unprecedented for a huge ship to have a large ship in with it) it probably wouldn't have a K2-SO pilot.  Unless they took a different (mostly, Most Wanted is the exception) unprecedented move of including a pilot card and base token for a ship that's not even in the box.

On 7/2/2017 at 11:13 AM, Reiver said:

Between the U-wing, and TFA, I'm afraid this is the future of the game that you just gotta get used to. The first sets of waves had buckets of lore to delve through, but anything to do with upcoming movies is going to be pretty much a crapshoot, thematics-wise.

Very well put.  The first waves of content were drawn from thirty years worth of movies, books, comics, and games.  Now, stuff from Rebels and the new movies are likely designed with whatever pre-production info LFL gives to FFG.

K2SO's absence is one point, but perhaps even more thematically egregious is that the TIE Striker is a 2-seater bomber specialized for atmospheric surface bombing runs, according to official cross-sections, yet in X-Wing we got a single-seater superiority fighter.  This makes its elongated hull make a lot more sense, since there are bomb racks and a second person sitting back there. Maybe FFG can one-day fix this with yet another 'ace pack' to create a niche for a pre-maneuver repositioning bomber (that actually would fill an interesting spot), but the chassis of a superiority dog-fighter will always remain.

635c291196becb74c12ac4cb1d0da0d4.jpg

12 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Maybe FFG can one-day fix this with yet another 'ace pack' to create a niche for a pre-maneuver repositioning bomber (that actually would fill an interesting spot), but the chassis of a superiority dog-fighter will always remain.

If they added a bomb slot and a crew slot, it would be interesting. While the crew slot would undoubtedly be used for different purposes by players, if you used Bombadier, being able to waggle your tail before dropping a reveal bomb with up to 2 range could be cool. Maybe instead of having a crew slot, have the card add a bomb slot and the bombadier ability itself.

Edit: As an aside, I've always been bummed that Punishers could not use Bombadier since they have an option of doing a pre-Manuever reveal Adv Sensored Boost to reposition. Deathrain would be hilarious with it, too.

Edited by kris40k

Heroes of Scarif.

Blue Squadron, Red Squadron & Gold Squadron pilots:

X-Wing Pilots - Antoc Merrick, Jaldine Gerams, Barion Raner, Nozzo Naytaan, Zal Dinnes

Y-Wing Pilots - Paril Ritta, Evaan VerlaineWona Goban, Tiree, Davish Krail

U-Wing Pilots - Laren Joma, Calum Gram, K-2SO

Edited by FTS Gecko

13 minutes ago, KelRiever said:

Add Wona Goban, Gold 9 if you're looking for all the names.

Cheers, added (replaced) along with Evaan Verlaine.  I'm not sure if Pops and Tiree were actually at Scarif, either.

Also, looks like @Agrivar did a complete list here:

Edited by FTS Gecko

16 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I could very much see them doing a Hammerhead Corvette, but unless it packed with a U Wing in the pack (which would be unprecedented for a huge ship to have a large ship in with it) it probably wouldn't have a K2-SO pilot.  Unless they took a different (mostly, Most Wanted is the exception) unprecedented move of including a pilot card and base token for a ship that's not even in the box.

Could still have a K2-SO crew card, though.

Agreed. A big "battle of scarif" expansion box could have several scenarios representing individual bits of the battle (punching through the shield gate, the orbital dogfight, fending off Vader's boarding party, etc) along with new obstacles (orbital infrastructure, bits of falling star destroyer, ground attack targets (AT-CT tokens?).

Plus a few things to 'tweak' civil war era ships:

• Blue Squadron (Merrick and co) and missing Red Squadron T-65s
  • K2-SO Crew/Pilot cards for U-wings, Door Gunner modification
  • Alternate title/modification for the TIE striker to produce the 'heavy' version with crew and bombs
  • Y-wing pilots - aiming for 'torpedo bomber' aces, as that's something the rebels don't really have (you've got decent missile boats and bomb droppers in the K-wing and Scurrg, but you rarely see the Y-wing with Torps rather than turrets).
  • TIE fighters - something to make the non black squadron swarmers extra swarmy (see the "that's a lot of TIE fighters" launch scene)

16 hours ago, kris40k said:

If they added a bomb slot and a crew slot, it would be interesting. While the crew slot would undoubtedly be used for different purposes by players, if you used Bombadier, being able to waggle your tail before dropping a reveal bomb with up to 2 range could be cool. Maybe instead of having a crew slot, have the card add a bomb slot and the bombadier ability itself.

Edit: As an aside, I've always been bummed that Punishers could not use Bombadier since they have an option of doing a pre-Manuever reveal Adv Sensored Boost to reposition. Deathrain would be hilarious with it, too.

I'd theorise that they'd release an alternate title that would give it the bomb and crew slot instead of the ailerons, personally.  My most likely scenario for that is that they release the TIE Reaper, and it comes with one crew, and a title that's TIE Reaper or TIE Striker only that adds the second crew and a bomb slot.  I doubt they'd give both things out.

If you want a pre-dial-movement bomber, you'll just have to stick with Deathrain.  With Bomblet Generator, Advanced Sensors and LWF he might almost be worthwhile...

I think the best fix for the missing Bombs from the Striker is a Striker-only modification. The Ailerons should still be available with a bomb loadout, however it's easy to argue that a load of bombs justifies not having Lightweight Frame.

Bombing Configuration - TIE Striker Only - modification - 1 point - "Your upgrade bar gains the (bomb) upgrade icon. During the End Phase, you may  discard this card to flip one of your discarded (bomb) upgrade cards face up."

Edited by jmswood

Because Cassian was rated in and proficient in flying the U wing.  Bodhi was not.  You can't take an F18 pilot and stick him in a 747 and expect him to land it better than the airline pilot that has been flying it for the last 20 years...

2 minutes ago, swimmingordy said:

Because Cassian was rated in and proficient in flying the U wing.  Bodhi was not.  You can't take an F18 pilot and stick him in a 747 and expect him to land it better than the airline pilot that has been flying it for the last 20 years...

Actually, in the game and lore, you pretty much can fly anything if you are a pilot, not just the ships you regularly fly with.

I don't believe Bodhi ever even flies the U Wing in the movie, so has exactly 0 experience with the ship, while Cassian has been flying the U Wing for years.  K2 flies the U Wing the most, but unfortunately was left out.