Blackbird888

The Evening Lamp IC

303 posts in this topic

Star Wars: Force and Destiny

The Evening Lamp

You've come a long way, but it seems the road goes on forever.

Garuu is about as backwater as any planet on the Outer Rim. It seems the planet is a mecca of sorts, as you've seen innumerable species since landing on the planet, but isolated and unknown.

Whatever the various reasons you've come here for, Baak Harrema seems to hold all the answers... if only he wasn't so oblique in his instructions. 'Garuu. The old shrine.' was the gist of his message to you. It took you a while, but you finally picked up on some rumors regarding a temple or something on a continent in the north, a location the natives collectively call 'the Coldlands.' The trip across the oceans didn't take more than a day or two, but you can see the decline in technology the further you leave Garuu City, and the increase in wilderness. You're not alone, at least. Calling your little group 'friends' may be a bit of a stretch, but these others that are trying to contact Baak Harrema seem... familiar, almost.

You've come to a little village that seems to have no name. It seems in a cleared land on the slopes of a low mountain. To the southeast you can see the ocean and the larger port town you first came to the continent on, and to the north and west you see an expanse of mountains and thick forests. The weather is humid and cool, which makes it unpleasant, there are remnants of snow on the ground, and the skies are partially concealed by gray clouds. The village itself is very small, little more than a hunting village, maybe, and seems to be made of several mixed species, though Twi'leks seem predominant.

This is where the rumors have pointed you: somewhere in the area is (supposedly) the temple you are looking for.

Now you just have to find out where that is, exactly.

Edgehawk and Absol197 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Kestrel Kai takes in the beauty of the coastal forest surrounding them. This hunting village nestled in the lee slope of the mountains would fit right in, on Arbooine. 

Kai chooses not to pursue that line of thought, at present, however. Home. Clan. There is something I must do. And Baak Harrema may be able to help? 

Activating his Jump Boots, he flies up to roost in the canopy of a tall fir, looking North and West, toward the mountains. Attempting to attune himself to the land, and the old shrine he and his new companions seek... he comes up blank. Dark thoughts interfere with his search yet again. And I am supposed to be the Seeker? Kai glides back to the ground, letting his frustrations fall away like flakes of snow, knowing they will only serve to further cloud his senses.

Ruffling his blue feathers, he adjusts his cloak, and addresses the party: Shelter here tonight? he chirps. We must seek local assistance, to continue our search.

 

Edited by Edgehawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamoa walks along, his thermal cloak draped over his shoulders, covering his body.  His short, jet black hair is stark against his green skin, and his markings are prominent on his cheeks.  Mostly quiet on the trip over, finding more enjoyment in the sea than anything else.  He nods at Kestrel's words.  "Sound plan, if nothing else we can get a map from them, or even just a description of local landmarks.  Or perhaps they are familiar with the old shrine itself."  He waves at a random villager that he makes eye contact with, his demeanor relaxed and curious.   He likes villages like this, and has stayed at many of them in his wanderings.   He sniffs the air.  "I think some food sounds like a good idea as well."  He glances around, looking for the tell tale signs of an inn or food shack.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Zik walks the last few steps of the quay and hugs his cloak tighter around his thin frame. He resists the urge to chatter his teeth, pausing to calm himself. The town looks nice enough, a bit like a Chalactan village. Maybe a good place to tell a story or two after he and the others find Baak Harrema. 

From the corner of his eye, Zik sees Kestrel fly up into a tree, gaze around, then flitter back down. When they first met, Zik wouldn't have been able to tell one of the Sathari's expressions from another. But after months of training together, he knows that expression: disappointment.

Zik trudges over to his comrade as the Sathari speaks with Kamoa. The Human puts his hand on the avian's back. "We Chalactans say, 'The stranger may have eyes, but they do not see.' We're outsiders here, so we don't really know what to look for. I think you and Kamoa have the right idea. Why don't we find a watering hole?"

 

Edited by SavageBob
Edgehawk likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Chadrik finally had given in on the thermal cloak. He had it on, but he did not like it. It reminded him too much of the Jedi, and he would much rather forget about them. But the weather made the thermal cloak necessary. Or close to it. He smirked as much as his Rodian face could and watched in amusement as Kestrel practically flew up into the trees. Despite his days in the Temple he had never seen such a creature before. Joining the group only a week ago, Chadrik was still learning about them all. The thin human called Zik seemed to have been around the...Sathari a bit, but he was unsure about the others. They seemed okay and he even was enjoying himself having companions for the first time in forever. Companions that had the same goal. His thoughts wandered to Baak Harrema. The man was someone who could help Chadrik evade the Imperial pressures that were slowly but surely catching up to the Rodian. He had heard about Harrema around the Temple, but he never was sure if the man was a Jedi or a friend of the Temple. Or something else. Whatever the case, assistance would be of value.

