Crabbok

Would you play Armada if it wasn't Star Wars?

The Star Wars theme (and ships being painted) is what drew me into the game. Lacking either of those, I wouldn't have even looked at it. This is the first actual tabletop wargame I've played, and I like the mechanics enough that I would try other things. But anything that I would have to paint is going to be a hard pass, I just have no interest/desire to do that. 

I enjoy sci-fi starship combat, so that was a natural draw.

I've been burned in the past by Star Wars titled games that were simply bad which is why I didn't get into Armada when it first came out.

If it weren't for the Star Wars theme, I doubt I'd have opted to swallow the high price of the core set.  I find it easier to justify a higher cost of getting into a game if it is based on an established setting vs games that really have no other background or establishing fluff outside of the game itself.

Edited by Dameon13

I was keen on the game when I heard of the mechanics, I've always been into space fleet Battle games (and naval ones to a lesser extent) more so when fighters and bombers are involved.  The star wars skin made it a no brainer for me but I probably would of taken a little longer to buy in due to funds

2 hours ago, Democratus said:

If it was just a Space Game (TM) I probably wouldn't be interested. But if it had some other IP I loved, then I'm sure I would be in.

In fact, there are certain SciFi universes that I know would have brought in even more of my friends.

sharlin.jpg

Sharlin for the win.

I don't think I would've played Armada without the Star Wars connection, honestly.  The epic space battle at the end of Rogue One renewed my love for all things Star Wars.  Then my brother told me to watch WWPDSteven's marathon Corellian Conflict videos and I was hooked. 

I could see a WWII naval game using the same system (as Star Wars is basically WWII ship battles in space) if the models were also pre-painted and just as beautiful as the minis for Armada, but it's hard to top giant space triangles.

On 1.7.2017 at 1:15 PM, Crabbok said:

Which part is it about Armada that you like the most?  The Game system or the theme?  

Personally I think if FFG ever came up with their own capital ship IP and launched a game with it, that I'd be on it in a heartbeat if it used this type of system.   

Problem is none of my friends would have bought it and introduced it to me. And even if they did I'd probably not be interested.

I would not have gotten into Armada or keep playing it if it weren't for star wars theme. 

I would still have played and keep playing X-Wing without the star wars theme (WoW =/= XW) because I love dogfighting more than I do naval combat. 

On 7/3/2017 at 7:25 AM, Democratus said:

If it was just a Space Game (TM) I probably wouldn't be interested. But if it had some other IP I loved, then I'm sure I would be in.

In fact, there are certain SciFi universes that I know would have brought in even more of my friends.

sharlin.jpg

Nice Minbari Cruiser. The Babylon 5 IP with the Armada ruleset would entice me to buy in sooooo much heavier than Star Wars did for Armada. SW theme was kinda irrelevant to me when I got into Armada, it was solely the rules and gameplay mechanics that sucked me in.