WigTii

Attending my first tournament

It's all been said above, but just to reiterate:

• Pack your stuff the night before along with print outs of your list
  • Drink lots of water on the day (I usually limit myself to one [admittedly strong] coffee around lunchtime)
  • Talk to your opponents about their lists and during the game - both to have a laugh and to clarify things before they become an issue
  • Take pics and write it up :) (it's hard to remember to take pics though while a game is going on!)

Water, food, drugs (pain meds).  Sit often, relax and have fun.  Get everything ready the night before, and stupid check it the morning of.

I ended up with really bad hunger pains after my round one last tournament (no outside food), and the cafe guy went on break right when it started. Had to buy an emergency cookie in interim, which helped a bit, but not enough. Fortunately all between games as my first game was over in an hour (I done pretty good that one).

Edited by Darthain

- Water Bottle

- Snacks that dont  need refridgeration. A couple of granola bars is what I take

- Pack your kit the night before - and this seriously helps - in a case flat enough and big enough to fit your fleet and dice/cards/tokens on top of it. It makes it super easy to go from table to table. Sewing kits are surprisingly effective.

- Bring the rest of your armada stuff and leave it in the car in case you messed up your kit packing the high before. 

- Copies of your fleet sheet

Jist remember to fly casual. Don't expect or ask for take backs. If luck dumps on you or you make a boneheaded play, make a point to deflect the anger away from your opponent. A lot of people will recognize and appreciate it.

21 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

Good luck! Hope you have a great time.  I don't have any competitive experience but I will say you will probably learn a lot from your opponents. Pay attention to there tactics and strategy and see how pieces may fit into your strategy.  

Thanks!  I learned much from our battle a few weeks ago.  I'm gonna fly how I do at home with a thematic fleet I'm comfortable with...I'm not worried about winning.  I expect I will learn a few things while I'm there, so my eyes will definitely be open.