Sketchpad

Genre Books

Enterprise got off to a very weak start, and the 3rd season (the xindi arc) was atrocious, but the 4th season was actually very good. Unfortunately, by the time they found their footing it was too late. If they had started off at that level of quality I have no doubt that enterprise would have gone the full 7 seasons and would have been comparable to ds9. 

26 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Enterprise got off to a very weak start, and the 3rd season (the xindi arc) was atrocious, but the 4th season was actually very good. Unfortunately, by the time they found their footing it was too late. If they had started off at that level of quality I have no doubt that enterprise would have gone the full 7 seasons and would have been comparable to ds9. 

You gotta love the fact that. when it comes to Star Trek, if someone asks if you're a fan?  You know there's gonna be a caveat somewhere. Ha.

"Well, I freaking LOVE TOS and DS9.  But I really only kinda like TNG.  VOY and ENT are not that great.  And the only good movies are the first four, which are AWESOME.  Oh, and the TNG one with the Borg.  The rest of the films are utter garbage."  Am I right?

Anyway, as I've just given away my own personal feelings in the line above, I have to say I quite liked Season 3 of ENT and its tense serialized storyline centered on the Xindi.  But I'm of the opinions that Season 4 was hugely overrated (probably because of that pretty good 2-parter with the mirror universe) and that Seasons 1 and 2 were downright boring and forgettable.  I'm afraid that believing ENT could ever have been as good as DS9 is just not within my realm of imagination...

PS - I also enjoy TAS (the animated series).  Of course, that's entirely  due to the fact that I read all of the Star Trek Logs before watching any of the actual episodes of TAS.  ;)

PPS - The Star Trek Logs, for those of you not in the know, were expanded novelizations of TAS by Alan Dean Foster who seemingly poured his heart and soul into those things.

Edited by Harlock999

19 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

You gotta love the fact that. when it comes to Star Trek, if someone asks if you're a fan?  You know there's gonna be a caveat somewhere. Ha.

"Well, I freaking LOVE TOS and DS9.

PS - I also enjoy TAS (the animated series).  Of course, that's entirely  due to the fact that I read all of the Star Trek Logs before watching any of the actual episodes of TAS.  ;)

PPS - The Star Trek Logs, for those of you not in the know, were expanded novelizations of TAS by Alan Dean Foster who seemingly poured his heart and soul into those things.

You probably know of this, but just in case: STAR TREK CONTINUES:

It's a (profesional) fan made continuation of the Original tv series. It's a bit odd seeing new actors play the characters* but the props and sets are just spot on.

* and Kirk talking fluently ;) 

On 6/29/2017 at 8:02 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Liscencing - the rights to use certain intellectual properties.  

As to what I want - Superheroes, specifically a take on the Green Lantern Corps.

Thundercats! - based off of the reboot from a few years ago, which while quite good, got cancelled.

DragonStar - owned by FFG, so why not?

Mass Effect - there is no official tabletop, and that is a shame.

Space Opera/Fantasy - I mean, really, this seems like a no brainer.  

What, no Silverhawks?

On 29.6.2017 at 2:02 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Mass Effect - there is no official tabletop, and that is a shame.

That's exactly why I put so much hope in Genesys. I do not understand either, why there's not P&P RPG, it is such a rich setting, it literally cries for a tabletop.

On 6/29/2017 at 1:40 PM, 2P51 said:

They've got The Witcher boardgame, no clue if that's an option, but it would be a good move.  

The Witcher rpg is being handled by R. Talsorian. It's a cross-pollination deal. CD Project Red is doing the Cyberpunk 2077 video game for RT, and RT is doing the Witcher tabletop rpg using the Cyberpunk system. I don't remember which version was specified, but I think (I'd hope) that they would use 2.0.2.0. instead of v3. 

AS for Trek, the biggest problem is that, as mentioned, Paramount owns the movie rights, while CBS owns the television rights. Neither company knows how to care for the IP as a while, and neither one cares to learn as long as they keep making money off of it. Modiphious has already stated that they got rights to the first 5 series, never mentioned anything about the animated series though I would assume they have that as well. They didn't get rights to Discovery, but I'm not sure there was an explanation why.