 

Edited by SebastianArrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Takane watched as the bird-man flitted down from the tree.  She was disappointed as well, but didn't let it show; she had not expected the temple to be so easy to find.  A friend of Grandfather's would never make such a trial a simple one.

As the others discussed, she walked along behind them, keeping a hand on the hilt of her sword to steady it at her belt as she went.  The cold was bothersome, and she wore her cloak as the others did, but it wasn't so stinging that she felt she truly needed it: her homeworld (or at least the one she considered her home) had extreme winters. 

She let her silence confirm with the others that she agreed with their course of action: the locals would know of the temple, or at least more so than the people in Garuu City had, and would be able to guide their path.  She did feel the need to vocalize one particular point, however.  "We must not stay too long," she insisted.  "We should get our directions, ensure our supplies are ready, then go.  We do not want to delay."

Edited by Absol197
Edgehawk likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The unspoiled wilderness landscape assaulted Bralane's senses like nothing ever before. It was a completely alien existence. Living her entire life in the claustrophobic miasma that was the ghetto of Worlport, the surrounding wilderness was disquieting. Where others would find peace and solitude in the rustic nature, Bralane sensed... nothing. The cloying odors of hundreds of street vendors cooking foods mixed with refuse. The shrill sounds of thousands of sentients engaged in conversation. The agonized screams of those dying. The whine of repulsor craft both on the ground and above in the skies. All of it was gone, replaced by a subtle stillness that yet still pounded in Bralane's head. Despite the foreign lands, Bralane still sensed she needed to be here; something bigger than herself and her fears called.

A cold, damp wind, biting to the bone, snapped Bralane's attention to more pragmatic matters. Dropping the backpack, still emblazoned with the insignia of the Mantellian Civilian Defense Force, Bralene rummage around, finding a heavy cloak to keep the chill at bay.

Looking around at her new companions Bralane put on a brave face, attempting to hide her clear discomfort and fear, while speaking:

Quote

"I agree with Takane. Let's resupply as needed at this village, but I don't want to tarry."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The village is relatively small, and easy to navigate. There is a small, outdoor general store with what looks like some simple supplies; it is being run by a Twi'lek male, all bundled up in warm clothing. A few other individuals of various species can be seen, but they seem mostly concerned with their own business. There is a sharp, salty smell of fish.

You can easily see roads--more like foot paths, really--leaving town. One north and south, seemingly following the coastline, and another in a general westerly way, into the mountains.

Edgehawk likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Zik sucks his teeth in disappointment. The village must be smaller than it looked to be at first. Worse, there don't seem to be any cantinas or food stalls to be found. Where better to learn a bit about local history, and—most importantly—gather clues about where this temple might be? He stops to scan the small crowd gathered in what seems to pass for this central market. Maybe someone here can help. It's still better to learn a bit about the place before heading off into gods-know-what down those footpaths. Don't grab a knife until you're sure which side is the hilt, Zik reminds himself.

He finds the oldest, most weathered-looking woman in the area and approaches her slowly. He bows and says, "I'm sorry to bother you, Auntie, but my friends are I are a bit… lost. Can you tell me where we are? And what's around this village?"

Edited by SavageBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamoa sniffs, catching the smell of seafood, and heads in that direction. It's a village, they have to eat, somebody's surely willing to sell their catch, it being a seaside village afterall.  He wanders over to the outdoor vendor, seeing what he has to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

Zik sucks his teeth in disappointment. The village must be smaller than it looked to be at first. Worse, there don't seem to be any cantinas or food stalls to be found. Where better to learn a bit about local history, and—most importantly—gather clues about where this temple might be? He stops to scan the small crowd gathered in what seems to pass for this central market. Maybe someone here can help. It's still better to learn a bit about the place before heading off into gods-know-what down those footpaths. Don't grab a knife until you're sure which side is the hilt, Zik reminds himself.

He finds the oldest, most weathered-looking woman in the area and approaches her slowly. He bows and says, "I'm sorry to bother you, Auntie, but my friends are I are a bit… lost. Can you tell me where we are? And what's around this village?"

The old woman turns to Zik and stares at him. After a moment of thought, she points to the north road. "That way is Ramshead," she says, her voice raspy. She points south. "Nothing that way until you hit the Cape." She points west. "Gilgal is on the other side of the Gilgal Forest, across the mountain ridge--until you make it to the city, not much there but trees, animals and bandits."

