manfromleng

The Whisperer in Darkness - Wherer Doom Awaits Playthrough

Ashcan Pete and his trusty sidekick, Duke, make a proper attempt at Where Doom Awaits, the fifth Mythos Pack in the Dunwich Legacy cycle. Will the dynamic duo reach the top of the hill or will Duke's nose lead them astray. Tune in to find out! http://bit.ly/2tlL06t

Just a reminder the deadline for the Mythos pack giveaway is this Friday. Find out what you need to do to enter at http://bit.ly/2sbZIg2!

@manfromleng

#arkhamlcg

Edited by manfromleng

MINOR SPOILERS:

Just a quick note, you made a mistake in how the scenario works. You can't use Duke to Investigate the Base of the Hill or the Ascending Path to discover the Diverging or Altered path locations. The ability to discover those locations is contained within an investigate action printed on the location card. In much the same way that you can't combine Duke with a weapon, the action to investigate and thereby discover a new location is a totally distinct  Investigate action from a generic player created one.

You also can't use Flashlights, Look What I Found, Rite of Seeking, Drawn to the Flame, or any of the other standard ways Investigators with low Intellect normally use to offset that deficiency. 

You can only succeed at finding the paths by taking the encounter card's Investigate action, and then passing it with your base Intellect + any static or pumped bonuses, and committed skill pips.

Edited by Whipporwill

Yeah, I just found that out. I was listening to the latest episode of Mythosbusters when I realized to my horror that the playthrough was busted. I've removed the video and will post a new one as time permits. Thanks

Edited by manfromleng

Yeah, I was wondering at first if this was intentionally, as it certainly makes it harder on investigator(s) that depend on Duke or similar. We soldiered on and only barely made it.

On linked question, though. We had the Obscuring Fog come up on the Base of the Hill as early as in the second round, which basically made it theoretical impossible for anyone to succesfully use the special Investigate action there (considering that neither Duke nor Flashlights could be used). The only way to get rid of the Fog was basically to investigate the location even if it has no clues for the sole purpose of getting rid of it - and here Duke finally lept into action. My question, is whether you think that anything prevents you from investigating even if there are no clue tokens nor any other mechanical reason to do so (such as Burglary). Thematically it made sense to me that Duke could at least help you through the fog, even if he was otherwise useless at tracking down the paths. But does it make sense, rules-wise?

1 hour ago, Cremate said:

My question, is whether you think that anything prevents you from investigating even if there are no clue tokens nor any other mechanical reason to do so (such as Burglary). Thematically it made sense to me that Duke could at least help you through the fog, even if he was otherwise useless at tracking down the paths. But does it make sense, rules-wise?

You sure can.

From the FAQ:

• Can I investigate a location with no clues on it? If I do, what happens?
  • Yes. You can investigate a location even if there are no clues on it.  However,you won’t be able to discover any clues there, because there are no clues on the location to discover.  Investigating a location with no clues might still be useful to trigger card abilities such as Burglary (Core 45) or Scavenging (Core 73).

Before I saw the rest of your post, I was planning on commenting that you can perform a normal investigation action (through whichever means) to remove Obscuring Fog.