Sketchpad

Genre Books

55 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Frankly imo we already have one, the World of Android book always struck me as a sourcebook with no mechanics.

I had never heard of this book so I looked it up. Looks interesting, So I ordered it. Thanks for posting about it.

2 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

A book on superheroes would be on the top of my list, as well as maybe a mecha book...

I'd really like to see the FFG equivalent to the GURPS Powers book.  That is if that material isn't going to be covered in the core Genesys book.

Then we can talk supplements and settings.

(I'm already contemplating Transformers, Star Trek, Marvel Micronauts, John Carter, Flash Gordon, and "psionics on the run" a la Scanners, The Fury, Firestarter, and Push.)

Edited by Harlock999

9 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

(I'm already contemplating Transformers, Star Trek, Marvel Micronauts, John Carter, Flash Gordon, and "psionics on the run" a la Scanners, The Fury, Firestarter, and Push.)

mmm... Push. I always wanted to run a game like that.

6 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

I'd really like to see the FFG equivalent to the GURPS Powers book.  That is if that material isn't going to covered in the core Genesys book.

Then we can talk supplements and settings.

Ooh The Fury. That's a good pick.

Transformers is also cool, I'm wondering about balance: What if you have 4 players, one is Prowl, another is Grimlock, a third is Jetfire and the last one wants to play ...Metroplex.

Another thing that always has me worried with generic RPGs: The amount of work that you have to do to stat everything in (let's say) Star Trek.

58 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Ironically, you have no Yamato/Galaxy Express/Captain Harlock on your list.

(Actually thinking on it, a Leiji Matsumoto sourcebook would be kind of badassed!) 

I LOVE Matsumoto's Harlock side of things (e.g., Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Queen Emeraldas, and Galaxy Express 999), but crafting a RPG around some of these concepts could prove ... well, depressing and a bit gloomy.  Ha.  The best thing about Harlock is the fact he's laconic and unpredictable.  And while I might dig some unpredictability from players, I'd want them to work together as a team.  Probably the best bet would be to veer more in the direction of Cosmowarrior Zero where the action takes place on a ship that might encounter the Arcadia, but is centered on a set mission removed from the fight for freedom in the sea of stars...

That said, a Matsumoto sourcebook would indeed be badass!

Edited by Harlock999

57 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Transformers is also cool, I'm wondering about balance: What if you have 4 players, one is Prowl, another is Grimlock, a third is Jetfire and the last one wants to play ...Metroplex.

Another thing that always has me worried with generic RPGs: The amount of work that you have to do to stat everything in (let's say) Star Trek.

First of all, I'd want my players to create their own individualistic 'bots.

Second, I'd like to emulate the approach that writer James Roberts took in IDW's More Than Meets the Eye series or Last Stand of the Wreckers.  Basically, I'd want the team to be no weaker than, say, Tailgate or Swerve and no stronger than, say, Ultra Magnus or Cyclonus.  The thrust would be either space exploration, rescue operations, or colonization, with all of the action taking place away from Earth.

As for Star Trek?  Geezus, I've been playing Trek RPGs since the 80s (I'm just about to hit my mid-40s ... sigh).  So converting FASA or LUG Trek to Genesys shouldn't take too long.  I would hope!  The good thing about Trek is the fact it already has its careers mapped out and color coded.  Heh.

Edited by Harlock999

53 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

mmm... Push. I always wanted to run a game like that.

THIS was the entire reason I bought my 4th edition GURPS books. ;)

If you're really interested in this genre?  The 23rd Letter is a good RPG.  You might also like Psi World (although it's a bit "old fashioned").

EDIT:  Sorry for the deluge of posts.  I'm afraid I'm still completely clueless when it comes to multiple quote attributions in a single post.

Edited by Harlock999

2 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

I'd like to emulate the approach that writer James Roberts took in IDW's More Than Meets the Eye series or the Last Stand of the Wreckers.  Basically, I'd want the team to be no weaker than, say, Tailgate or Swerve and no stronger than, say, Ultra Magnus or Cyclonus.  The thrust would be either space exploration, rescue operations, or colonization, with all of the action taking place away from Earth.

As for Star Trek?  Geezus, I've been playing Trek RPGs since the 80s (I'm just about to hit my mid-40s ... sigh).  So converting FASA or LUG Trek to Genesys shouldn't take too long.  I would hope!  The good thing about Trek is the fact it already has its careers mapped out and color coded.  Heh.  

At least somebody has already statted Trek for other games. If you had to make up all the stuff for a new setting. Still would make for a nice project.

As for transformers I'd go for Blaster if I was allowed to have a bunch of those cassette bots. (They can even be NPCs  for all I care)

The new STAR TREK RPG from Modiphius looks very inspired by the narrative dice idea.  Looks to be an awesome game in it's own right, but I wish it covered the new Kelvin timeline.   I can't think of a good reason why it doesn't. 

Edited by Scott Bot
Fact check

29 minutes ago, Scott Bot said:

The new STAR TREK RPG from Modiphius looks very inspired by the narrative dice idea.  Looks to be an awesome game in it's own right, but I wish it covered the new Kelvin timeline.   I can't think of a good reason why it doesn't. 

