Jump to content
MrMenthe

Rule book peek : deckbuilding page

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, blackheartz said:

I love that Covert can cause honor loss. If you leave one guy up for defence, you will be not be able to declare defenders at all.

There is still no word on what unopposed will net you.  I have heard 3 different rumors.  The first is that if you make an unopposed attack you gain 1 honor.  The second said if you make an unopposed attack the defender loses 1 honor. The last said if you make an unopposed attack, you gain 1 fate.  All of these seem plausible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JRosen9 said:

There is still no word on what unopposed will net you.  I have heard 3 different rumors.  The first is that if you make an unopposed attack you gain 1 honor.  The second said if you make an unopposed attack the defender loses 1 honor. The last said if you make an unopposed attack, you gain 1 fate.  All of these seem plausible.

In the last Facebook live event it was stated that if you have no defenders when a conflict ends, you lose 1 honor to the pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JRosen9 said:

There is still no word on what unopposed will net you.  I have heard 3 different rumors.  The first is that if you make an unopposed attack you gain 1 honor.  The second said if you make an unopposed attack the defender loses 1 honor. The last said if you make an unopposed attack, you gain 1 fate.  All of these seem plausible.

This was addressed in the last podcast.

 

 

I'm excited for covert characters. I was wondering how some clams were going to get around Lion or Crane and their might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JRosen9 said:

There is still no word on what unopposed will net you.  I have heard 3 different rumors.  The first is that if you make an unopposed attack you gain 1 honor.  The second said if you make an unopposed attack the defender loses 1 honor. The last said if you make an unopposed attack, you gain 1 fate.  All of these seem plausible.

That is incorrect. The last L5RLive officially confirmed if an attack is unopposed at the end of the conflict, the defender loses one honor to the bank.

edit: too slow ?

Edited by Zalari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Shu2jack said:

I'm excited for covert characters. I was wondering how some clams were going to get around Lion or Crane and their might.

The game definitely needs some evasion.

Covert, based on the name, is probably going to be a scorpion thing.

I am hoping additional evasion cards show up in the Unicorn card pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yogo Gohei said:

The game definitely needs some evasion.

Covert, based on the name, is probably going to be a scorpion thing.

I am hoping additional evasion cards show up in the Unicorn card pool.

Maybe even a neutral card....perhaps with a slight honor loss for playing it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Yogo Gohei said:

In the last Facebook live event it was stated that if you have no defenders when a conflict ends, you lose 1 honor to the pool.

There is not a small part of me that hates that, but much prefer it to the idea of losing honor for declaring no defenders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Yogo Gohei said:

In the last Facebook live event it was stated that if you have no defenders when a conflict ends, you lose 1 honor to the pool.

I can't check right now, but was it at the end of the conflict, specifically? I thought it was if no defenders were declared you lose the 1 honor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Prepare for War said:

Hmm... Is 10 character cards going to mean 10 cards of the character type total, or 3x copies of 10 different character cards?

I'm guessing the former. Really interesting.

It's 10 character cards total...in the conflict (fate) deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Isawa Kioshi said:

I can't check right now, but was it at the end of the conflict, specifically? I thought it was if no defenders were declared you lose the 1 honor. 

Brad stated it was at the end of the Conflict on the most recent FB Live video. This allows you to bring in Conflict characters to defend without having to lose Honor first.

Edited by Danwarr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Duels: Most people like the new rules, they are accessible.  Only hardcore dueling fans from the old game don't like them.  However, I personally think the argument of "It doesn't make sense thematically" is quite valid (As I have made the argument), but from a game play standpoint I think they are solid.

Roles could still be a multiplayer thing, or it could be a sensei, or both.

I think these 'previews' should still be taken with a grain of salt.  Just because they printed rules doesn't mean they are done.  It could have been a short run, especially since they have "BETA" plastered over everything.

2 minutes ago, Isawa Kioshi said:

I can't check right now, but was it at the end of the conflict, specifically? I thought it was if no defenders were declared you lose the 1 honor. 

End of conflict specifically.

Edited by Mirith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another note in thinking further for GenCon.  The instructions don't say "Mash 2 clans together" but just 30 cards.

I'm guessing that means there will be maybe 2x8 different neutral dynasty cards, with ~14 per in clan.  Based on previous speculation.  Or there will be more than one copy of cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JRosen9 said:

Also another preview.  Imperial storehouse.  Neutral holding. +1 defense.  I  think it says Action: Sacrifice this holding - Draw 1 card

Big "meh" for that one, in my mind.  I've had issues with the Crane holding as it stands, and that one is worse in most cases.  Giving up a dynasty slot can prevent you from pulling the right character at the right time.

