Jump to content
Sketchpad

Genre Books

Recommended Posts

Just now, Desslok said:

That wood splinter from Zombi - GAHHHH! Worst death in horror movies ever! 

(Link for those who haven't seen it. Warning, not safe for work. Also not safe for sanity)

And she gets completly nomnomed by the zombies. Urgh. As far as I can tell the only Fulchi movie without eye mutilation is City of the living dead, and that had a chick vomiting up her own entrails. (Wich is arguably even worse.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, deraforia said:

Well, it does use the 2d20 system, which was designed by the same guy who designed Edge of the Empire :)

I like the FFG system, but the 2D20 system seems more complicated than it needs to be...

Sorry, but based on everything I've seen and read about the new Star Trek Adventures game, I'm not really looking forward to it.  Not a fan of zones, not a fan of overly complex mechanics (just to be overly complex, it seems), and not a fan of Momentum.  However, I'm following this guy's blog posts with serious interest and may still give the core book a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Liscencing - the rights to use certain intellectual properties.  

But I doubt the license PRECLUDES them from using the Kelvin timeline if they wanted to.   It's all owned by Paramount.   And the idea "we can't muck up that timeline because we don't know what they'll do in the next one" argument would be bollocks, as the "prime" timeline they are already in is likely going to be tinkered by ST: Discovery.  Indeed the "prime" timeline is so vast and broad its likely they'll mess up SOMETHINGS along the way - every previous ST RPG did.  I would think it would be easier to narrow their scope and go with the Kelvin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

I like the FFG system, but the 2D20 system seems more complicated than it needs to be...

Sorry, but based on everything I've seen and read about the new Star Trek Adventures game, I'm not really looking forward to it.  Not a fan of zones, not a fan of overly complex mechanics (just to be overly complex, it seems), and not a fan of Momentum.  However, I'm following this guy's blog posts with serious interest and may still give the core book a look.

I didn't get a chance to play (a close friend and group member passed away unexpectedly, which derailed me and us for quite a while), but I did read the playtest files; it didn't seem overly complex to me. It is a bit different, so one has to wrap one's mind around that; but the same goes for FFG's narrative dice system, Fate, Powered by the Apocalypse, or even D&D - if that's not what you're used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scott Bot said:

But I doubt the license PRECLUDES them from using the Kelvin timeline if they wanted to.   It's all owned by Paramount...

Paramount has the license for Star Trek movies. CBS has the rights to Star Trek TV shows and presumably games.  

Cryptic Studios reported that there were issues getting the rights to use anything from the Kelvin timeline in Star Trek Online because of the nature of the licenses. They finally worked it out and got some of the ships into the game, but that only happened in the past year, and the game is on year...7?

Edited by DarthGM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scott Bot said:

And the idea "we can't muck up that timeline because we don't know what they'll do in the next one" argument would be bollocks, as the "prime" timeline they are already in is likely going to be tinkered by ST: Discovery. 

Wait - when the hell did Paramount start giving two ***** about Star Trek continuity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

Paramount has the license for Star Trek movies. CBS has the rights to Star Trek TV shows and presumably games.  

Cryptic Studios reported that there were issues getting the rights to use anything from the Kelvin timeline in Star Trek Online because of the nature of the licenses. They finally worked it out and got some of the ships into the game, but that only happened in the past year, and the game is on year...7?

That's interesting.  Thanks for that info!      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, coyote6 said:

I didn't get a chance to play (a close friend and group member passed away unexpectedly, which derailed me and us for quite a while), but I did read the playtest files; it didn't seem overly complex to me. It is a bit different, so one has to wrap one's mind around that; but the same goes for FFG's narrative dice system, Fate, Powered by the Apocalypse, or even D&D - if that's not what you're used to.

It looks like they are sticking a little to close to the chest of previous ST RPGs.   I think that was a mistake.   They should have wiped the slate clean and started afresh with a narrative system that combines so many disparate elements into a unified, cinematic, faster-play mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the system where I'm going to go and remake/reboot a bunch of games friends and I made back in our high school days (late 80s, early 90s)
Masamune Shirow's "Appleseed" (where we members of the police force of Olympus)
Bubblegum Crisis (members of the American version of the ADPolice - the Heavy Response Police)
Aliens (Colonial Space Marines)
obviously Superheroes...
That's right, FFG... just keep taking my money...

(Ooh, just remembered a short-lived TMNT vs. Terminator game we played)

 

Edited by TXRyanLee
..memories..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TXRyanLee said:

This is the system where I'm going to go and remake/reboot a bunch of games friends and I made back in our high school days (late 80s, early 90s)
Masamune Shirow's "Appleseed" (where we members of the police force of Olympus)
Bubblegum Crisis (members of the American version of the ADPolice - the Heavy Response Police)
Aliens (Colonial Space Marines)
obviously Superheroes...
That's right, FFG... just keep taking my money...

