Sign in to follow this  
Swusn

UPDATED:New Battlestar game has serious Armada vibes.

If you're looking for a decent space combat video game utilizing capital ships, check out Fractured Space - https://www.fracturedspace.com/. It's free to play, and I've enjoyed it off-and-on since I started playing last year. There's no single player campaign as the game is focused on PvP. It has some MOBA-ish features in that your team accumulates points by pushing lanes of attack, but there is a lot of strategy and tactics between the different ship hull models and the teamwork. As your team controls points, it collects resources that allow you to level up your ship. Each ship generally fills a role of tank, attack, or utility, but every one plays a little differently.

Wow, the 'shoot them move' design combined with the ship specific movement mechanics and fighter squadron system make this appear to be a video game equivalent of Armada! 

The fact that there aren't any Star Wars versions of this with AAA pedigree make me so upset. I really hate that Lucas Arts sold the license in exclusivity to companies in their respective field. We're about to be 3 movies into the Disney reign and still only have 1 game out... and the upcoming game is its sequel. There's an adventure shooter (like Uncharted) set between episode 4/5 on its way from Visceral, and a probably Jedi related title coming from Respawn. 

On 10/16/2017 at 9:43 PM, Arttemis said:

Wow, the 'shoot them move' design combined with the ship specific movement mechanics and fighter squadron system make this appear to be a video game equivalent of Armada! 

The fact that there aren't any Star Wars versions of this with AAA pedigree make me so upset. I really hate that Lucas Arts sold the license in exclusivity to companies in their respective field. We're about to be 3 movies into the Disney reign and still only have 1 game out... and the upcoming game is its sequel. There's an adventure shooter (like Uncharted) set between episode 4/5 on its way from Visceral, and a probably Jedi related title coming from Respawn. 

Except EA just executed Visceral, so that game’s future is in serious question. 

https://makingstarwars.net/2017/10/ea-shutting-visceral-studios-future-star-wars-game/

Edited by GrandAdmiralCrunch

@Democratus

They dropped the price to 29.99 and finally have this game and the new dlc on the psn store and i was thinking of picking it up. Its still 39.99 with the 4.99 dlc on steam.

I just want to make sure with the ui negatives you pointed out its not going to be a mess to control things with the controller. 

Never tried it on a console. Maybe they made the interface better for it. It's a gamble. Maybe there's a review  for the PS version?

I also heard that there is a new Cylon hacking ship released, which I haven't seen.

Sorry I don't have anything more useful to say. :)

4 hours ago, Democratus said:

Never tried it on a console. Maybe they made the interface better for it. It's a gamble. Maybe there's a review  for the PS version?

I also heard that there is a new Cylon hacking ship released, which I haven't seen.

Sorry I don't have anything more useful to say. :)

Hah no thanks for responding. That ship (and 3 others) are part of the new dlc that just came out. Figured i coukd get it and the dlc for less than steam but yeah ps is a gamble

there are 2 new Cylon ships. the Phobos is a nastier version of the Nemesis. The Cerastes is a viper killing Destroyer.

the Colonials Received the Berzerk class Assault Carrier and the Janus class Heavy Cruiser.

space dock did a proving ground video for all 4 of them.

I'm hoping someone will create these ships on shapeways so I can play on something other than my PS4. 

The PS4 game is pretty decent.  I guess it's kind of an Active Time Battle sort of method.  Not quite Real Time Strategy like Star Wars Empire At War (now THERE's a game I'd like to see come to PS4, granted its a few years old).   But still, it's pretty cool.  Takes some getting used to.

Be neat if they eventually came up with an add-on that added the classic battlestars.  They do have the classic (with some alterations) Cylon basestars and Raiders, so that's cool. :)

I thought it was worth the 30 bucks I spent on it.  I love Battlestar Galactica both classic and reimagined.

BTW, it seems that PS4 has kinda slowed down on its PS2 port ups....I was really hoping to see the Battlestar Galactica game that Vivendi/Universal made for PS2 get ported up. 

That would be cool but I don't think it will capture the Star Wars feel the same way that this game captures the Battlestar Galatica feel. The battles were more gritty and straight up combat where Star Wars had more character emotion and dialog. Unless they put some insane plot armor elements on it

I just beat the campaign. I must say I really enjoyed it, I will say buy it on the PC controls are clearly better with mouse and keyboard. None the less I enjoyed it immensely.

Second: has anyone bought the dlc? If so will those ships be useable in the campaign?

Review: the overarching game play is very xcom in terms of map, and fleet Management. The actual combat will feel comfortably simple, yet have all the depth you desire. 

Cons; no specific ship customization, leading to an all ships feel samey. Ship veterancy would be a nice feature. Both of these aspects are lightly addressed in the officer progression, but not enough to be meaty. Controls are clunky on xbone (probably better on PC)

Pros: difficulty scales nicely. Meaning you always feel a little out gunned, But not so much that it's futile.  Good macro and micro tatical depth. 

Overall grade B

Addition: 

I just bought the dlc giving you the berserk carrier, and the Janus for the campaign.  In my initial thought the new ships give solid additions to your colonial fleet. The berserk carrier gives a serious offensive early game punch, with fighter cover.  The Janus is a tanky ship with 3 missiles, I suspect that when you unlock nukes it's a real monster. It could be said that it tries to fill the same role as the ranger, but I would say not really. Ranger is for fast relaoding hit and run missiles, the Janus is more for being in the thick of the fight lobbing up to a 3 missle burst (3 round cool down), in my opinion give it nukes take 2 watch toasters fry.