Sign in to follow this  
RusakRakesh

Genesys - NDS generic book

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/

"The Genesys experience begins with the Genesys Core Rulebook, which features an explanation of the innovative narrative dice system and core mechanics of the game, an overview of five different settings in which to place campaigns, and advice for Game Masters to craft a myriad of adventures with unparalleled freedom."

:o

Edited by RusakRakesh

It'll be used for netrunner, arkham horror and terrinoth once the settings books are out.

10 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

Avatar?  I mean, we could use this for Avatar, right?  Avatar? 

The magic system can't be TOO hard to port over, right? 

A bit off topic, but Twitter just told me a legend of korra boardgame is being made.

25 minutes ago, themensch said:

Hm, well that explains a few things!  I have tried with little success to bolt this dice mechanic onto other systems and settings.  Sure, it can be done, but can it be done well?

The biggest issue I see is classes/careers. Not every setting has the same things. And while something like Pilot or Gadgeteer might work well in Star Wars, it makes little sense in a fantasy game.

I wonder if they just came up with a way to buy talents à la carte...

Dice pools, skills, characteristics, equipment, encumbrance, combat, etc. All of that on its own works fairly well and its really just a matter of tweaking values in ways that work.

6 minutes ago, Kommissar said:

The biggest issue I see is classes/careers. Not every setting has the same things. And while something like Pilot or Gadgeteer might work well in Star Wars, it makes little sense in a fantasy game.

Dice pools, skills, characteristics, equipment, encumbrance, combat, etc. All of that on its own works fairly well and its really just a matter of tweaking values in ways that work.

Yeah, talents are the rub.  Perhaps they offer archetypes and provide guidance for creating them?  That'd work for me. 

It all begins with character creation. Genesys allows you to create a character using four different archetypes that can be applied to many different settings. These archetypes provide the basis for your character, whether they are a skilled laborer or a haughty intellectual, an aristocrat or average human. These archetypes can be found as different jobs in a modern setting, or as a different species on an exotic alien world.

In this case, it looks like archetypes = species. It's easy to forget, but other systems usually don't give base stats based off of the species, so the archetypes seem to fill that role.

Next, your character selects a career to give them a greater focus. This career can be generic, like an entertainer or trader, or be more setting specific, like a knight or mad scientist. From there, your character develops their special skills and talents before diving into the narrative dice system of Genesys.

It doesn't mention specializations, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I guess we'll see.

3 hours ago, themensch said:

Hm, well that explains a few things!  I have tried with little success to bolt this dice mechanic onto other systems and settings.  Sure, it can be done, but can it be done well?

DarthGM has created a couple of modules using the NDS but set in the Fallout verse, specifically Fallout 4 as he's from the area that game was set in.  And it's been a rousing success each time he's run it at GamerNationCon.

3 hours ago, Kommissar said:

Another possibility might be talent sequences, like part of a talent tree, but not the whole thing. Want a Knight? Maybe take what is currently one half of Tactician and pair it with what is one half of Beast Rider. That might work.

Well, that's good news! I wonder if the Genesis system will be close enough to Star Wars that we could just take this huge pile of books, file the serial numbers off and go to town? Can we reverse import stuff from modern day into Star Wars? If we can use Genesis in Star Wars, will they use this opportunity to use this as a test bed for V2.0? Or at least clarify the ambiguous rules that have plagued 1.0?

I wonder what the Setting add-ons in the pipe are? I wonder how the game engine would handle a Super Hero setting? There's so much wildly diverse power sets - Blasters, tanks, scrappers, defenders - that the Jedi system would be woeful inadequate.

7 hours ago, Kommissar said:

I wonder if they have some generics - melee guy, fist guy, ranged guy, face guy, and so on - in the main core rules and we'll have archetypes more specific to the setting in the world books. 

Edited by Desslok

I think every setting does have similar archetypes if you think broadly.  Killer, Talker, Thinker, Maker.  You can dovetail off that into more or less anything and any setting which is the vibe I'm getting from their description.

I'm really excited for this all of a sudden.

I do love Star Wars and this System as well, but one of the two does get old from time to time.

I think I'm gonna have fun creating the occasional one shot with this.

Anybody know if the dice have the same distribution of faces? Because if it's the same we could just use the rediculous amount of dice we already have instead of buying a bunch of new ones.

2 hours ago, RicoD said:

I'm really excited for this all of a sudden.

I do love Star Wars and this System as well, but one of the two does get old from time to time.

I think I'm gonna have fun creating the occasional one shot with this.

Anybody know if the dice have the same distribution of faces? Because if it's the same we could just use the rediculous amount of dice we already have instead of buying a bunch of new ones.

The images in the article suggest the dice have the same (or only slightly redesigned symbols), but I don't think we know if the spread of faces is identical yet.

18 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

but I don't think we know if the spread of faces is identical yet.

Yeah, the spread is what I meant. From the article it was pretty obvious that the type of dice and symbols would be the same.

