Sign in to follow this  
Mirith

Genesys: Possible Source of the L5R RPG

that quote at the bottom, 

The Genesys system isn't limited to the settings found in the core rulebook, either. Keep your eyes out for future supplemental material that will provide in-depth guides to additional settings!

certainly makes it sound like they've got plans. Katrina Ostrander, the story lead, was also retweeting stuff about using it for Android explicitly, and "other settings". I can't really see them investing in another system, and given we "know" (sort of, based on the horvath quote from GAMA) they are interested in doing more rpg stuff, it seems like a safe bet. 

I personally have felt for a long time that FFG would create a new L5R RPG system off of their narrative dice; after all, it is their flagship RPG system. That being said, I feel as though Rokugan as a setting demands a bit more specialized systems than could easily be adapted from a generic book such as this one. I fully expect to hear of an L5R RPG in the near(ish) future, if only because to not do so would be a waste of the IP (same as I expect/hope a L5R miniatures game revolving around either a Descent/Imperial Assault/Mansions of Madness design or something in line with the Rune Wars system) but I also believe it will be its own entity. The setting merits a core, expansions, adventure modules, etc-- something like any of the 3 current Star Wars RPGs or the old Warhammer Fantasy game.

10 minutes ago, Zetsubou said:

I personally have felt for a long time that FFG would create a new L5R RPG system off of their narrative dice; after all, it is their flagship RPG system. That being said, I feel as though Rokugan as a setting demands a bit more specialized systems than could easily be adapted from a generic book such as this one. I fully expect to hear of an L5R RPG in the near(ish) future, if only because to not do so would be a waste of the IP (same as I expect/hope a L5R miniatures game revolving around either a Descent/Imperial Assault/Mansions of Madness design or something in line with the Rune Wars system) but I also believe it will be its own entity. The setting merits a core, expansions, adventure modules, etc-- something like any of the 3 current Star Wars RPGs or the old Warhammer Fantasy game.

Literally why I'm learning to paint minis

Just now, Zetsubou said:

Honestly I think it would be an egregious waste of strong minis systems and an ideal setting if they didn't. Seems a safe bet to me to develop the skill!

And it's a good excuse to finally get Imperial Assault. :ph34r: 

Practicing my technique on dem storm troopers has taught me a lot about paint thinning already.

30 minutes ago, Zetsubou said:

I tend to agree that it will a narrative dice with its own core. Not only do you have to have a system for things like dueling, but the five rings themslves have always been a part of the rpg. Hate to lose that to a generic system.

(...) and featuring the critically acclaimed Narrative Dice System.

Well, good thing I started working on my own L5R game. If L5R really becomes a setting to this game, which was already being speculated and would be really stupid if they don't do it, seems I'm out.

I hate the guts of any system that demands specialized dice and for all I have read and heard, even from people who really liked the Star Wars FFG RPG, this system is specially obnoxious.

23 minutes ago, Yandia said:

The symbols look more functional than the Star Wars symbols.

My main criticism of the system was that I simply could not get used to parsing the symbols in a decent amount of time and every dice roll turned into a chore. 

Not sure if I would be happy to see L5R with Genesys.

Agreed. Playing Star Wars I ended up dreading dice rolls. It got to the point I would just roll and assume the GM wasn't going to cheat me when he figured out the results.

I like the idea of narrative dice, or that they supply additional levels beyond the binary or binary w/ critical systems we've seen in the past.  7th Sea has a similar system that I think is interesting (Though I haven't played it yet, will at GenCon), but at least it isn't custom dice.

Does Star Wars use the philosophy of "GM Never rolls dice"?

I'm unsure of why some people struggle so much with the custom dice. Not to say anyone who feels that way is wrong, I just don't see how pairing neutralizing symbols until you had leftover "result" dice and working from there was any more difficult than some of the math even relatively simple systems like the WH40k d100 used, after you factor in degrees of success, modifying conditions, referencing success tables when appropriate, etc. Sure, at first narrative dice required an adjustment period, but I've been playing with them since 3rd Ed of the Warhammer Fantasy RP (where I was exclusively GM for a great many campaigns, granted) and it didn't take too long for it to become second nature.

2 minutes ago, Mirith said:

I like the idea of narrative dice, or that they supply additional levels beyond the binary or binary w/ critical systems we've seen in the past.  7th Sea has a similar system that I think is interesting (Though I haven't played it yet, will at GenCon), but at least it isn't custom dice.

Does Star Wars use the philosophy of "GM Never rolls dice"?

The GM pretty much HAS to roll. 

