gdotbat

So is this the lazy answer to more FFG RPG's?

So rather than creating setting specific RPG's using the narrative system, like Runewars (fantasy), Arkham Horror, or Android, they just create a generic rulebook and make us fill in the theme? Because that's what it seems like to me. Am I looking at this wrong?

In the Science Fiction section of the announcement, they mention the Android Setting. It also says," Keep your eyes out for future supplemental material that will provide in-depth guides to additional settings!" Personally, I've wanted a generic system using the dice for a while now. I don't think this is lazy. They will publish specific RPG settings. Until then play in whatever setting you want or make something up. This is a good thing...A great thing!

Edited by TheSourceHD

I think after playing with the narrative system in the Star Wars books, a lot of people (myself included) really wanted a generic system which uses the narrative dice.  Much like savage worlds, when you have the core rules in place, the door is wide open for both "official" and "fanmade" settings which are endless.  The star wars IP limited FFG as to what they could and couldn't do with material.  With this Genesys system, they can provide much more support in the digital realm for GMs and players which would be awesome.

I can't wait to see what floodgate this book opens :)  

Other than the complaints about the actual dice themselves the biggest problem I have heard people having with FFG SWRPG is "they are just having a money grab with 3 identical core rule books" Obviously it's not that true, but this is a great way to avoid that in the future. 

Once you buy the core book you can get any of the supplements that interest you without purchasing the same rules sections over again. It will also allow them to create RPG material for games which would perhaps not have sold a core book all that well. The effort required for writing one of these Theme books will be far less than rewriting and editing an entire core book. As a player/GM I'm far more likely to buy an Android Theme book for a system I already own, but I doubt I would have purchased an entire core book with rules I have in at least 4 other books (EotE, AoR, FaD, G)

7 hours ago, gdotbat said:

So rather than creating setting specific RPG's using the narrative system, like Runewars (fantasy), Arkham Horror, or Android, they just create a generic rulebook and make us fill in the theme? Because that's what it seems like to me. Am I looking at this wrong?

Yes, for starters you're avoiding adverbs. ;)

This is a smart move for them to take an acclaimed system and distribute it away from the restrictions of franchises. They have a built in audience in the SWRPG crowd, and those who aren't Star Wars fans are weird and not worth talking to or about will still know the system by reputation.

Commerically and creatively this is a great call. 

Given the complaining that Richardbuxton mentioned about "I have to buy 3 core rulebooks instead of just one!", I can't help but wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing people complain about having to buy two books (corebook and setting-based supplement) to play the game they want.

Some folks are just hell bent on being miserable I guess :rolleyes:

Of course, given the huge number of system hacks I've seen for games like Savage Worlds and FATE, I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole slew of fan supplements for various settings that FFG's not likely to even touch.  Technically, DarthGM's beat them all to the punch with his "Edge of the Fallout" conversion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Phil web-publishes a more polished version of that conversion once he's got his hands on the final version of the Genesys rules.

2 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Of course, given the huge number of system hacks I've seen for games like Savage Worlds and FATE, I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole slew of fan supplements for various settings that FFG's not likely to even touch.  Technically, DarthGM's beat them all to the punch with his "Edge of the Fallout" conversion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Phil web-publishes a more polished version of that conversion once he's got his hands on the final version of the Genesys rules.

Many of the writers for Star Wars, and now Genesys, have a history of work in a host of games, including starting their own (or trying). I can easily see sourcebooks for these settings being brought to Genesys. And would make sense, since a couple of the writers were fans of Savage Worlds. (I couldn't get into the system.)

On a side note, I guess I can stop working on my Fantasy Conversion for Star Wars. :D

3 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Of course, given the huge number of system hacks I've seen for games like Savage Worlds and FATE, I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole slew of fan supplements for various settings that FFG's not likely to even touch.  Technically, DarthGM's beat them all to the punch with his "Fallout: Edge of the Wasteland" conversion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Phil web-publishes a more polished version of that conversion once he's got his hands on the final version of the Genesys rules.

Prepare to not be surprised! :D

(and fixed it for you) ;)

I've played a generic system for most of my gaming career (Hero).  I'm thrilled to have one using the FFG narrative dice.  It's less cumbersome then Hero, but I think gives more potential for story and flavor then something like Savage Worlds.  I've been hoping FFG would do this because sometimes I like Star Wars and Sci Fi, but I've been craving a chance to try some other genres, and have grown tired of the math in Hero.  Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't have the time or inclination to learn a new set of rules every time I switch genres, so this is a perfect fit. 

21 minutes ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I am sure we can use our SW dice but my hang ups would probably make me buy 4 sets of these dice. I am weird that way. 

I've always wanted a generic set of the Narrative dice, so I'll be getting a few sets. I have noticed that the symbols on the dice are placed differently on the Ability, Proficiency, Difficulty and challenge die. We won't know if the dice are the same until we can actually count the symbols or FFG lets us know.

4 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Can't I just use my SW dice? :)

From the looks of things, you probably can.  I would hazard the the symbol distribution is going to be the same as what's on the SW dice, with just the nature of the symbols changing due to the nature of the product.

That and given that overall the dice mechanic has proven to accomplish what fFG wanted it to, it doesn't really make sense to reinvent the wheel when all you need to do is put a bit of air in the tires.

10 hours ago, civviewarrior20 said:

Read EotE,AoR or F&D....congrats...more than likely you know all the rules you need to play Genesys...

Its not the rules I am looking for.  I am well familiar with those. It is how they can be transplanted into any setting.  I think character creation will be very different with talent buys, not careers, and other differences too.

But thanks for your input.