Sign in to follow this  
IceBlaze

How to use multiple Creatures in Battlelore

I know with all the expansions that are out with sets of creatures it would be fun to have 2 - 3 creatures on each side especially with epic gameplay. 

What do you suggest to accomodate the new sets coming out for this style of play?  Do you think it's best to stick to one on each side?  If you do have more than one creature how do you apply them without throwing off balance?

If using full war council rules, I suggest just following them as is: say 6 levels per side, can't place more than three levels in any one token spot - i.e. one has up to three levels to expend on creatures, but at the penalty of not being strong in either lore masters or command (or both).

I haven't played many multiple creatures per side games (most of them have been Call to Arms games where one side has drawn two creature bearing cards), but those I have have been fun and in line with the balance that most other adventures/scenarios present.

The most extreme example was a game played using one of the Dwarf expansion scenarios (Axe and Spear, I believe it was) and the pennants side choose to play the Hill Giant, Spider, and Earth Elemental.  Pennant side did prevail, but it was a 6-5 banner count, and the game was in doubt to the last roll.

Thanks, I have played about 5 games but no full lore council yet.  If I understand correctly, you have 3 levels you can use on creatures.  Does that mean you could go for 3 level one creatures, or a level 2 and a level 1 creature? 

Also, I have Call to Arms but haven't played using it yet.  What would be the max amount of creatures you could use with that setup.  I know that each set of deployment cards has one with a creature and you typically can pick two sets to work with.  So does that cap it out at 2 creatures if you're lucky or can you use war council rules to up the number of creatures you can play with?

At present all the creatures are level 1 (except for some the dragons) I don't know about the creature expansion though, so each creature would take up one level on the war council.

Chris

bryceandcallie said:

Thanks, I have played about 5 games but no full lore council yet.  If I understand correctly, you have 3 levels you can use on creatures.  Does that mean you could go for 3 level one creatures, or a level 2 and a level 1 creature? 

Yup, exactly

"Also, I have Call to Arms but haven't played using it yet.  What would be the max amount of creatures you could use with that setup.  I know that each set of deployment cards has one with a creature and you typically can pick two sets to work with.  So does that cap it out at 2 creatures if you're lucky or can you use war council rules to up the number of creatures you can play with?"

If you play by the given rules, then if at least one side draws a creature, the most any side could have is two by the cards.  If neither side draws a creature, then either side can use the war council as described earlier in this thread to place up to three levels of creatures.

Would you be able to have a level 2 creature and a level 1 creature through the cards or only two level one creatures? Or to put it general, can you choose the level of the creature you get from a card?

Somewhere in the errata from DoW, it ws stated that the green banner on the CtA cards that indicated Creatures actually means a level _1_ creature. So, the Hill Giant or EE could be used when placing a Green Banner Creature.

JP