Personally, if they ever got rights to the film stuff, I wouldn't want it incorporated into the mainline material. I'd want it treated exactly as it is, an alternate timeline. Keep it close enough for the folks that want the new movies, but separate enough that those of us that love the original stuff don't have to incorporate it.

As for Discovery.... with the horrible abortion candidate that mess is railroading into... I wouldn't consider it as source material for a fire-pit because I'd be concerned about the effects on my friends from the gases released as it's staff notes and scripts burned.

54 minutes ago, Rrok007 said:

As for Discovery.... with the horrible abortion candidate that mess is railroading into... I wouldn't consider it as source material for a fire-pit because I'd be concerned about the effects on my friends from the gases released as it's staff notes and scripts burned.

The Netflix trailer was for sure very awful.

On 28/06/2017 at 3:25 PM, Sketchpad said:

I kind of hope that FFG do Genre Books that adapt the system beyond the genres in the base book. A book on superheroes would be on the top of my list, as well as maybe a mecha book, or a pulp book. Which genres do you hope may come out after the core book?

I really like RPGs that are almost covered by the five settings in the Genesys core, despite Star Wars:

Dungeons¨&Dragons/Pathfinder/Lord of the Rings/Diablo/World of Warcraft = Fantasy
Cyberpunk 20xx = Modern Day + Science Fiction
Shadowrun = Modern Day + Science Fiction + Fantasy
Starcraft = Science Fiction
Iron Kingdons = Steampunk + Fantasy
Legend of the Five Rings = Fantasy

I don't like, but superheroes would be an amazing complement to Genesys although I think it's easier to convert than everyone is thinking.

Horror: would be covered by Modern Day + probably complementary rules to upgrade the fear system, maybe with sanity and idk.

Western: just a downgrade of Steampunk or full Steampunk in a weirdo version.

Mechas: I believe the vehicle system has already a good amount of information, but I think Weird War will help to cover this with heavy armored stuff and alternative war machines.

Two paths I'm thinking. One is they release the core and specific genre books, like Genesys Space, Genesys Fantasy, Genesys Modern. Two is they go with setting sourcebooks, like Runebound, Android, etc. I'd pege the length of any supplement to be about the same length or a little longer than the Star Wars region books, so 140-200 pages.

For some reason, the latter option seems more likely to me. I think they really want to explore their own IPs, but the resources necessary to develop a full core rulebook for each setting they own is probably more than what they can spare, what with all the other things they work on.

1 hour ago, Blackbird888 said:

Two paths I'm thinking. One is they release the core and specific genre books, like Genesys Space, Genesys Fantasy, Genesys Modern. Two is they go with setting sourcebooks, like Runebound, Android, etc. I'd pege the length of any supplement to be about the same length or a little longer than the Star Wars region books, so 140-200 pages.

For some reason, the latter option seems more likely to me. I think they really want to explore their own IPs, but the resources necessary to develop a full core rulebook for each setting they own is probably more than what they can spare, what with all the other things they work on.

The Corerulebook is ought to cover 5 basic settings already. Hopefully that makes splatbooks redundant. Specific setting books would be preferable and after GenCon I bet my panties it will be Terrinoth.

39 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

The Corerulebook is ought to cover 5 basic settings already. Hopefully that makes splatbooks redundant. Specific setting books would be preferable and after GenCon I bet my panties it will be Terrinoth.

The only exception to this would be a super hero splat book. Although that could be disguised as a generic "super hero setting book". 

Or, fingers crossed, a Marvel setting book. Now that would be AWESOME.

2 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

The only exception to this would be a super hero splat book. Although that could be disguised as a generic "super hero setting book". 

Or, fingers crossed, a Marvel setting book. Now that would be AWESOME.

Super Heroes is actually the only genre not covered in the Genesys Corerulebook, there should be one splatbook for sure, it is a popular genre. Who's holding the Marvel RPG license at the moment? Anybody knows? Last had been MWP, that much I know, but they lost it.

24 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

Super Heroes is actually the only genre not covered in the Genesys Corerulebook, there should be one splatbook for sure, it is a popular genre. Who's holding the Marvel RPG license at the moment? Anybody knows? Last had been MWP, that much I know, but they lost it.

