Jump to content
gdotbat

So is this the lazy answer to more FFG RPG's?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

From the looks of things, you probably can.  I would hazard the the symbol distribution is going to be the same as what's on the SW dice, with just the nature of the symbols changing due to the nature of the product.

That and given that overall the dice mechanic has proven to accomplish what fFG wanted it to, it doesn't really make sense to reinvent the wheel when all you need to do is put a bit of air in the tires.

Plus, and this is not insignificant - we can read and interpret the symbols reflexively. It's not a terminal issue to have to learn new symbols, but it is just easier to pick up SW dice, throw them and say "right, 2 success, 3 threat, 1 triumph".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Warhammer Fantasy RPG 3rd edition was one of the most amazing RPGs ever designed. Revolutionary. It crashed and burned for various reasons (including a massive sabotage campaign by 1st and 2nd edition Warhammer fans who couldn't stand change...). Star Wars RPG came out of the ashes, and has been a huge success. Maybe due to the lack of angry Warhammer grognards, I don't know.

Either way, really looking forward to this. And if they release source books for Legend of the 5 Rings and Android, even better.

My only wish would be if I could reuse some of my WHFRPG stuff. Not super keen on buying a ton of new dice and wound cards when I already have a ton. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 8:12 PM, gdotbat said:

So rather than creating setting specific RPG's using the narrative system, like Runewars (fantasy), Arkham Horror, or Android, they just create a generic rulebook and make us fill in the theme? Because that's what it seems like to me. Am I looking at this wrong?

Well IMO you are wrong about it being "lazy" but you are right about it being the design method for the system. Personally I think this is the best way to release a generic or house system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randeth said:

Well IMO you are wrong about it being "lazy" but you are right about it being the design method for the system. Personally I think this is the best way to release a generic or house system.

Well, when I initially posed the question not only did I not read the entire article, but I was under the impression that this was it. Kind of like a "Here you go, here's our rule set, go forth and make your own games and settings."

Now that it's clear that’s not it, and they are going to publish additional books with specific settings and what not, it makes me feel a whole lot better about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 5:54 PM, gdotbat said:

Well, when I initially posed the question not only did I not read the entire article, but I was under the impression that this was it. Kind of like a "Here you go, here's our rule set, go forth and make your own games and settings."

Now that it's clear that’s not it, and they are going to publish additional books with specific settings and what not, it makes me feel a whole lot better about this.

I actually don't need much else. My two core players are really good with choosing flavor over hard rules, and have loved the star wars system with me. I'm super glad to get rules to use the system with other settings/genres.  Now to make a write up of my space opera steampunk game I want to roll with this. Treasure Planet forever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gallows said:

This is the first generic rpg with rules I really like, so I'm glad they took this approach, because the settings we like playing have already been made and we don't really care for new settings.

Genre books with optional rules might be helpful (sanity, supers, etc). Though this depends on how versatile the system truly is. When looking at the touch of magic article the system could be so modular that you virtually can build any effect out of a pool of qualities/talents/etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dlw32 said:

Assuming they're serious about the system, there should be genre books forth coming... 

They are serious about this. Look how they spoil us with Genesys news up to the point, where I say: "enough!" The already published more than half of the written content in their several news articles! :D 

I guess if Genesys is well received by the fanbase, the community will fill the holes with homemade settings they already publish in this forum many months before any official FFG splat book will be anounced. Which , by the way is not negative, if the system is indeed that versatile that no additional rulebooks are essential in fact.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember when we had the time to learn a bazillion different systems for the variety of games we wanted to play? And had the time and mental bandwidth to keep all the rules straight?

No?  Me neither.

I think that was back in the 90s for me when I was playing D&D 3rd Edition, Rifts, TMNT And other Strangeness, WEG Star Wars, FASERIP Marvel Super Heroes, and Mechwarrior. Oh, and Mekton, Shadowrun, and Earthdawn.