Ability, Boost, Proficiency, Difficulty, Setback, Challenge.

Success, Advantage, Triumph, Failure, Threat, Despair.

Minus the force dice I guess.

Would be a nice nod to their dedicated Star Wars community to keep it the same. Especially since there isn't really a mechanical reason that we know of to change it.

I guess we just don't know enough yet, and I guess there will be a good amount of preview articles over the next months that will cover these sort of things.

Overall I'm pretty excited for this game and especially curious how it will handle player character archetypes.

Edited by RicoD

Is anyone else worried that they specifically called out Space Opera as a setting you can play in?  I'm not going to start screaming the sky is falling or anything, but building a product that directly competes with this product might be a sign that they have begun planning to wrap up SWRPG.  Which, in all honestly, I would be okay with.  SWRPG already has more content than most other systems that have been around twice as long and at the moment content quality has remained high.  They still have about a year of splatbooks and supplements that would be needed to properly get things buttoned up of course.  After that, I would so much rather them end it with a well thought out plan than do what D&D 3.5 did and drag it out for 2 more years producing imbalanced crap.

I could be way off here.  After all, there are lots of non-SW space operas that have huge fan followings.  I just figured it was worth mention.

As a more on topic comment.  I am super pumped about this release.  Narrative Dice are by far my favorite RPing system but as much as I love SW, sometimes I still get that fantasy itch.  Of course there was always Warhammer Fantasy, but it always felt more like a board game than a true roleplaying experience.  After reading through dozens of different player made adaptions of the narrative dice system, I couldn't be happier that they are making a setting agnostic system.  HYPE!

I wouldn't necessarily say that Genesys and SWRPG are outright going to compete with each other.

I'd rather say, since they will be using the same frame-work, that they could very well be complementing each other.

Since we don't know much else about it other than the narrative dice being used everything else is basically speculation.

Is Genesys going to use Characteristics? Skills? Careers? Wounds? Strain? Defense? If so, are they going to fix defense and can I integrate that into SWRPG? :P

Time will tell I guess, but I see a lot of potential here in terms of adaptability to each other.

Maybe Genesys could even serve as a kind of surrogate 2nd edition for SWRPG, that some people have been asking for? With the added benefit of being setting independant on its own.

So many possibilities! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think the lack of information is a good point. People seem to be assuming we're basically getting Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off, but realistically this could be an opportunity for some huge sweeping changes to the system.

I mean, Star Wars isn't even the first iteration of narrative dice. WHFRP 3e was. And look how massively different that was to EotE.

Although the system as is has been pretty highly praised and has a good following so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to keep things quite similar. We'll see, I guess.

18 hours ago, Kommissar said:

The system would be imo better off without talents, will be interesting to see what they have done with the dice, because the dice of SWRPG are great, while nearly everything else is far to Dnd-infected, heavy on clumsy mechanics, scattered across a million career and splatbooks books.   A more simplified version which is still more complete than the star wars core books would be most welcome. Though I admit, I want to play Numenera first once we get bored of star wars, especially as the efford system from Numenera has a wonderful narrative aspect as well. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

I think that the Genesys system will be 95% of the Star Wars system. The parts that would not be included would be Destiny Points and Obligation/Duty/Morality. There is Archetypes instead of Alien Species although I suspect there might be Species write-ups of Dwarves, Elves, Halfling/Gnome/Little Folk and maybe Orcs in the Fantasy section.

There are Career Specializations but it is the generic ones. Trader, Entertainer, Pilot, Driver, Mechanic, Slicer, Scientist, Doctor. some combat specs. The Fantasy section should also include Knight, Wizard, Priest maybe a Psychic.

8 minutes ago, Alisair Longreach said:

I think that the Genesys system will be 95% of the Star Wars system. The parts that would not be included would be Destiny Points and Obligation/Duty/Morality. There is Archetypes instead of Alien Species although I suspect there might be Species write-ups of Dwarves, Elves, Halfling/Gnome/Little Folk and maybe Orcs in the Fantasy section.

I don't think there will be write-ups. Instead, they'll probably list examples per setting. So if the "strong guy" archetype is an example, in a modern setting archetypes may use occupations, and athlete is the strong guy, but in a fantasy setting it uses races, and dwarf is the strong guy. Setting books more than likely will introduce their own archetypes, if and when get them.

Hopefully, @OggDude can write up a generator for this game as well with little tweaking of the Star Wars generator.

But based on my own experience in software development, that's still a massive amount of work.

I'm with @SEApocalypse, get rid of most of the crunch (i.e. the talents and gear attachments/mods).  The narrative dice are really fun but the crunch in this system causes huge scaling problems in my experience (e.g. heavy blaster rifle + Superior Weapon + Augmented Spin Barrel + Electronic Sighting System + Q22 Retinal Tracker + Mod III Cyberlegs + Mod VI Cyberarms + Deadly Accuracy + Targeted Blow + True Aim = OMGWTFBBQ!).