gdotbat

So is this the lazy answer to more FFG RPG's?

Can one of you folks who is creating a custom talent tree actually post some examples that you're using?  (particularly DarthDude with something inspired by Conan 2d20).  Probably wouldn't hurt to make it a new thread.

A couple things to wrestle with (I say, since I'm also wrestling) is integrating the slow but intended progression of strain, wounds, even soak among the talents.  The Star Wars game made the assumption that you'd increase at least some of them above base values.  If you're not planning to include them as talents (and I'll admit they're really boring talents) then those stats need to progress some other way or the balance with Genesys creatures will likely be thrown off to varying degrees.

The problem with having too many trees, too many thematic groups, or a tree for every single skill, etc. is that point costs just to make a character with a reasonable breadth of knowledge becomes prohibitively expensive.

I have to admit that the thing that keeps me from starting down the road to building something is pure fear that I'll be far, far down that road before I see the dead end coming.  I don't want to break Genesys before I, you know, actually get to read it.

Edited by Dragonshadow

I just use OggDude's app and made them in there for my fantasy game.  Made a tree for the races as a kind of 'root' career/archetype and then threw out a buncha ideas I had for specs and asked them all to look, ask me what they thought, and then I made trees for what they picked as opposed to doing everything.

OggDude's app requires some typing to input data and make things look pretty, but I am hardly a fan of that and I was able to knock out plenty.

A partial rough draft of my Djinn tree.  I tweaked paths and what not on them, but it gives an idea of what it looks like spit out from OggDude's app.  

1bPTFIm.jpg

An rough example of a spell idea for the Fortune school of magic.

9FrGcOb.jpg

I think it's my company's internet policy.  All I see is the jpg file names without a link.  It came up fine on my phone using 4G.  Sorry 'bout that.

Looking over the Djinn talent tree, it seems in keeping with existing FFG Star Wars.  That's fine, and may wind up being what I do, but I was hoping to see some alternative structures more in line with DarthDude's Conan example, but anticipating Genesys.  As Forgottenlore phrased it "shrubs instead of trees"

Edited by Dragonshadow

Oh yeah?  I can already see the book for Android/Netrunner, and it would not surprise me if there are plans (regardless of how far along they are) to do a Genesys book for virtually every product they have available and do at least a secondary core rulebook for it.  I haven't seen the Genesys book (except for the beta) nor have I seen the "core rulebook" that adds rules for running Genesys for Android/Netrunner.  It would not bother me one bit to see (for instance) a RPG "core" rulebook for "Runebound" or "X Com" or "Twilight Imperium", or any other game they produce.  This sounds, to me, (and I've been a "GURPS GM" for =many= years), a way to have one rule system to use for most of their products.  I, for instance own virtually every GURPS book made - from "Man to Man" to the present 4th edition.  It would be very nice if someone else did this for their offerings.  I can almost 'taste' the RPG for "Twilight Imperium" now....

38 minutes ago, gurpsgm said:

Oh yeah?  I can already see the book for Android/Netrunner, and it would not surprise me if there are plans (regardless of how far along they are) to do a Genesys book for virtually every product they have available and do at least a secondary core rulebook for it.  I haven't seen the Genesys book (except for the beta) nor have I seen the "core rulebook" that adds rules for running Genesys for Android/Netrunner.  It would not bother me one bit to see (for instance) a RPG "core" rulebook for "Runebound" or "X Com" or "Twilight Imperium", or any other game they produce.  This sounds, to me, (and I've been a "GURPS GM" for =many= years), a way to have one rule system to use for most of their products.  I, for instance own virtually every GURPS book made - from "Man to Man" to the present 4th edition.  It would be very nice if someone else did this for their offerings.  I can almost 'taste' the RPG for "Twilight Imperium" now....

Thats the GURPS Transhuman book you've been licking. Please put the book down and take a step back, people are starting to give you questioning looks. :blink:

4 hours ago, lyinggod said:

Thats the GURPS Transhuman book you've been licking. Please put the book down and take a step back, people are starting to give you questioning looks. :blink:

And there you go having me wonder if Genesys could out-Eclipse-Phase Eclipse Phase.