But then I was in college, and should have been studying instead of playing all those games. These days I am much more interested in learning one or two systems and using those systems to play the variety of settings I want to play in. That's where this, Savage Worlds, and FATE all come into their own. One rules set, a thousand different games.  That's my future of gaming at any rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

But then I was in college, and should have been studying instead of playing all those games. These days I am much more interested in learning one or two systems and using those systems to play the variety of settings I want to play in. That's where this, Savage Worlds, and FATE all come into their own. One rules set, a thousand different games.  That's my future of gaming at any rate.

That's my hope in Genesys. I seek a robust generic system, whith whom I can realize homebrew stuff. A system, that is highly versatile. So far they did everything right from my perspective (just longing for some overdue infos about the organization of talents).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm at session 4?  I think...in my fantasy take on this, and don't have the CRB or any supplemental materials yet and it's going just fine.  I'm just using Forgotten Realms as the setting but that's not relevant.  

Everyone need only play some SW and learn how the mechanics work and then DL OggDude's app from the SW site and once you get to playing around with it they will quickly realize how easy it is to create your own setting.  That app of his requires some data input for custom stuff, but the bottom line is you can create career/spec trees as well as, use the Force power ones for spells or supplemental custom compound Skill/Talent creations.

I'm looking to the CRB and any supplemental books I might buy as sources for inspiration, as well as, any new unique additions to the base rule set.  For instance I am interested in reading about the Concentration Maneuver.

Any GMs waiting for the books to get started are wasting time and they could be working on their campaign right now.  The basic mechanics can be had from the SW system and an understanding of that is all that's needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Any GMs waiting for the books to get started are wasting time and they could be working on their campaign right now.  The basic mechanics can be had from the SW system and an understanding of that is all that's needed.

Well, we're still not sure how classes and specialities are integrated in GN.

Though, I personally think, they will be pretty much be as in the SWRP.

We can build our world/systems/universes now, but we can't create any detailled rule-based stuff yet.

Not that we aren't drafting anything already, aye. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really hoping there’s a robust Disease and Insanity system baked in. It would be fairly simple for me to rewrite the Crit tables and then come up with rules for when to roll on them, even talents that influence the rolls. But my preference is always to use the RAW systems.

Im working on the basics of a Fantasy Post Apocalypse setting. Think of a High Fantasy setting with magical items and powerful spells but then destroy civilisation and go. I’m still imagining the actual cause of destruction, I’m torn between Zombies, Disease/Plague, and a Magic Cataclysm. Currently the Disease option the choice, but I’m considering a twist in the story being the dead rising.

The objective is to get a The Walking Dead feeling through the game whilst human interaction and survival like Fallout is maintained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hugh Salamando Filth said:

Well, we're still not sure how classes and specialities are integrated in GN.

Though, I personally think, they will be pretty much be as in the SWRP.

We can build our world/systems/universes now, but we can't create any detailled rule-based stuff yet.

Not that we aren't drafting anything already, aye. xD

Me neither on classes, so I made my own, which was simple with OggDudes app, plus I personally feel the whole career/class/spec thing is actually going to be more fluid and vary from setting to setting.

We already know the basic dice pool combat flow is the same from what was posted at Gencon, so we don't need to make much of anything rules based.  Also, why would it be necessary to wait for the published materials to create something of our own anyway? 

Edited by 2P51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarthGM said:

Remember when we had the time to learn a bazillion different systems for the variety of games we wanted to play? And had the time and mental bandwidth to keep all the rules straight?

No?  Me neither.

I may not have had the time to do it but sweet Jesus did we have systems... From days long past (1979 on): D&D (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Oriental, etc), WEG Torg,  Shatterzone, Masterbook, FASA Star Trek, D6 Star Wars, Paranoia, Twilight 2000, Top Secret, Top Secret SI, Call of Cthulhu, ICE Middle Earth, GURPs (never really a fan), Vampire, L5R, MERP, Alternity, Earthdawn, Traveler, DC Heroes, Space Master, Role Master... And more recently: 13th Age, Fate, Pathfinder, Torg Eternity, Marvel Heroic, Savage Worlds... 