(Ooh, just remembered a short-lived TMNT vs. Terminator game we played)

 

I would be all over a BGC game! Such a great story and fun tech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2017 at 7:16 PM, Scott Bot said:

The new STAR TREK RPG from Modiphius looks very inspired by the narrative dice idea.  Looks to be an awesome game in it's own right, but I wish it covered the new Kelvin timeline.   I can't think of a good reason why it doesn't. 

Because the new movies are hideously bad, perhaps. 

 

Seriously though, Star Trek has gotten so bloated that any serious attempt at an RPG would require massive pruning and retconing to reconcile all the various inconsistencies that you couldn't possibly make enough people happy with it to be worth actually publishing. 

If I were going to try and run a "Star Trek" game, i would probably set it in the Star Fleet Universe of Star Fleet Battles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

If I were going to try and run a "Star Trek" game, i would probably set it in the Star Fleet Universe of Star Fleet Battles. 

FWIW, there are a few versions of that RPG: a d20 Modern version, a d20 version, a GURPS version (4e, but I think there was a 3e version too), and a version that I think is an original system. I thought I had seen a Hero and/or Mongoose Traveller versions, too, but maybe those were just unofficial projects or vaporware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see various licensed material, such as Transformers, but I doubt that will happen. At best we will get a book on giant robots that can change forms.

Other than that we will probably see post apocalyptic, sci-fi, super hero, fantasy, and horror settings. It seems all RPGs that try to have a universal system go for these types of settings.

When it was announced that FF bought Legend of the Five Rings I was really hopping that they would make an RPG for it using this system. It seems doubtful they would use that setting as a secondary source for Genesys. 

I hope they will do some setting books with details about the setting beyond general stats for gear and classes. It would be nice to know more about a world other than generic steampunk. Give us some major players, nations, conflicts, and other info.

Can't wait to see what they roll out for this system. It's a day one buy for me. Speaking of which, do we have any idea when that will be?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coyote6 said:
17 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

If I were going to try and run a "Star Trek" game, i would probably set it in the Star Fleet Universe of Star Fleet Battles. 

FWIW, there are a few versions of that RPG: a d20 Modern version, a d20 version, a GURPS version (4e, but I think there was a 3e version too), and a version that I think is an original system. I thought I had seen a Hero and/or Mongoose Traveller versions, too, but maybe those were just unofficial projects or vaporware. 

Yes, ADB keeps plugging away, trying to make Prime Directive (the SFB RPG) work. I have or have had the original version and the GURPS version. The problem I find is that Steve and company over at ADB have created an excellent wargame in SFB, they really don't seem to have any idea what makes a good RPG. Their art and layout are terrible, they structure their rules like the super precise legalese of their wargames and the writing is dry and lifeless. Plus (and this seems to be a problem with every attempt at a Trek RPG) they absolutely insist on assuming that the PCs are going to be Starfleet personnel on a Federation starship trying to recreate episodes of the show, while what you really want for a RPG party is a group of independent operators not bound to a military hierarchy. Star Trek Firefly instead of Star Trek Delta Force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Can't wait to see what they roll out for this system. It's a day one buy for me. Speaking of which, do we have any idea when that will be?

It does say the forth quarter of 2017, so October-December sometime. However, their statements on the release dates is dependent on outsourced shipping, and sometimes things arrive late, so it could be as late as January.

Optimistically, I'm thinking maybe the US holiday season release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Plus (and this seems to be a problem with every attempt at a Trek RPG) they absolutely insist on assuming that the PCs are going to be Starfleet personnel on a Federation starship trying to recreate episodes of the show, while what you really want for a RPG party is a group of independent operators not bound to a military hierarchy. Star Trek Firefly instead of Star Trek Delta Force.

Why would you want to play a Star Trek RPG and NOT play as Starfleet officers?  You know, like in every single Star Trek series?

If you really want to play independent operators, you can always just play another RPG.  Or create your own using a toolkit.

And you're actually wrong...  FASA had The Klingons, The Romulans, The Orions, and Trader Captains and Merchant Princes.  LUG's DS9 core book allowed you to play militia, freedom fighters, merchants, diplomats, pirates, smugglers, etc.  And one of the main criticisms of Decipher's game (although admittedly I've never messed with it) is its focus on civilian characters over Starfleet characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Other than that we will probably see post apocalyptic, sci-fi, super hero, fantasy, and horror settings. It seems all RPGs that try to have a universal system go for these types of settings.

I hope they will do some setting books with details about the setting beyond general stats for gear and classes. It would be nice to know more about a world other than generic steampunk. Give us some major players, nations, conflicts, and other info.

Ha.  You're absolutely correct about the settings.

However, unlike you, I've always been turned off when large chunks of a book provide the author's own personal vision of a fantasy or sci-fi setting.  GURPS Fantasy's Roman-inspired world, for instance, was LAME.  I'd much rather have seen even more mythological creatures statted out than have to read all about some culture and world I could give two sh*ts about...

(GURPS Horror, on the other hand, handled it perfectly.  Great overviews of different horror "universes" with plenty of statted out creatures and campaign ideas followed by two extremely brief adventure hooks.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×