Just now, Kakita Shiro said:

Not so much suggesting it as saying it outright. =)

How unfortunate it must be for you then, to have been assigned under my command on the wall. Pray that such a desperate situation does not exist. :D

Stoic is a great word to attach to a Crab card.  I really like how they expand the characterization of the clans by doing these X + Y titles, often reminding us that while personality trait x is dominant and iconic, personality trait y is also important even if less capitalized in stereotypes. "Stoic" is very intellectual and composed, which rounds out the characterization of Crab, being a good counter balance to the usual depictions of the Crab as brutish, impulsive and yelling.

(I think that's why Brash Samurai ended up being a Crane, too - to remind us of the side of the Crane other than pretty cool and with a confident smile)

On the other hand, I DON'T WANT THE RETURN OF STRIPPER ARMOR CRAB POLICE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo

On the third, Shadowlands-gifted hand, people designing this game seem to pick my favorite mechanics and spread them out the entire game, making it extremely hard for me to stick to a clan - I love reanimator tech, I love the Dragon attachment theme, and I friggin love assymetrical sacrifice tech. WOE IS ME HOW DO I PICK A CLAN TO PLAY.

Good thing I'm getting 2 cores and my non-competetive friend is getting one and we are card pooling. ALL THE DECKS I CAN MAKE....

6 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

I am a bit concerned because...Crab was never about spamming weak dudes. I don't know if I'm excited about the fact that the clan encourages me to run a bunch of guys that I don't mind sacrificing.

I agree with you here.  I hope we see some big bad hero/berserker personalities.  Wish this guy had 3 force.  I don't really want to spam out a bunch of guys.  I want to throw a couple fate on a couple big personality that you need to find a ways to deal deal with (bow, send home) or he/she will flat out smash you.  

My hope is for really high mil, relatively lower pol and glory, and resilience.  But if not, I guess I will learn to adapt :)

Looking forward to the next two weeks!!!

26 minutes ago, HidaYama said:

Not familiar with Netrunner, but it is a question that should be asked next L5R Live.

Here is the relevant section from the Netrunner FAQ. Trashed means discarded.

If the cost of a paid ability requires a card to be trashed, then preventing that card from being trashed prevents the cost from being paid and the paid ability does not resolve.

From the Game of Thrones Rules Reference on Sacrifice

Sacrifice When a player is instructed to sacrifice a card, that player must choose a card in play that he or she controls and that matches the requirements of the sacrifice, and place it in his or her discard pile.

• If the chosen card does not leave play, the sacrifice is not considered to have been made.
  • Sacrificing a card does not satisfy any other means (such as “kill” or “discard”) of a card leaving play.
  • A sacrificed card cannot be saved.

3 minutes ago, Danwarr said:

Here is the relevant section from the Netrunner FAQ. Trashed means discarded.

From the Game of Thrones Rules Reference on Sacrifice

I agree that it could work that way, but it could work the other way since reprieve is intended to take the place of a character dying. It is a good question to ask FFG in the next L5R Live. If they say it works the way you are saying then it works that way and I create a strategy with that in mind. 

Just now, Zetsubou said:

Eagerly (ha) awaiting the spoilage of the inevitable personality with a offensive ability that triggers on sacrifice (maybe bowing an attacker? feels thematic) that will be this guy's best pal.

You mean like Allah Ackbar crab?

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I am really just falling in love with this guy. Drop him after a conflict has already occurred, into a mil conflict, sacrifice one of your no fate guys that just defended for a boost. "You're dying, let me kill you for your power."

This card + reprieve might move my current thinking of Lion for military splash to Crab.

Just now, Mirith said:

This card + reprieve might move my current thinking of Lion for military splash to Crab.

Oh my god, they're both 1 influence. I want this in my lion deck. Maybe even my Unicorn, but I like Sashinono and Honored blade more for my Uni.

3 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Oh my god, they're both 1 influence. I want this in my lion deck. Maybe even my Unicorn, but I like Sashinono and Honored blade more for my Uni.

I'm not sold on Honored blade yet.  Seems good, but slightly too expensive.

Edited by Mirith

32 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

It's a cool idea that Crab has a lot of sacrifice effects (assuming, of course, that Way of the Crab does, indeed, sacrifice a character to sacrifice an opponent's character or something along those lines.)

The Eager Scout falls perfectly in line with this, as does this character.

I am a bit concerned because...Crab was never about spamming weak dudes. I don't know if I'm excited about the fact that the clan encourages me to run a bunch of guys that I don't mind sacrificing.

Ideally, the other sacrifice effects we see are potent. If they're going to build a theme around this, I hope they do it in a way that doesn't feel like walking on thin ice.

Well the way the game is structured as long as that character is done with conflict for the turn and has no fate you might as well just sacrifice him since they do no more work for you.  So Stoic Gunso and more generally sacrifice as a theme doesn't need to be about weenie spam.  It does probably mean you'll be putting less fate on characters and that your characters will be rolling out more frequently than other clans.  they seem like the exact opposite to the Dragon.

I think a short life expectancy is pretty thematically appropriate.

Edited by phillos

3 minutes ago, Mirith said:

I'm not sold on Honored blade yet.  Seems good, but slightly too expensive.

Personally I love it, but admittedly I haven't had much chance in games I've played to use it (just hasn't been drawn). Opinions may change.