5 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Kamoa sniffs, catching the smell of seafood, and heads in that direction. It's a village, they have to eat, somebody's surely willing to sell their catch, it being a seaside village afterall.  He wanders over to the outdoor vendor, seeing what he has to sell.

The 'general store' has mostly local products, held in old plastoid containers on racks. Nothing seems to be organized, and Kamoa sees a variety of things, from dry foodstuffs to small technological items, though it would be a surprise if any of it worked. The Twi'lek has sat himself on a stool and is sipping something out of a canteen. He nods in greeting, but says little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

The 'general store' has mostly local products, held in old plastoid containers on racks. Nothing seems to be organized, and Kamoa sees a variety of things, from dry foodstuffs to small technological items, though it would be a surprise if any of it worked. The Twi'lek has sat himself on a stool and is sipping something out of a canteen. He nods in greeting, but says little.

"Evening." Kamoa says amiably to the Twi'lek.  He points to the dry foodstuffs.  "I'd like some of those please.  A good number of them if you have it in stock.  Enough for a couple days if possible.   Also, you know of any interesting places around here?"  He gestures to his companions.  "My friends and I are here sightseeing, on a suggestion from a friend, and I'm curious about any good places that you might suggest."   He moves his hand to his belt, removing several credit chips, holding them in his hands casually, ready to pay for his food, and anything else that might come about from the conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

"Evening." Kamoa says amiably to the Twi'lek.  He points to the dry foodstuffs.  "I'd like some of those please.  A good number of them if you have it in stock.  Enough for a couple days if possible.   Also, you know of any interesting places around here?"  He gestures to his companions.  "My friends and I are here sightseeing, on a suggestion from a friend, and I'm curious about any good places that you might suggest."   He moves his hand to his belt, removing several credit chips, holding them in his hands casually, ready to pay for his food, and anything else that might come about from the conversation.

"Eh, sightseer? That's a new one," the Twi'lek says, somewhat amused. His voice has a peculiar accent, but he speaks Basic well enough. "Well... Ramshead is much nicer than Snowfish Port, that's for sure. That's north. West is Gilgal, but unless you've got a speeder, it'll take days to get there on foot, and the forest is dangerous this time of year. There's nothin' along the south road, unless you like the ocean breeze."

He rises to gather a handful of rations and other supplies, but pauses. "You wouldn't happen to be using... galactic credits, would you?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

"Eh, sightseer? That's a new one," the Twi'lek says, somewhat amused. His voice has a peculiar accent, but he speaks Basic well enough. "Well... Ramshead is much nicer than Snowfish Port, that's for sure. That's north. West is Gilgal, but unless you've got a speeder, it'll take days to get there on foot, and the forest is dangerous this time of year. There's nothin' along the south road, unless you like the ocean breeze."

He rises to gather a handful of rations and other supplies, but pauses. "You wouldn't happen to be using... galactic credits, would you?"

Kamoa nods and holds up his currency.  "Yep, that a problem?"  His tone curious.  "What is Gilal by the way?  A town?  Natural location?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

Kamoa nods and holds up his currency.  "Yep, that a problem?"  His tone curious.  "What is Gilal by the way?  A town?  Natural location?"

"Not a problem, really," the Twi'lek answers. "At least, not with me. Some places don't see much outsider traffic, so credits are no good. Garuu has a local currency used in these parts."

"Gilgal? It's a city, through the forest. We don't see many from there. Most of the communities out here are independently governed, so we try to stay out of each other's way."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I see." Kamoa says, gathering his purchases and handing over the credits.  "Oh, by the way, any old ruins around here?  I'm always curious to see various ruins when I travel.  It's interesting to see how things differ from planet to planet."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KungFuFerret said:

"I see." Kamoa says, gathering his purchases and handing over the credits.  "Oh, by the way, any old ruins around here?  I'm always curious to see various ruins when I travel.  It's interesting to see how things differ from planet to planet."

"Ruins?" He looks thoughtful. He doesn't answer for a moment. "Nothing I've heard of, but I haven't lived here as long as some of the others. You'll have to ask around."

He hands you a bundle of the provisions. "That'll be 100 creds."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Kamoa hands over the credits with a nod of thanks, and heads back to the group.  "Well, no luck on my end on anything specific, other than mention of a city called Gilgal to the West.  He didn't know anything about any ruins, said we should ask around."  He munches on a bit of the food, and holds out the rest to the group.  "Want some? It's..." he pauses, looking at it.  "...actually I don't know what it is, but it's tasty."

