damonteufel

Genesys OGL?

11 hours ago, Gallows said:

I am not quite sure what you're asking or pointing out :)

I'm working on a big project myself, but it is not going to use Genesys or custom dice, although optional custom dice has been prototyped. I don't mind making free stuff for Genesys, and I'll keep working on my small Cthulhu project in my spare time. My point of view is not really personal, but just my opinion on the industry and what can make it evolve. 

I'm saying from FFG's point of view, they can probably achieve success with both approaches (OGL vs open tolerance for fan generated content).

2 hours ago, Endersai said:

I'm saying from FFG's point of view, they can probably achieve success with both approaches (OGL vs open tolerance for fan generated content).

Oh yes, I agree completely. I am simply looking at things from a general perspective of RP evolution. Having a system like Genesys be OGL could influence the Industry massively towards innovation and less fear of thinking outside of the d20, d10 and d6. It could also potentially set up FFG as having a dice system that can be used in many different ways. You can easily use just some of the dice for a simpler system and still get the same type of experience.

I am just of the opinion that FFG should release their NDS on the world and make it completely free to use. If they don't we will certainly see several generic NDS systems in the near future. For the Industry as a whole, it would just be a great starting point, with FFGs system as OGL instead of several different systems, fragmenting the evolution.

Chin up FFG and release the beast on the world and hopefully see your system rise as a great example of innovation and a lot of dice pushed over the counter. :)

3 hours ago, Gallows said:

If they don't we will certainly see several generic NDS systems in the near future. 

I think you are radically over estimating things. Anyone who wanted to "be inspired" by the narrative dice system has had several years with the Star Wars games to put together a new system that used multi-variat dice, it would have been better from a marketing perspective for a small press company to "generify" a Star Wars rpg, than to be obviously copying a generic one. 

Also, everyone should keep in mind that WotC first created an OGL system. And the result was the creation of pathfinder, D&Ds biggest competitor. That’s not a big incentive for FFG, probably the 2nd strongest game company, to copy the idea. 

But what about "Powered by Genesys" books, which are "NOT A COMPLETE GAME" and require the core rulebook to operate? I've seen a bunch exactly like that for 3.X Edition DnD (which stinks since all my books are 5e). It would prevent a Pathfinder situation without a relegating it to the same dusty niche where GURPS resides.

GURPS hasn't had a core update in nearly a decade.

Also, when I was at PAX Unplugged the things that sold RPG systems was theme, setting, and narrative.  Dice systems and mechanics discussion always came second after the buyer was hooked on the previous items.  By cutting off third parties from making books that provide the previously mentioned thing, which still requiring players to purchase a core book for the "actual" heart of an rpg (the rules), it's limiting the potential of the franchise.

1 hour ago, Hugh Salamando Filth said:

I'm all in for a "Powered by Genesys" or "Youneed the Genesys Corerule Book to play this" system.

Btw, what does NDS mean?

Narrative Dice System in this forum's context.  Play testers sign Non-Disclosure Agreements with FFG when they test.

21 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

You're thinking of NDA; Non-Disclosure Agreement.

NDS stands for, as others have said, the Narrative Dice System.

Thanks. I never played star wars and so this is my first game with the system - I haven't got all the lingo down yet. :)

18 hours ago, Gallows said:

Well I'll go with NDS as Nar means fool in my language ?

That and “nards” is slang for testicles.

Can’t really call it NaDS, either, since “nads” is just short for gonads.

I know… this whole thing is just nuts.

Edited by Simon Retold