Sign in to follow this  
Togashi Gao Shan

Spoiler on 'Strange Assebly': Niten Adept

http://www.strangeassembly.com/2017/preview-niten-adept-l5r-lcg-core-set

I'll just paste what I said on the Dragon Clan forums:

He seems 'cool', and potentially very useful in the right circumstances.

That said, I'm still worried that the Attachment focus isn't going to really work. Of course, after tomorrow's previews, we'll have a much better idea. Still, I find that if a deck is based on characters like this -  somewhat poor stats that are supposedly made up for by rather conditional actions - it tends to be very inconsistent.

I hope I'm wrong, of course. Also, even if the attachment theme doesn't work well out of the gate, hopefully there's enough of the 'fate manipulation' theme to at least lay the groundwork for a solid deck.

15 minutes ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

http://www.strangeassembly.com/2017/preview-niten-adept-l5r-lcg-core-set

I'll just paste what I said on the Dragon Clan forums:

He seems 'cool', and potentially very useful in the right circumstances.

That said, I'm still worried that the Attachment focus isn't going to really work. Of course, after tomorrow's previews, we'll have a much better idea. Still, I find that if a deck is based on characters like this -  somewhat poor stats that are supposedly made up for by rather conditional actions - it tends to be very inconsistent.

I hope I'm wrong, of course. Also, even if the attachment theme doesn't work well out of the gate, hopefully there's enough of the 'fate manipulation' theme to at least lay the groundwork for a solid deck.

I hope you are wrong, too. But I am also worried about such conditional effects...

Even then, I see this personality at least good at defense. For what I have seen in the videos played, the game is so fast that defending just one province in a game can be core. And in the right deck this man can make the job.

The fact that he is a 2/1 and not a 2/- is a good point. 

Probably it is a balanced card. Imagine him priced only 1 fate and being 1/1. He would have been too good a defender.

7 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

The art is probably one of my favorites so far.  That's a bad dude. 

I noticed he has no duelist trait. 

I don't think there is a Duelist trait, just a duel effect.

5 minutes ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

I stand corrected. I think I meant it doesn't have a mechanical effect. Like in other FFG traits can trigger things, but don't give mechanical effects, there might be mechanics later on that allow for initiating a duel with a duelist. *As I recall the CCG had a lot of traits on characters that also had mechanical effects, like calvary or conquerer.*

Edit: Finished my thought

Edited by wolfien8

Just now, wolfien8 said:

I stand corrected. I think I meant it doesn't have a mechanical effect. Like in other FFG traits can trigger things, but don't give mechanical effects, there might be mechanics later on that allow for initiating a duel with a duelist.

Sure, I do expect to see cards that play off the duelist trait in time. Maybe a "Duelist Expertise" attachment that only goes on duelists or even duel events that play off keyword? 

As far as the card goes, I love attachment heavy decks and what they bring. I imagine Dragon will have tools to make this guy and their other characters sing. I'm slightly nervous about how prevalent covert ends up being, though. Could be a real thorn for super units.

2 minutes ago, SHARKOSAURUS said:

Sure, I do expect to see cards that play off the duelist trait in time. Maybe a "Duelist Expertise" attachment that only goes on duelists or even duel events that play off keyword? 

As far as the card goes, I love attachment heavy decks and what they bring. I imagine Dragon will have tools to make this guy and their other characters sing. I'm slightly nervous about how prevalent covert ends up being, though. Could be a real thorn for super units.

Covert still allows a other characters to defend, so a player needs to really make sure to have enough. A lot of Crane Lion play I have watched they just trade provinces back and forth and Crane gets the upper hand. Covert counters defense, but defense seems pretty low in general.

7 minutes ago, wolfien8 said:

Covert still allows a other characters to defend, so a player needs to really make sure to have enough. A lot of Crane Lion play I have watched they just trade provinces back and forth and Crane gets the upper hand. Covert counters defense, but defense seems pretty low in general.

Oh no, against Lion and Crane it'll definitely not be as effective. I was talking about super units which seem to be a Dragon focus, though. 

4 minutes ago, Mon no Oni said:

"Covert"? Have I missed anything?

Some rulebook pages got leaked and taken down from an event in France. Covert is a new keyword that allows an attacker with covert so choose a defender without covert. The chosen defender cannot be assigned during the assign defenders phase. Doesn't stop them from moving in or anything like that. 

59 minutes ago, hidasaurus said:

I assume that an attachment that is bowed still contributes it's added military or political bonuses correct?

I would definitely assume so, it's just a bonus to a character's stats, like Old5r items.

His ability is conditional, but super strong; bowing a character of your choice is the strongest effect we've seen so far, it's been on a few cards, but "no attachments" is the least restrictive condition on those cards.  I can see one problem, though; dedicating an attachment to a 2/1 body with low glory isn't exactly a strong "Voltron" move.  Still, that ability might be worth it.  Ready for Battle is starting to look pretty strong against Dragon, that's two bow effects so far.

12 minutes ago, Casanunda said:

I would definitely assume so, it's just a bonus to a character's stats, like Old5r items.

His ability is conditional, but super strong; bowing a character of your choice is the strongest effect we've seen so far, it's been on a few cards, but "no attachments" is the least restrictive condition on those cards.  I can see one problem, though; dedicating an attachment to a 2/1 body with low glory isn't exactly a strong "Voltron" move.  Still, that ability might be worth it.  Ready for Battle is starting to look pretty strong against Dragon, that's two bow effects so far.

Don't think of him as an offensive Voltron, but a defensive one. He defends alone and bows one guy and has 4 strength -> beats the other guy. He is the defensive Voltron. Although another question is, are there limits on times he could use this ability? Say he has 3 attachments, could he defend against three guys by throwing swords at them? I mean that means if you do Voltron him, he will just stop attacks dead in their tracks.

1 minute ago, wolfien8 said:

Also another part of note, it says bow a "Friendly attachment" This seems to imply there are going to be attachments that will attach to an opponent.

We've seen Pacifism and Cloud The Mind so far

Edited by Click5

Also another part of note, it says bow a "Friendly attachment" This seems to imply there are going to be attachments that will attach to an opponent.

We've already seen two that are meant to in Pacifism and Cloud the Mind.

Pacifism already demonstrates this.  There appears to be no restrictions on attachment targets.

We can make solid arguments for both sides of if bowed attachments contribute or not based on Jade Tetsubo and this card, so it is still up in the air.  I would tend to agree with @Casanunda though.

26 minutes ago, wolfien8 said:

Don't think of him as an offensive Voltron, but a defensive one. He defends alone and bows one guy and has 4 strength -> beats the other guy. He is the defensive Voltron. Although another question is, are there limits on times he could use this ability? Say he has 3 attachments, could he defend against three guys by throwing swords at them? I mean that means if you do Voltron him, he will just stop attacks dead in their tracks.

I believe you can use a card's ability only once per turn. Hopefully the other two attachments are strong enough to help him overcome the other two opponents!