He's essentially rolling against you.

Just now, Zetsubou said:

I'm unsure of why some people struggle so much with the custom dice. Not to say anyone who feels that way is wrong, I just don't see how pairing neutralizing symbols until you had leftover "result" dice and working from there was any more difficult than some of the math even relatively simple systems like the WH40k d100 used, after you factor in degrees of success, modifying conditions, referencing success tables when appropriate, etc. Sure, at first narrative dice required an adjustment period, but I've been playing with them since 3rd Ed of the Warhammer Fantasy RP (where I was exclusively GM for a great many campaigns, granted) and it didn't take too long for it to become second nature.

Problem with custom dice is that the symbols don't match what is standard on all the dice I already have spent too much money on.  To many people, myself included, dice are a very personal thing.  I like the pretty colors.  I like having my own set.  I don't like people messing with them.  You get one roll with my dice before I start slapping your hand.  Now I need to buy a new set that does not match anything I already have, and they are fixed in color and appearance.

The alternatives are to look at a mapping table, which is awkward, or use an App, which is both awkward and not fun to me.

If someone has another alternative, I'm open to suggestions.  I'm not going to paint new symbols on my dice though.

2 minutes ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

The GM pretty much HAS to roll. 

He's essentially rolling against you.

Thanks, I haven't looked.  That is one of the things I thought was interesting about the Cypher system.  It removes the whole "Well the GM has good/bad luck, he should fudge his rolls, etc".  There are certainly arguments against this philosophy, but I felt it was intriguing and removed one aspect of possible NPE.

Problem with custom dice is that the symbols don't match what is standard on all the dice I already have spent too much money on.  To many people, myself included, dice are a very personal thing.  I like the pretty colors.  I like having my own set.  I don't like people messing with them.  You get one roll with my dice before I start slapping your hand.  Now I need to buy a new set that does not match anything I already have, and they are fixed in color and appearance.

The alternatives are to look at a mapping table, which is awkward, or use an App, which is both awkward and not fun to me.

If someone has another alternative, I'm open to suggestions.  I'm not going to paint new symbols on my dice though.

I respect that. Isn't really common amongst my (several) RP groups, although I have a not entirely dissimilar desire to always have a specific set of dice for a given system/game. But maybe that's what makes it easier for me; I have a set of dice for Magic, a set of dice for WH40k (When I played it...), Warmachine, D100 roleplays, D&D, etc so I didn't mind adding to the collection and learning them was more a treat for me than anything else.

5 minutes ago, Mirith said:

Thanks, I haven't looked.  That is one of the things I thought was interesting about the Cypher system.  It removes the whole "Well the GM has good/bad luck, he should fudge his rolls, etc".  There are certainly arguments against this philosophy, but I felt it was intriguing and removed one aspect of possible NPE.

Star wars has a mapping table for standard game dice so I assume this will too

Edited by Kuni Katsuyoshi

Pretty much this exactly.  I only get to bust out my FUGDE dice when we get a Fate or Fate-like game in but the mountains of d10s I have from Exalted are totally being repurposed for L5R. I'm also just not really a fan of how this system in particular handles randomness or at least how it seemed to always fall out in the SW game I played.

2 minutes ago, Klawtu said:

Pretty much this exactly.  I only get to bust out my FUGDE dice when we get a Fate or Fate-like game in but the mountains of d10s I have from Exalted are totally being repurposed for L5R. I'm also just not really a fan of how this system in particular handles randomness or at least how it seemed to always fall out in the SW game I played.

50 points for name dropping Exalted.:lol:

30 minutes ago, Zetsubou said:

I just don't see how pairing neutralizing symbols until you had leftover "result" dice and working from there was any more difficult than some of the math even relatively simple systems like the WH40k d100 used

The problem is not working out the result of the dice, but translating it into narrative action. Sometimes, it is completely crazy because there are results that simply do not fit the narrative at all (navigating through a desert only to bomb your roll with Threats... but you are in the middle of nowhere, what exactly can threaten you?). Other times, the result is nonsensical (my personal favorite, rolling one or more Despair into a bunch of Advantages for maximum confusion). Then you have the LULRANDUM result that breaks the story with some ill-fitting result. The possibilities are pretty much endless here. And the best part is, after all said and done, the end is usually "you gain 1 Strain" or some other cutting of the Gordian Knot as your GM gets fed up and goes full mechanic , killing the whole point of rolling narrative dice. 

By the way, I'm having a deja vu. Somethingsomethingorientaladventures :lol:

Edited by AtoMaki