Yeah, they had it last, but let it go...here's what wikipedia says...

In August 2011, Margaret Weis Productions acquired the licence to publish RPG based on Marvel superheroes, and the first book in their series, titled Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game, was released in February 28, 2012.[4] Margaret Weis Productions, however, found that although the game was critically acclaimed, winning two Origins Awards, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying: Civil War "didn’t garner the level of sales necessary to sustain the rest of the line"[5] so they brought the game to a close at the end of April 2013.

I'd prefer a more generic setting rather than a set-in-stone IP like Marvel or DC. Give us the rules necessary to play a Superhero Game, and then let us decide if we want it to be in the Marvel Universe.

Honestly, I've had an idea kicking around for a DC Multiverse game, where the PCs are given well known hero names like Superman, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, Hourman, Dr. Fate, Huntress, or any others. Then the player comes up with what the hero's powers are as long as they fit the theme of the name. Stan Lee sort of did that a decade or so back, and it was cute.

Another tweak would be a more post-apocalyptic game, where most of the original heroes are gone and the PCs are picking up the mantles. They might be normal people until they find something that triggers their abilities. And I would totally cliffhanger one session where one average joe player, bleeding and near death, in a moment of defiance as he/she stands against the big bad guy, is suddenly bathed in green light from above and a voice says "[Character's Name] of Earth, you have the ability to overcome great fear..."

Edited by DarthGM

3 hours ago, DarthDude said:

The Corerulebook is ought to cover 5 basic settings already. 

Well, the core book is going to provide a general, massively abbreviated introduction to 5 different settings. The simply won't  be enough room to cover all the necessary stuff for each and individual GMs will need to do a lot of additional work, or pick up setting books. 

1 hour ago, Forgottenlore said:

Well, the core book is going to provide a general, massively abbreviated introduction to 5 different settings. The simply won't  be enough room to cover all the necessary stuff for each and individual GMs will need to do a lot of additional work, or pick up setting books. 

If it will be a 400 page tome like their average SW corerulebook, you'll easily cover the mechanics, skills/talents, a system for supernatural powers AND weapons/gear. In fact if its called magic, biotics, superpowers, weapons or whatever, the mechanics are nearly the same and thus wouldn't take that much space. The spells had qualities in the Runebound GenCon rounds you also find in weapons. If you have an universial set of (positive and negative) qualities, you can simulate absolutely anything. Open Legend does exactly this in just 140 pages (including vehicles, gears, etc) quite well. So I somehow doubt FFG won't be able to achive the same in thrice as many pages. 

Honestly, if they publish a generic corerulebook, which would be virtually useless without splatbooks, it would be disappointing. Sure, there will be splatbooks to offer additional options and more depth, but the necessary stuff should be expected in the corerulebook.

6 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Price on the display case book at Gencon was $39.95, so I don't think it'll be as beefy as a Star Wars CRB.  Maybe 300ish pages I am betting.

Can't wait till I lay my hands on this book. If the quality is similar to the SW books, it will be a treat. I experienced what Open Legend achieved in 140 pages and I was quite impressed. They truly offer a complete basic rulesset to literally create every imaginable setting (played it, functions perfectly). I am very optimistic that FFG will pull a similar stunt :) 

19 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Price on the display case book at Gencon was $39.95, so I don't think it'll be as beefy as a Star Wars CRB.  Maybe 300ish pages I am betting.

Keep in mind that the Star Wars books are full glorious color which makes them much more expensive then B&W books. If they publish GENESYS in B&W, it could still be about $40 with 400 or more pages. By way of comparison a single hardcover 400 page B&W book published through Lulu is under $26. In bulk, using FFG's printers, it would be much cheaper. 

2 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

It looked fine, but definitely not as thick as a CRB.

So this had actual content and wasn't just two covers with blank pages inbetween? So rather D&D Players Handbook sized?

1 minute ago, DarthDude said:

So this had actual content and wasn't just two covers with blank pages inbetween? So rather D&D Players Handbook sized?

No clue, it was just on display. Like I said, probably 300ish pages which would be about right for FFG's typical prices.