Crabbok

Would you play Armada if it wasn't Star Wars?

15 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

Which part is it about Armada that you like the most?  The Game system or the theme?  

Personally I think if FFG ever came up with their own capital ship IP and launched a game with it, that I'd be on it in a heartbeat if it used this type of system.   

That is  a good one.

Musings: In Armada, for FFG, the game comes first, the theme second.  If there is a fight between being precisely on theme vs making the game as fun/good as it can be, FFG chooses the later while trying to have as much of the former as possible.  So I guess for me it is the Game system?

That said, if it hadn't been Star Wars I probably would never have started. 

So...I came for the theme but stayed for the gameplay!

60% Theme, 40% Mechanics

In my opinion the mechanics are fine but could be better.

I like the models of Firestorm Armada but I really dislike their mechanics so I will no longer play that game.

Edited by jorgen_cab

It's a chicken or egg scenario, but in this case I feel it can be summed up nicely:  the theme made me aware of the game, and so I bought the game thanks to the theme but enjoy playing the game repeatedly because of the game.  I wouldn't have such a  large collection if I wasn't as interested in acquiring Star Wars models as I was in finding new games to play.

I had no intention of buying into Armada until it went on sale and I stumbled upon it somewhere between wave 1 and 2. So the Star Wars skin is definitely what got me to bite when the price was right.

Otherwise I doubt I'd have ever tried it. X Wing was just so much more affordable to get into.

I bought in because it was Star Wars. I had been waiting for a new Star Wars mini game that was larger than X-Wing and to replace the WotC Starships Battles. I stuck around because I love the mechanics and how customizable ships and fleets are.

3 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I bought in because it was Star Wars. I had been waiting for a new Star Wars mini game that was larger than X-Wing and to replace the WotC Starships Battles. I stuck around because I love the mechanics and how customizable ships and fleets are.

Exactly same reason here. There are other starships games, but they are not Star Wars. 

Similar other posters - theme got my attention but I love the mechanics. Different strategy elements, lots of tactical thinking and still fairly balanced.

The theme still helps keep the game coming to the table and getting new players interested.

I'd be very interested in a WW2 navel variant though.

2 minutes ago, Kendraam said:

I'd be very interested in a WW2 navel variant though.

If I'm not wrong there is a similar game with Napoleonic ships depicting old naval battles

EDIT: found it, sails of glory, don't know if you would be interested

Edited by Visovics

I've played sails of glory. It's a really fun game with nice miniatures though it doesn't offer the same complexities that armada does.  The different sides really don't feel different or offer different strategies or tactics.  The ships just look different.  No upgrades either. You do have to account for the wind which is a cool mechanic.  Also you do plan out moves ahead of time.  I would recommend it , just don't expect it to be quite as good as armada.

The upside of NOT having a Star wars theme is to be free to  invent whatever you like without limitations, which could be translated by:

-More than 2 factions

-Factions with more unique ship/mechanics

-Unlimited supply of new ship/race /characters

So if it would be just like armada but with a different theme I would say hell no. If it would be a new game that keep the same core mechanic but with a different theme then I would say why not (assuming the new miniatures/theme are attractive on their own obv).

So My thoughts on if FFG were to develop a follow up game to this...

First off, they wouldn't make the exact same game.  They'd change it up a bit.  Like they do with everything.  They always make subtle improvements, and I think this would be the same.  

I expect they'd make their ships Unpainted.  This way they can produce them faster. 

I also expect they'd adjust the cost and balance of ships so large ships don't feel quite so weak.  

I also think they'd do less squadrons, or perhaps not have squadrons as miniatures at all.   I think they may go with a different approach, for example cards, or a separate color of dice to represent squadrons and squadron defense.  The idea may be that these ships are so massive, that fighter squadrons are too small to even be visible, so we'll just use dice to represent their attack run.  

And lastly - and this one is particularly cool, I think they'll follow up with a piece from runewars.   Make the ships be modular.  Example would be if you wanted to add a heavy laser battery to the ship, it might be a physical plastic piece that actually attaches to the ship.  If you wanted to add a huge comm array, it would be a physical dish that attaches to the ship.  Give larger ships more peg holes for more upgrades.   This way when you build a ship, it LOOKS different.  Give extra peg holes in the back for more engines....  maybe even armor and shield generators too!

The simple truth is, I may have. Played the game if it was not Star Wars but I would not be investing the level of money  or time I do if it was not Star Wars.... The game mechanics are good but I would not drop £35 for an upgrade unless it was a lovely great big Star destroy I could put on a shelf and stare at lovingly. 

43 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I had a similar situation. I had a ton of Starship Battles stuff and made my own rules cause well they were beyond horrendous and who didn't make there own rules.  I got into xwing and eventually decided to sell all my starship battles stuff. Then I got into armada and never played xwing so I sold all my xwings stuff.

Came for star wars and saw a tutorial video and decided it looked about a million times better than starship battles so I wait for a deal on the core set and bought it on ebay for $67. Still here cause it's awesome!!

14 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

And lastly - and this one is particularly cool, I think they'll follow up with a piece from runewars.   Make the ships be modular.  Example would be if you wanted to add a heavy laser battery to the ship, it might be a physical plastic piece that actually attaches to the ship.  If you wanted to add a huge comm array, it would be a physical dish that attaches to the ship.  Give larger ships more peg holes for more upgrades.   This way when you build a ship, it LOOKS different.  Give extra peg holes in the back for more engines....  maybe even armor and shield generators too!

This would be pretty amazing.

1 hour ago, jorgen_cab said:

60% Theme, 40% Mechanics

In my opinion the mechanics are fine but could be better.

I like the models of Firestorm Armada but I really dislike their mechanics so I will no longer play that game.

Get yourself over to KDY and convert those Firestorm Armada ships to Star Wars Armada. http://kdyards.com/ships.view.php?id=3163

No reason to not use any of those ships for Armada.

I'm just a huge Star Wars fan boy! I play Armada, Xwing, Star Wars LCG, and Imperial Assault. Honestly the game mechanics are good but if it wasn't star wars I would just be spending more money on FOW!

Its the Star Wars that brought me in but the great games that FFG make has made me stay! So in my case their licensing deal payed off huge for them.

Like many, came for the StarWars, stayed for the game play...

One thing that amazed me from the start was the poetic feel of the nav tool over 6 rounds.  It really gives you a sense of the spaceships at their different speeds.  The Imperial march still plays in my head when I move my spaceships.

I definitely got sucked in by the Star Wars models at this scale. That's even how I stumbled on Armada in the first place. I was looking for models of Star Wars capital ships, smaller freighters and fighters that would not look ridiculous on the table at the same time. They were just going to be props for my Star Wars D6 campaign, until I read the early reviews.

The game itself makes it all viable, but the Star War ships are what get me spending an obscene amount of money on little plastic space ships! 

Would I still buy Armada expansions if FFG lost the Star Wars license, and just started producing generic ships for two+ generic factions?

Probably, yea.

25 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I definitely got sucked in by the Star Wars models at this scale. That's even how I stumbled on Armada in the first place. I was looking for models of Star Wars capital ships, smaller freighters and fighters that would not look ridiculous on the table at the same time. They were just going to be props for my Star Wars D6 campaign, until I read the early reviews.

The game itself makes it all viable, but the Star War ships are what get me spending an obscene amount of money on little plastic space ships! 

Would I still buy Armada expansions if FFG lost the Star Wars license, and just started producing generic ships for two+ generic factions?

Probably, yea.

Honestly would be nice if FFG had a little bit more free reign to produce ships.