And that's the ones I remember playing off the top of my head... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dlw32 said:

I may not have had the time to do it but sweet Jesus did we have systems... From days long past (1979 on): D&D (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Oriental, etc), WEG Torg,  Shatterzone, Masterbook, FASA Star Trek, D6 Star Wars, Paranoia, Twilight 2000, Top Secret, Top Secret SI, Call of Cthulhu, ICE Middle Earth, GURPs (never really a fan), Vampire, L5R, MERP, Alternity, Earthdawn, Traveler, DC Heroes, Space Master, Role Master... And more recently: 13th Age, Fate, Pathfinder, Torg Eternity, Marvel Heroic, Savage Worlds... 

And that's the ones I remember playing off the top of my head... 

And, my friend, you of all people should know how much I’ve been longing for the One System to Rule Them All!  I’m hoping Genesys is it, and am willing to work with it until our group is pleased with the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Me neither on classes, so I made my own, which was simple with OggDudes app, plus I personally feel the whole career/class/spec thing is actually going to be more fluid and vary from setting to setting.

We already know the basic dice pool combat flow is the same from what was posted at Gencon, so we don't need to make much of anything rules based.  Also, why would it be necessary to wait for the published materials to create something of our own anyway? 

True enough.

 

47 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

I’m really hoping there’s a robust Disease and Insanity system baked in. It would be fairly simple for me to rewrite the Crit tables and then come up with rules for when to roll on them, even talents that influence the rolls. But my preference is always to use the RAW systems.

Yea, this is needed.

I love WH40k's Corruption and Insanity, and similar mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dragonshadow said:

And, my friend, you of all people should know how much I’ve been longing for the One System to Rule Them All!  I’m hoping Genesys is it, and am willing to work with it until our group is pleased with the results.

Mine has been HERO/Champions since 1985. But I could use a lighter game in my twilight years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hugh Salamando Filth said:

I love WH40k's Corruption and Insanity, and similar mechanics.

They'll probably have a Cthulhu sanity mechanic at some point but I'm really hopeful for a corruption or alignment mechanic. Morality in F&D was okay but it felt pretty weird trying to apply it to non-Force users. Some properly defined rules for all of this stuff would be a dream come true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Popdart said:

They'll probably have a Cthulhu sanity mechanic at some point but I'm really hopeful for a corruption or alignment mechanic. Morality in F&D was okay but it felt pretty weird trying to apply it to non-Force users. Some properly defined rules for all of this stuff would be a dream come true.

It seems to me that it will be unlikely that there will be a Sanity type mechanic in the core Genesys book. This is fairly specific mechanic to a specific type of horror sub-genre. I think that, if they create one, it will be in a horror genre book as there are numerous other horror sub-genres that don't use Sanity such as those covered by most of that exemplified by the World of Darkness RPGs, Chill RPG, Buffy-verse, Monster Hunters, Zombies, and the various "Monsters in the Shadows" novels and RPG's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dlw32 said:

I may not have had the time to do it but sweet Jesus did we have systems... From days long past (1979 on): D&D (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Oriental, etc), WEG Torg,  Shatterzone, Masterbook, FASA Star Trek, D6 Star Wars, Paranoia, Twilight 2000, Top Secret, Top Secret SI, Call of Cthulhu, ICE Middle Earth, GURPs (never really a fan), Vampire, L5R, MERP, Alternity, Earthdawn, Traveler, DC Heroes, Space Master, Role Master... And more recently: 13th Age, Fate, Pathfinder, Torg Eternity, Marvel Heroic, Savage Worlds... 

And that's the ones I remember playing off the top of my head... 

An impressive list. I have played since around 85 and admitingly nearly exlusively D&D from 1ed on with a bit Warhammer 1st and 2nd edition, wee bit MERP and Dark Eye. Just recently I opened up for newer systems like Conan 2D20, Coriolis, Tales from the Loop, 13th age, Mongoose Traveller and of course FFG SW. But most of the time we play 5e as my group feels most comfortably (having not played any other system in years), we are so to say one trick ponies :D Out of necessity, we are getting old and the time is way too scarce for learning and playing dozens of new systems. If one fits the bill for all systems, it would be a dream come true.

Besides my greatest question, talents, I wonder if Genesys will have any mass combat rules.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...