Richardbuxton

Community Theme Ideas

I will try and create a napoleonic EDO Fantasysetting, with magic as being super-corruptive. The Tech-Level WON'T be Steampunk, but strictly the tech you had in colonial/napoleonic times. 

So yeah expect dwarfs with guillotine guns, elves with rifled longguns, humans with breechloaders and highly disciplined orc mercenary nations who sell their men to the highest bidder, as well as some "original" folks, like Tapirs walking on two feet.

I want to do this mostly because I want some freedom from historic settings in that Tech-Level and I want to create my own problems between nations, races and religions, and EDO+ seems to be a nice idea. Especially because I want to break some of the EDO stereotypes.

On 28.6.2017 at 5:59 AM, Blackbird888 said:

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Fire Emblem, and some other J-RPGs. I'm curious to see how this handles magic/powers. Honestly, I really like how the Force dice work in concept, so it apparently being dropped is kind of a bummer.

I might also try Destiny, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid.

No particular setting, but a magical girl-esque game somewhere between Sailor Moon and Lyrical Nanoha would be interesting, although the flying and giant laser beams in the latter may be a bit hard to replicate.

I have some original science fiction ideas that I'd like play around with (though Age of Rebellion/Edge of the Empire as written are general enough that they would work). I also tried my own hand at making a non-magical fantasy game once upon a time, so I might go back and look at that again.

If you want help with those bold marked ones, feel free to PM me.

Also, might I suggest Borderlands?

Edited by TheMOELANDER

I'm so excited by the huge breadth of ideas everyone is having. I'll throw one more in: a vanilla High Fantasy Theme. Something other GM's can use in worlds they have already created, something that can easily take material from 300lb gorilla game systems and run it. I want to see a DnD/Pathfinder Theme! Eberon to Ravenloft to Tomb of Horrors.

Is it possible? Maybe, we just have to wait and see what the rules look like.

For myself games i would like to run in this system  would be:-

Mass effect

Stargate SG1

Post apocalyptic/fallout

Superheros

I would also like to try my hand at Generation One Transformers. I think with a bit of work by the gm and the similarity between personal and planetary scales work make this achievable. 

1 minute ago, Deadsun said:

For myself games i would like to run in this system  would be:-

Mass effect

Stargate SG1

Post apocalyptic/fallout

Superheros

I would also like to try my hand at Generation One Transformers. I think with a bit of work by the gm and the similarity between personal and planetary scales work make this achievable. 

I've seen a lot of folks wanting to do a Transformers game with Genesys...

Neat!

I was thinking Transformers was doable with Age of Rebellion before this was announced. The real trick was how do you handle the transforming? and do you handle movement on personal or planetary scale? Of course, the vehicle rules being underwhelming doesn't help in a setting where you play vehicles is also kind of a bummer.

Another couple of settings that may work is Castlevania, especially with the animated Netflix series coming out next month, and Fullmetal Alchemist. Of course, we'll have to see how they handle powers/magic to be entirely sure.

3 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

I was thinking Transformers was doable with Age of Rebellion before this was announced. The real trick was how do you handle the transforming? and do you handle movement on personal or planetary scale? Of course, the vehicle rules being underwhelming doesn't help in a setting where you play vehicles is also kind of a bummer.

That's the rub; it's going to take some thinking to ponder out that one.  Because some humans got hit by Transformers the size of Rumble and Bumblebee and were hurt, but survived.  Meanwhile if Megatron or Starscream stomped them or even backhanded a human; red paste would ensue.

1 minute ago, Blackbird888 said:

I figured a way to keep that to a minimum is to restrict it to Transformers only, but not everyone would go for that.

I don't see why not; it's a Transformers game, who'd want to play something else?

...unless you want to start playing the Revolution storyline IDW is putting out.

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

It makes it easier if you think of the Bayformers movies as not being Transformers and more Go-Bots.

I dunno... I can usually tell the go-bots apart. Only good thing that came out of Bay's *** is dinobot-knights. (and that's just the toys.)

While it might be somewhat of a jerk move, I recently got my copy of Predation from Monte Cook Games, using the Cypher System. While there's something about the system that doesn't appeal to me in general (no slights against it though), I might adapt the setting to Genesys.

9 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

While it might be somewhat of a jerk move, I recently got my copy of Predation from Monte Cook Games, using the Cypher System. While there's something about the system that doesn't appeal to me in general (no slights against it though), I might adapt the setting to Genesys.

I do love the ninth world setting, and this would fit a game like this.

1 hour ago, syrath said:

got a bit of a left field suggestion - Forgotten Realms

I ran two campaigns at the same time. (EOTE beginner box & D&D5e Beginner Box) Loved the Narrative system, but I didn't like the rules for 5e so I was working on converting Lost Mines of Phandelver to the system. Orcs as Gamorreans etc. I was going to have Abeir-Toril as a planet in Wild Space with force user thought of as Wizards & Warlocks. Now with Genesys on the way, I'll most likely use that to run the 5e Campaigns. 

A good steampunk setting has appeal, and considering the write up in the description, I imagine there will be core material for it.

I like the Weird War also, it has similar appeal to Steampunk, thinking of Hellboy for that specifically.

A Superheroes setting, but keeping it on the low edge of power.  Maybe up to Spider-Man level, but not Superman.

A Mad Max world I think would rock.

A Sword Art Online universe could be great and might truly use all of the options a 'generic' system has to offer.  A game-realm (inside the game) and you make your character as you want.  Likely would have different areas with differing tech levels and magic use.  Final Fantasy comes to mind for such a mix.  Biggest issue is that there isn't necessarily the threat of danger, if it's actually a game.  Unless, like sin SAO, dying has real consequences.

Full on, Children of the Gods (eg. American Gods) setting in modern times.