Edited by KungFuFerret
SavageBob likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bralane slowly walks through the village, soaking in all of the sights, smells, and sounds. She can't help but see the parallels the villagers experience in this rustic setting and her own in the crowded ghettos of a supposedly high tech Ord Mantell.

"Life saving medicines are just as rare in the Ubron district of my homeworld as they are here I bet." Mused Bralane to herself.

As she continued down what passes for the main trail through the village, Bralane gazes at all of the inhabitants, careful not to be viewed as leering or rude. But where there are sentients, there are those who seek to take more than they give, and there are those who give away their secrets without even opening their mouth...

I would like to have Bralane make a Perception or Streetwise check to evaluate if anyone she meets seems out of place (besides the party) or is of an "unsavory" character.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

The old woman turns to Zik and stares at him. After a moment of thought, she points to the north road. "That way is Ramshead," she says, her voice raspy. She points south. "Nothing that way until you hit the Cape." She points west. "Gilgal is on the other side of the Gilgal Forest, across the mountain ridge--until you make it to the city, not much there but trees, animals and bandits."

Zik smiles. "Thank you, Auntie. I hope I'm not bothering you, but I was wondering if you might tell me a bit about the history of this area. My people have a saying: 'The visitor does not reveal the history of the town to the host.' Are there any towns or villages around here that no one lives in anymore? Maybe something that's fallen into ruin?" Zik feels the old woman getting annoyed with him, but he tries to stay calm.

Edited by SavageBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

Zik smiles. "Thank you, Auntie. I hope I'm not bothering you, but I was wondering if you might tell me a bit about the history of this area. My people have a saying: 'The visitor does not reveal the history of the town to the host.' Are there any towns or villages around here that no one lives in anymore? Maybe something that's fallen into ruin?" Zik feels the old woman getting annoyed with him, but he tries to stay calm.

The woman regards Zik with a wary eye. "I don't know too much, outsider, but I heard the Curiosity Shop owner deals in all kinds of stories like that... not that I'd trust the cretin to tell any truths. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to return home."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

The woman regards Zik with a wary eye. "I don't know too much, outsider, but I heard the Curiosity Shop owner deals in all kinds of stories like that... not that I'd trust the cretin to tell any truths. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to return home."

"Until our paths cross again, Auntie."

Zik heads in the direction the old woman indicated and finds an odd-looking shop. He looks for someone in charge. "Hello?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Magnus Arcanus said:

Bralane slowly walks through the village, soaking in all of the sights, smells, and sounds. She can't help but see the parallels the villagers experience in this rustic setting and her own in the crowded ghettos of a supposedly high tech Ord Mantell.

"Life saving medicines are just as rare in the Ubron district of my homeworld as they are here I bet." Mused Bralane to herself.

As she continued down what passes for the main trail through the village, Bralane gazes at all of the inhabitants, careful not to be viewed as leering or rude. But where there are sentients, there are those who seek to take more than they give, and there are those who give away their secrets without even opening their mouth...

No matter where you go, people don't seem to change. On the edge of the market, shadowed in an alcove, are a pair of mean looking aliens. A scarred up Aqualish and a grizzled Quarren. They aren't making any aggressive airs, but they seem to be mercenaries or bodyguards or thug of some sort.

3 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

"Until our paths cross again, Auntie."

Zik heads in the direction the old woman indicated and finds an odd-looking shop. He looks for someone in charge. "Hello?"

An alleyway, leading you to an unassuming backdoor to a building. A small sign reads in a language in Huttese reads something to the effect of "curiosity shop."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

No matter where you go, people don't seem to change. On the edge of the market, shadowed in an alcove, are a pair of mean looking aliens. A scarred up Aqualish and a grizzled Quarren. They aren't making any aggressive airs, but they seem to be mercenaries or bodyguards or thug of some sort.

Bralane quickly sizes up these two thugs, and decides to saunter on over, figuring they probably speak the same "language". Putting on her own "mean looking face", Bralane saunters on over to these fellows.

"Hello Gentle-beings. Mighty fine evening isn't it? I can't help but notice that most of the other villagers are busy doing their day to day tasks, yet you two are here just hanging around in the shadows. Finish up your work early today? Or are you still on the job?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chadrik takes in the sights and smells of the town. He too follows his nose and tails Kamoa through the marketplace. However, he gets distracted for a minute with a small game of Spinndice that two young humans are playing but quickly moves on. After the novelty of the place wears off he tries to listen to the conversations that are going on. He tries a few free samples, a few more than is polite, and glances around him while keeping his ears open.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now