MrMenthe

Rule book peek : deckbuilding page

Very nice. I wish they'd just release the rulebook already, since it's already been printed. 

I get that the slow-ish drip of information is usually the best way to build and keep excitement for a product that won't be sold widely until at least October. Still, having the rules completely cemented puts everything else they show in a more complete context.

As for 'Roles', I want to see them now, too, but I have a feeling we wont see them before GenCon. It does seems very likely they're similar to Sensei, and given that there are 5 of them in the core set, they might be cards that give you an additional or alternate benefit from a specific Ring, at some sort of cost (less stronghold province strength bonus, starting honor, influence, etc).

6 minutes ago, franzvong said:

Interesting, thanks a lot. Any chance to show more pages? :D

And nice info about roles. What were "Sensei" cards in the CCG?

They were a card you would start the game with, in play attached to your stronghold.  They would give you modifications that ranged from different actions, to global modifiers such as "All Ratlings count as your Clan"  They could modify your stronghold stats for defense, gold production, and honor.  They were typically clan restricted, so only certain clans could use certain sensei.

Ah ok, so similar to "Agenda" cards in AGOT CCG (and from what I see, also the LCG, that I did not play)

Interesting, as FFG usually released this kind of cards quite late in the game progression, never (as far as I know) right away in the core set. This should allow for a broader range of decks from the beginning.

Edited by franzvong

20 minutes ago, franzvong said:

Interesting, thanks a lot. Any chance to show more pages? :D

And nice info about roles. What were "Sensei" cards in the CCG?

shika%20sensei.jpg?1415251430

A sensei modified your stronghold (province strength, gold, starting honour) and gave extra options during the game. Most enabled certain themes.

Edited by Mig el Pig

I think the bidding system clearly states it's only a 2-player game... However... (thinking at this moment)... It could work for multiplayer if the highest bidder just paid Honor to the lowest bidder, and those in the middle pay nothing... (thinks more)... but I don't know how highest and lowest bid ties would resolve...

Show us the complete rulebook!! :(

Edited by Culoman

Multiplayer formats usually follow different rules, I would be surprised if they are already part of the core rulebook. More probable they will be released in future, maybe with some additional "role" cards specific to such format

Multiplayer rules were in AGoT's core sets (for both versions of the LCG). But, to be honest, I don't expect multiplayer rules in L5R's core set.

@Culoman Surely you mean "the highest bidder just paid Honor to the lowest bidder".

2 hours ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Thanks a ton! I see confirmation as well that only 1 copy of a specific province can be included, and the suspected restriction of one province per ring association is confirmed. 

FFG confirmed this on the most recent FB Live stream they did. The spoiler here is the "Personality" or "Role" cards which is super fascinating.

46 minutes ago, Prepare for War said:

Hmm... Is 10 character cards going to mean 10 cards of the character type total, or 3x copies of 10 different character cards?

I'm guessing the former. Really interesting.

It's the former: the text is "10 character cards".

17 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

I hope the role cards interact with the Imperial Favor, because of right now I'm feeling that the Imperial Favor could have been a "sacred cow" left out. 

I assume that we will see cards in the future that interact with it.  "Discard the imperial favor to <effect>" was pretty popular on crane cards throughout the game's run.

But, yeah, from what we have seen of the core it seems very tacked on.

Edit: If I am in a conflict and I control the imperial favor, and somehow everyone in the conflict ends up bowed or sent home...do I win?  I think I do, right?

If I control the favor, can I declare an attack and assign no one?  If so, do I win if they don't defend?

I haven't played or watched any games yet, but do these situations ever come up?

Edited by Yogo Gohei

@JJ48 Looks like they covered that case.

@Yogo Gohei I doubt you'll be able to declare a conflict without assigning attackers. That restriction has been in pretty much all FFG games with something like conflicts. I also doubt you'll be able to win a conflict without participating characters (it can't happen in AGoT); on the other hand, it might be possible to win with only bowed characters and the favor (it's much the same as having all your characters' skill values reduced to 0).

Honestly I agree the Favor is a very tacked on mechanic. There isn't a reliable way to get it like it was in the old game. I don't see using it as a requirement for playing cards, maybe as a kicker. I can see tho in this version of the game, they wanted the winning a conflict and thus the rings to have more power so something had to give. So the power shifted from the old favor to the rings. The old ring cards/enlightment are gone. Dueling is janky.

I don't think those situations come up Gohei that you are asking about. Most games I see played the Favor doesn't really matter. However, I think on the attack you have to declare atleast 1 attacker.

Imperial Favor counts as a blanket +1 to whatever Conflict you picked. This is relevant because Attacker wins ties and you need to have at least 1 Skill in a conflict to win. FFG also answered the question about attacking with at minimum 1 character.

FFG has actually showed us a decent amount of the rules, but none of it is really centralized very well.

10 minutes ago, Kakita Katai said:

Honestly I agree the Favor is a very tacked on mechanic. There isn't a reliable way to get it like it was in the old game. I don't see using it as a requirement for playing cards, maybe as a kicker.

If you leave up high Glory guys then it can be easy to snag the Favor. FFG has said they will introduce more cards that interact with having the favor. So far, the only card we've seen that requires having the favor is the Otomo Courtier. The most recent images from France seem to indicate there is also a Bushi version of the Courtier. Cards designed around having the favor is an interesting design space to explore, I think.

17 minutes ago, Danwarr said:

The most recent images from France seem to indicate there is also a Bushi version of the Courtier. Cards designed around having the favor is an interesting design space to explore, I think.

Where can one see these most recent images?  I do remember predicting a Seppun Guardsman Imperial Bushi at one point, and would like to check.