migs6000

So, I think the end times are here...

Casual night last night, one member decided to proxy the new minefield mapper thing. 28 cluster mines later, both players decided they didn't want to put each other through that. It honestly looked ridiculous. If there's no limit to the amount of mines, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I can't imagine what the board looked like but what if 4 TLT Y-Wings just ran over mines to the Punishers and shredded them. Bomb damage is still random, Y-Wings can soak up a ton and TLTs would still annihilate a Punisher. You don't have to set off most of the mines to get a clear enough board for TLT Y-Wings to scoot around enough.  

TL;DR My thought is does TLT or other parts of the meta just push mine spam out of the meta?

3 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

I know the jury is still out but I stand by EM not working double duty on this and even then you'd need 7 ships with EM to pull those numbers off. This exact reason is why I am pretty positive EM will NOT let you drop 4 mines off 2 slots with mapper.

Even if it does work logically I predict we'll see an erratta.

If I was playing someone with 24 points of Bombs on Punishers, and they blow them all before the game starts in a way that almost guarantees I'll only get hit by a couple of them, and only if I'm stupid and don't spread out when I deploy, I should be thanking them for the easiest game of X-wing I'd ever played.  

Seriously, this is a terrible strategy, even against triple TIE/Interceptors.  Bombs are so much more dangerous when they've be dropped at will compared to blowing your load in places you know enemy ships won't go.

The only way the triple Punisher Minefield list is going to win is through gross incompetence of the opponent. There is simply no way you can place those mines in such a way that the opponent will hit enough of them for your 2-dice, single-action ships to actually be able to win the game afterwards.

It might look intimidating, but it's a Tier 3 meme list at best and will lose every game it plays against quality opposition.

1 hour ago, migs6000 said:

Casual night last night, one member decided to proxy the new minefield mapper thing. 28 cluster mines later, both players decided they didn't want to put each other through that. It honestly looked ridiculous. If there's no limit to the amount of mines, this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Please explain how you were able to put 28 clusters mines. You had 7 ships?

23 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

If I was playing someone with 24 points of Bombs on Punishers, and they blow them all before the game starts in a way that almost guarantees I'll only get hit by a couple of them, and only if I'm stupid and don't spread out when I deploy, I should be thanking them for the easiest game of X-wing I'd ever played.  

Seriously, this is a terrible strategy, even against triple TIE/Interceptors.  Bombs are so much more dangerous when they've be dropped at will compared to blowing your load in places you know enemy ships won't go.

I could see merit in maybe dropping one or two. There's some value in just being able to tell your opponent, "No, you're not going to flank me from this angle, or use this area for your K-turns and sloops."

The problem is that you have to be flying a ship with both bombs and a system slot where you won't mind burning a bomb to cut off a specific angle. It's a free upgrade, so the only opportunity cost is that you can't use Collision Detector. You can choose at the start of the match whether to actually use it or not. But the list of ships who can both carry this upgrade and would actually want to are slim: the Havoc, the Punisher, Sabine crewing a U-Wing, B-Wing or VCX, or Cad Bane crewing a G-1A.

Sorry but, why don't sacrifice 1 ship, make a breach into the wall of Clusters, and then win the game chasing 3 Punishers?

You can even try to push them over theirs wall.

It's nearly an autoloose for the empire player. If I had to play something like that as the Empire, I will switch some Clusters for the new rockets (the not discard one). I will have some firepower almost, for this scenario.

Something like this:

TIE Punisher: Cutlass Squadron Pilot (21)
     Extra Munitions (2)
     Unguided Rockets (2)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Proximity Mines (3)
     Minefield Mapper (2)
     Extra Munitions (2)
     Unguided Rockets (2)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Minefield Mapper (2)
     Extra Munitions (2)
     Unguided Rockets (2)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Minefield Mapper (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

or this:

Extra Munitions (2)
     Unguided Rockets (2)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Minefield Mapper (2)
     Lightweight Frame (2)
     Extra Munitions (2)
     Unguided Rockets (2)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Minefield Mapper (2)
     Lightweight Frame (2)
     Extra Munitions (2)
     Unguided Rockets (2)
     Cluster Mines (4)
     Minefield Mapper (2)
     Lightweight Frame (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 99p. --

Edited by Cerve

11 minutes ago, taulover55 said:

i'd take tugboats, tie D defenders (with tractor) or some cheap tractor beam carriers.

You think you can escape the mines?? think again!!

Quads could handle the surprise well, they could just back on up if need be

9 hours ago, migs6000 said:

So, they know that Extra Munitions doesn't let you drop two mines with Minefield Mapper, right?

48 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Kylo is really good against certain things.  This isn't.

But I'm pretty sure there will be variations which will be, is the trouble. Centre the list around Rebel or Scum Nym with a TLT and some other ships with turrets or TLTs, and you can just fortress indefinitely behind a wall of conner nets, and get enough reliable damage to kill anything that comes near you, especially given that it won't have any actions when it gets in range.  I'm thinking Scum Nym, a TLT Y and a torpscout, or something like that. 

Even without functional fortress lists, I'm concerned that we end up in a meta where the actual 'point your ship at the opponent and attack' part becomes low on relevance, because Biggs, TLTs, and bombs will basically BE the meta.  And that is just SO unfun.