Richardbuxton

Community Theme Ideas

187 posts in this topic

I'm sure this will be a common topic here, but let's get things started on a general discussion. This is not necessarily things you hope FFG will make so much as ideas you want to flesh out yourselves.

What cool ideas are already brewing in your heads? What awesome stuff do you feel like sharing? 

Personally I have 3 children so Harry Potter, Lego Batman Movie or Lego Movie and something Narnia related are all churning in my mind. I think they would enjoy Supers too

But Warhammer Quest (actually Hero Quest but it's a gateway drug) was my first love, followed by WFB and WFRP, so I'm chomping at the bit to bring Narrative Dice 2.0 to the Old World. I'm interested to see what magic systems FFG present and how I can bring Corruption into it

Fallout (1&2) was also hugely influential to me, so looking forward to what @DarthGM gives us.

Finally there's The Wheel of Time, most enjoyed series (that's actually finished). I own a WoT RPG that's adapted d20, but it never resonated, I think GeneSys would be far better.

but I'll never get time to play all that, so I just get to speculate for now.

All right.

• Android universe. FFG will probably jump on this right quick, but I don't think I can wait.
  • Star Trek.
  • Destiny.
  • Sword Art Online-inspired game wherein the players are playing players playing characters in a VRRPG who are trapped in the game. However, dying in the game just means you respawn at your guild hall or hang around as a ghost or something, so I guess it's more like Log Horizon.
  • A steampunk samurai game. (This might get easier if the L5R RPG uses this system, which it's pretty much guaranteed to do at this point, so.)
  • I know one of the devs was "joking" when he talked about a magical girl game, but I've got one for Fate CORE, and it would probably do pretty well in Genesys. Depends on how robust those archetypes are.
  • Some Metal Gear Solid ripoff, though I'll probably just do a straight adaptation of their "weird war" theme.

There will be more, but that's all I've been able to come up with since I heard about the release. (For reference, that was about six hours ago for me.)

Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Fire Emblem, and some other J-RPGs. I'm curious to see how this handles magic/powers. Honestly, I really like how the Force dice work in concept, so it apparently being dropped is kind of a bummer.

I might also try Destiny, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid.

No particular setting, but a magical girl-esque game somewhere between Sailor Moon and Lyrical Nanoha would be interesting, although the flying and giant laser beams in the latter may be a bit hard to replicate.

I have some original science fiction ideas that I'd like play around with (though Age of Rebellion/Edge of the Empire as written are general enough that they would work). I also tried my own hand at making a non-magical fantasy game once upon a time, so I might go back and look at that again.

Android/L5R crossover.

The clans are megacorporations with vast influence. 

Probably replace Magic with technomancy and such.

Image is everything with the Imperial throne always watching.

The shadowlands are clones and genetic experiments from a war long ago.

I was just starting to work on a document to port the system to a Blade Runner meets Aliens meets The Expanse feel with some story concepts from Jupiter Ascending and Traveler RPG, my own take on a play it forward a couple hundred-ish years history time line using real events, likely geopolitics, real people, places, company names, etc.  I planned on starting it off fall/end of the year, or Q4.  So this is a pleasant announcement and saves me a lot of work likely.

Richardbuxton likes this

I was sitting around on my lunch break today thinking about how much I'd love to play Dark Heresy again, but really dread the idea of going back to that clunky outdated system when I'm so used to EotE. Warhammer 40k in this system would be super cool, it'd map really well to the narrative dice mechanics.

Imagine the triumph/despair options for Psychic Power rolls!

Modern day setting, mixing up the concepts of Watch_Dogs, Hitman, the Night Manager (TV version, not book), Strike Back, and the first two Daniel Craig Bond films. 

Players are a team of agents, either freelance or on the agency's books, taking down a Quantum styled consortium who have infiltrated business and government. Fully deniable, self funded after a point with what they can recover from their enemies (within reason). 

The main reason is I'm a shameless fan of those properties and I think that you can do a lot of interesting things with this system and a world where weapons aren't openly carried. I like the notion of information connectivity as a weapon too, so you can engage a tech type player with relevant challenges and obstacles. 

So that's where I'd be heading. 

Richardbuxton likes this

I might try to port my homebrewed Halo game (appropriately enough, it was originally designed around the roll and keep mechanics of L5R) over, though I'd want to see how lethal this system can be.

Rrok007 likes this

Oh yes; the Fallout theme is coming.  Mind you, it'll be weighed more towards Fallout 4 than Fallout 1 and 2, but it should adapt just fine...

Other Themes being worked on are Dresden Files, Earthdawn, Battletech, and The Wizarding World. 

My focus is to get Fallout ready to drop on the day the book is available to the public. 