 

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

Some fun keywords in there.

Courtesy is pretty neat.  Fingers crossed for a zero cost Courtesy character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casanunda said:

Courtesy is pretty neat.  Fingers crossed for a zero cost Courtesy character.

Pointless speculation: (Based on poor assumptions) If each of these keywords are only showing up in one clan, where are they going to appear?

Ancestral: Dragon

Sincerity: Crane

Pride: Lion

Covert: Scorpion

Courtesy: Unicorn

No Attachments: Crab

Limited: Pheonix

 

Covert is very Scorpion. I can imagine a Crab character who is beefy at the cost of no attachments. Limited feels good with powerhouse kind of spells and Pheonix. So courtesy gets left with Unicorn.

Of course I've got the tingling feeling I've seen limited Keyword already.

I notice restricted isn't on that keyword list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Pointless speculation: (Based on poor assumptions) If each of these keywords are only showing up in one clan, where are they going to appear?

Ancestral: Dragon

Sincerity: Crane

Pride: Lion

Covert: Scorpion

Courtesy: Unicorn

No Attachments: Crab

Limited: Pheonix

 

Covert is very Scorpion. I can imagine a Crab character who is beefy at the cost of no attachments. Limited feels good with powerhouse kind of spells and Pheonix. So courtesy gets left with Unicorn.

Of course I've got the tingling feeling I've seen limited Keyword already.

I notice restricted isn't on that keyword list.

Brad mentioned in one of the Team Covenant videos that keywords will be spread around Clans and not limited. However, we've seen the entire Lion card pool and the only core set card with a keyword is Gunso with Pride. That's not to say there might not be cards that give keywords though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Casanunda said:

Big "meh" for that one, in my mind.  I've had issues with the Crane holding as it stands, and that one is worse in most cases.  Giving up a dynasty slot can prevent you from pulling the right character at the right time.

Not sure its that bad of a holding.  You would typically always use it the turn it comes into play so you are trading 1 dynasty card for 1 conflict card at no honor cost.  I can definitely see lion running this on top of their holding.  Flip this, sac it to draw a card, flip the card that replaces it face up with their holding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Danwarr said:

Brad mentioned in one of the Team Covenant videos that keywords will be spread around Clans and not limited. However, we've seen the entire Lion card pool and the only core set card with a keyword is Gunso with Pride. That's not to say there might not be cards that give keywords though. 

I imagine they'll eventually be spread out, but I get the tingling feeling in the back of my head that the core they'll probably just show up exclusively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prepare for War said:

Hmm, my main takeaway from that is that I must get a table mat like that.

Seriously though, does FFG or another outfit sell something close to this mat? Anyone have any thoughts here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JRosen9 said:

Not sure its that bad of a holding.  You would typically always use it the turn it comes into play so you are trading 1 dynasty card for 1 conflict card at no honor cost.  I can definitely see lion running this on top of their holding.  Flip this, sac it to draw a card, flip the card that replaces it face up with their holding.

There appears to be nothing wrong with this holding IMO.

I could see just about any clan running this.  Crab will likely get the biggest boost from this since they have already shown a Crab character that needs holdings in play to work. Plenty of clans will be happy to see this holding, get the free card and then discard it at the end of the turn.

Or, if they are at a point in the game where their board state is fine they can let it sit to potentially gain some more cards.  Unless you are incredibly unlucky, or decide to get completely ridiculous and cram too many holdings into your deck, this card will pretty much always be amazing when it flips.  At the very least I'll want to fill empty slots with this before stretching with generic characters that may not be on theme for my deck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

Seriously though, does FFG or another outfit sell something close to this mat? Anyone have any thoughts here? 

I think its a table cloth.  And it honestly seems like it would be more confusing than anything.  Your tokens would blend into the mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I imagine they'll eventually be spread out, but I get the tingling feeling in the back of my head that the core they'll probably just show up exclusively.

We've seen both Ancestral and Limited in Dragon though. And people are pretty sure the blurry crane 3 cost from the showcase has Covert. (Not sure about that one, but it looks right)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is confirmation that multiple versions of the same character all count toward the same (3x) limit for that card title.  That was expected since that's how it works for AGOT and LOTR.  I like that there is a minimum and a maximum deck size.  Usually just a minimum is specified in other LCGs, but it's wise to cap it since draw and honor are so intertwine.

I'm still curious how "Out -of-the-Box Play" will work because just allowing a minimum dynasty deck size of 30 doesn't seem to be enough unless I'm missing something.  The role cards must have significant deck building altercations on them.  That and/or there is more Out-of-the-Box Play instructions on the next page (which is very probable).  I wonder what the role cards are thematically? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...