Well, it does use the 2d20 system, which was designed by the same guy who designed Edge of the Empire :)

12 hours ago, Scott Bot said:

Liscencing - the rights to use certain intellectual properties.  

As to what I want - Superheroes, specifically a take on the Green Lantern Corps.

Thundercats! - based off of the reboot from a few years ago, which while quite good, got cancelled.

DragonStar - owned by FFG, so why not?

Mass Effect - there is no official tabletop, and that is a shame.

Space Opera/Fantasy - I mean, really, this seems like a no brainer.  

In my fantasy CEOing, because I'm a billionaire with great lawyers that can get me any IP I desire (also, I'm good looking and an unstoppable behemoth with the ladies), I'd see the line do something like this: 

* An old west game, with a page count large enough to cover Spaghetti westerns, more traditional John Wayne westerns and the odd stuff like Brisco County Jr.

* You know, screw that. Brisco gets it's own supplement.

* Ghostbusters. The old WEG game shows that there is loads and loads of mileage to be had with comedy paranormal exterminators. Ghosts, aliens, crazy wizards and witches, dimensiuonal trouble, demons, and of course gods. And Venkman's line of "The franchise rights alone will make us rich" means that the setting is all over the world - New York, sure - but New Orleans for the Voodoo, Salem for the obvious, London because 2,000 years of weird Celtic stuff.

* Doctor Who - you want a game with room to wiggle? Sure we've have the eccentric wanderer with the time machine (and thus all of time and space) to draw on, but there could be a UNIT sourcebook where Humans save earth from the scum of the Galaxy, or a War against the Daleks could have loads of potential. Hell, what about just strange settings like Victorian era has legs.

* Speaking of UNIT, why not an Avengers-ish game (the Mr Steed and Peel Avengers, not the Iron Man and Thor Avengers). You don't necessarily need to licenses the property, but a swinging sixties spy and counterspy sourcebook could be cool. Man from UNCLE, Danger Dibolik, Our Man Fiint, The Prisoner - tons of great material to be inspire from there.

* While we're on the subject of the swinging sixties, and we've already got the Avengers property - why not add Batman 66 into the mix. Sure, we'd get the TV series, but I'm thinking more of the current comic where Adam West teams up with other contemporaries like the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman. So a super hero game that's low powered, colorful, fun and camp.

* How about the flip side of camp: horror. Now we could go the usual Cthulhu mythos or the X-Files, but I'd have my writing department watch a whole bunch of Italian horror - City of the Living Dead, Zombi 2, Tenebrae, A Bay of Blood,  and so on - an endless diet of Giallio movies, and flicks from Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Mario Bava, Umberto Lenzi - and instruct them to write a horror supplement with all that as inspiration.

Whew. And that should carry me and my company for a while.

Edited by Desslok

I don't want dev time bogged down with other IPs, but then again IPs can lead to instant name recognition and ultimately sales.

They don't publish the LOTR or  GoTs RPGs, but they still do the card games, would a sourcebook not including game mechanics step on their other companies RPG license?  No clue, and I wouldn't want it bogged down long, but either of those settings would be fine.

They've got The Witcher boardgame, no clue if that's an option, but it would be a good move.  

Dunno if they're talking with Bethesda, but an Elder Scrolls book would be a good option.

Twilight Imperium seems like an easy option.

Android obviously, pretty much already is.

The End of the World line encapsulated into a post Apocalypse setting.

A super hero game would be fun, dunno if they want to bother with Disney and do Marvel or just go generic, but it would fun.  Probably a Spy setting that allows for some low end super hero stuff might be a good way to go with that.

Lotsa options, some easier than others, but lotsa options.

28 minutes ago, Desslok said:

In my fantasy CEOing, because I'm a billionaire with great lawyers that can get me any IP I desire (also, I'm good looking and an unstoppable behemoth with the ladies), I'd see the line do something like this: 

* How about the flip side of camp: horror. Now we could go the usual Cthulhu mythos or the X-Files, but I'd have my writing department watch a whole bunch of Italian horror - City of the Living Dead, Zombi 2, Tenebrae, A Bay of Blood,  and so on - an endless diet of Giallio movies, and flicks from Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Mario Bava, Umberto Lenzi - and instruct them to write a horror supplement with all that as inspiration.

Whew. And that should carry me and my company for a while.

Okay if we're playing anything based on Lucio Fulci, I'd want armor glass goggles for my character. There's waaaaay to much eye gouging in his movies.  To the point I'd have adversaries test to make normal attacks, otherwise they have to do a called shot to the eyes. :)

25 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Okay if we're playing anything based on Lucio Fulci, I'd want armor glass goggles for my character. There's waaaaay to much eye gouging in his movies.  To the point I'd have adversaries test to make normal attacks, otherwise they have to do a called shot to the eyes. :)

That wood splinter from Zombi - GAHHHH! Worst death in horror movies ever! 

(Link for those who haven't seen it. Warning, not safe for work. Also not safe for sanity)