I lamented to my group after playtesting concluded that I never got a chance to run a Legend of Zelda or Naruto adventure.

Richardbuxton likes this

Gate or Titans grave?

I have this hankering for post-apocalyptic games one involves a variation of the movie Timeline meets Stargate and the Thirteenth Warrior where a group of regular folk accidentally pass through an artefact sending them to what appears another world.

Whilst there they encounter a Norse community defending against a rival group of Bear totem cannibals.

Meanwhile they manage to send word back but one of the remaining personnel alerts the US of their discovery and they stage a raid stealing the artefact and destroying what's left of the facility to cover their tracks.

This seals up their exit from this other world stranding those who wasn't caught trying to return back through the artefact after contact was lost.

The stranded group discover they're still on Earth just 1500 or so years later after an apocalyptic disaster which may have been caused by the artefact being used improperly as what remains of the American continent is a smoking volcanic cinder.

Too much?

Richardbuxton and Suneisha like this

Posted (edited)

Bring back warhmmer fantasy and 40k.

Cthulhu... I'm wondering if FFG hasn't this one planned already.

Weird War II (Already have an idea for combining the French resistance with the Beast of Gevaudan.)

I'm gonna do a modern horror one where you have to survive in what's basically a slasher/horror movie. Would be interesting seeing how normal people would react when they are camping in the Woods and get chased by a dude in a hockey mask.

Edited by Robin Graves
Suneisha and Glorious Chief like this

3 hours ago, kaosoe said:

I lamented to my group after playtesting concluded that I never got a chance to run a Legend of Zelda or Naruto adventure.

You playtested? Do you think the system could handle something like Naruto, or can you not say?

36 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

You playtested? Do you think the system could handle something like Naruto, or can you not say?

It was something I wanted to playtest.

Posted (edited)

I see a couple of mentions of Destiny and that makes me happy.

I had been thinking about making a Destiny hack even before this was announced, although my plans make liberal use of the Force die which this will lack.

Edited by Revanchist7

I've been a generic system fan for a long time. I've owned (and played) The D6 system, Champions/Hero 4th - 6th, GURPS, and Savage Worlds off the top of my head. I've played a ton of my own stuff, and I know it doesn't matter, but I'll certainly be redoing some of my old material, but personally I'd like to work on: 

Disney's Gargoyles 

X files

Cowboy Bebop/Firefly

Star Wars.. no, wait.. that's taken. :P 

Biker Mice From Mars

Dresden files/Urban Mage/Dr Strange level stuff

Transhuman space conversion or just a generic Transhuman game

Stargate

Dragonballz

Game of Thrones (the social combat side of the SWRPG that I've seen would certainly help maintain this feel, maybe do something where you can push the lethality a bit in game).

Nam (china Beach meets Tour of Duty)

Bubble Gum Crisis 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (like from Palladium, but without the system)

LOL, well, Rifts then, for that matter.

Pirates... of Darkwater, The Caribbean, of Penzance.. Heck even a push for 7th sea, or the WizKids Constructible Card game...

Robotech/Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

Redwall

Really, that's it off the top of my head.

Daeglan, copperbell, Rrok007 and 1 other like this

I also wonder what this will do to the Edge of the Kingdom fan made game... Will they continue working on their game, or will they bring it in line with the new generic system? 

15 hours ago, DarthGM said:

Oh yes; the Fallout theme is coming.  Mind you, it'll be weighed more towards Fallout 4 than Fallout 1 and 2, but it should adapt just fine...

Other Themes being worked on are Dresden Files, Earthdawn, Battletech, and The Wizarding World. 

My focus is to get Fallout ready to drop on the day the book is available to the public. 

I'm not sure who you are because like any right minded, free thinking person I have never, and will never, listen to the Order 66 podcast, but...

I'm surprised you'd favour Fallout 4. I still haven't finished the game, because unlike F1, 2 and NV, it didn't feel right to me as a roleplayer. Being able to take Nick or Strong on the Prydwen broke the immersion for me - if you think about how much difficulty players like Myron or Marcus brought you in Fallout 2, blocking off towns to your player unless your reputaton was high enough, based on companions , it's a big step downwards. In my view, of course.

Anyway, I mean, I'm glad a Fallout RPG is still quite doable in this system, and I would say "congrats on 100 game-changing, player-and-GM-improving episodes" if I knew what I was talking about.

Just promise me the Blade Runner .223 pistol has been statted. :D

I think they should for right now stay with their IP, I myself would love to see a Re-vamp of Dawnforge, Midnight setting and my favorite would been Dragonstar. I would stay away from licensed Properties as they would have to get approval for the books which one of the reason why it takes so long for them to send the books to get published.

Rakaydos and Richardbuxton like this